Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2010, 20:05   #301
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
But isn't it the PACKAGE that we buy?
Sure, IMO all the 'car attributes' and 'brand attributes' should be given equal weightage before calling it a good, bad or average package.

Quote:
Bottom line is RIO IS NOT A GREAT VEHICLE AND BEING FROM PAL ITS NOT A GREAT PACKAGE AS WELL.
Agreed. The only positive that we can take out of Rio is that it will surely make other manufacturers to think about the segment it opened up.
Old 11th July 2010, 20:59   #302
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Agreed. The only positive that we can take out of Rio is that it will surely make other manufacturers to think about the segment it opened up.
+1 to this. I loved the concept of small SUV. If Maruti, Hyundai, TATA, or M&M comes with this kind of vehicle I would definitely buy that. Rio - a big no no, I don't want to spend my hard-earned money to a Chinese product like this.
Old 12th July 2010, 13:56   #303
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by HammerHead View Post
Mahindra sure didn't waste any time. Link to 5 seater Xylo thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgsagar View Post
GTO and YC Baleno! I got earfull from you guys. Was my post so offensive?
Hey, no offense was meant at all. My apologies if I sent out the wrong message. After all, its the different viewpoints that lead to healthy educational debates
Old 12th July 2010, 22:41   #304
Senior - BHPian

GTO, thanx for lifting my spirits up! Let me take this opportunity to convey to you that I hold your frank and unbiased reviews on new car launches in high esteem. I find them way better than auto mags.

Just one more word. I am yet eagerly waiting for your review on the legendary Mitsu Evo and I am sure here I speak for everyone on Teambhp.
Old 26th July 2010, 20:17   #305
Senior - BHPian

I usually happen to do my evening jog past the RIO showroom in Koramangala (Bangalore) at around 7 pm.

I really do not know if PAL wants to sell this car, because when all showrooms including the adjoining garments shops are brightly lit, the RIO showroom has remained unlit whenever I cross it, even after dark, even though the showroom is open and the sales guys can be seen moving about in the background !
Old 27th July 2010, 09:55   #306
Senior - BHPian

I did have chance to see the Rio during my trip to Bangalore, I must accept the concept as such was of my liking, a hatch turned to an SUV.

I guess if someone like Maruti or Hyundai had this job ( I mean converting a hatch to a mini SUV) they would have succeded, provided the finishing was better.

I would bet Fusion would have been one good contender for a mini SUV makeover.
Old 27th July 2010, 11:38   #307
aby
BHPian

Saw a Rio in Bangalore roads, couldn't click a pic as I decided that negotiating the traffic was in the better interest of my safety.

Anyways contrary to popular opinion, I think it is quite a looker . Better looking than the Gypsy (Or maybe because we in India have only been exposed to Gypsy and a few ugly looking M&M contraptions in that range bar the Bolero Invader), it could have been a hell of a package had it been introduced by the likes of Maruti, Hyundai or even Tata Motors.

I just wish this Mini SUV (with a decent off-roading capabilities) is revived by mainstream auto manufacturers so that we don't have to suffer the ignominy of having to see this Chinese tinpot junk jostling for Indian Road space.

Under 4m, with our national engine, and decent off-road capabilities plus equipment, selling for 7-9 Lakhs. If only wishes were horses
Old 27th July 2010, 12:06   #308
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooza View Post
... when all showrooms including the adjoining garments shops are brightly lit, the RIO showroom has remained unlit whenever I cross it, even after dark, even though the showroom is open and the sales guys can be seen moving about in the background !
Ah, must be due to a power cut. Iam sure they will buy a decent generator with the proceeds from the first Rio sale in bangalore.
Old 27th July 2010, 18:47   #309
BHPian

The Rio i.e the Daihatsu was a popular seller here in Europe and in the middle east.

It gave the Mitsubishi Shogun Pin (i.e the mini shogun) a run for its money.
Being 4 doors it was preferred to the the Suzuki Jimmy.
Old 9th August 2010, 17:09   #310
BHPian

Rio has a decent look.. But its surely disappoints in other aspects. I have seen many of these compact SUV's in Malaysia. Nissan, Toyota has cool compact SUV's which would definitely be a hit here in India.

Wondering, why these folks always hesitate to bring in these cars here :(
Old 9th August 2010, 17:25   #311
Senior - BHPian

What Rio can do at best: "opening the shelf" for the compact SUV segment.
Let us stay away from this vehicle dear TBHPians, but at the same time, let's pray for the Rio to do some volume sales. If it will, the other players (with a better pedigree) will jump in and then...

So whenever you see a Rio on road, rejoice! (I'm still waiting for the my turn to do so, as a matter of fact).
My 2 cents.

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 9th August 2010 at 17:27.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:25   #312
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

here is the little RIO
its not bad really.

I stopped the dealers test car because I saw it on the road near my house and asked the very obliging driver to let me sit in it and drive it for a short distance. ( I had to chase it a bit and honk and flash my lights at him till he noticed me and stopped. On account of its compact size and the fact that the test driver was clipping, I was pretty hard pressed to catch up with the Rio in my Scorpio - also I really didnt wish to gun the Scorpio on the wet roads in my neighbourhood especially with so many people and traffic around.)
Driving it isnt so bad - its reasonably powerful for a small family - i felt it was just a tad bigger than the WagonR.
My knees however found a distinct lack of room - kept banging into the steering column and front dash bulkhead.
else the car felt quite nice on the short distance I drove it. Slightly squashy gearbox though.
The ground clearance was its most impressive point. Luggage space is pretty limited unless the rear seat is put down. Tyre size is nice and the alloys are also nice - 15 inchers so the vehicle feels quite good over potholes and speed breakers.
It is not a top heavy sort of vehicle and doesnt feel really bad around corners. The power window switches are located most horrendously.
Brakes were pretty good and the ABS kicks in quite quickly - it was a wet day a few days ago when I first saw and experienced the Premier RIO

While everyone in general is sceptical about it, I think it is an interesting try by Premier.
I spoke to the dealership - there is one in 5th Block Koramangala Bangalore - they said that the new RIO is expected this week - it is an uprated upgraded version of the existing one - some few more bells and whistles added in.
Lets see what numbers it does over the next 6months to a year and whether it lasts the course!
I think that if nothing else, it will at least serve to open up this hitherto untapped segment of vehicles - small compact SUV's.

This kind of vehicle is the ideal one for a young couple with a couple of small kids who want something as an alternative to the run of the mill boring hatch backs and sedans that are all over the place.
Attached Thumbnails
New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10-20082010536.jpg  

New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10-20082010537.jpg  

New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10-20082010534.jpg  

Last edited by shankar.balan : 1st September 2010 at 16:28.
Old 1st September 2010, 16:40   #313
Distinguished - BHPian

That chrome lip on front grille is garish. That needs to go out fast.

@Shankar, how's NVH, seats comfort & luggage space at the back ?
Old 1st September 2010, 18:18   #314
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
here is the little RIO
its not bad really.
To be fair, we have to compare the Rio's fit and finish with the other budget SUV, the Bolero and not the latest hatchbacks like Polo or i-20.

Last edited by Mpower : 1st September 2010 at 20:58.
Old 3rd September 2010, 10:46   #315
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

Hi!

NVH:Quite a noisy little beast when heard from outside. Typical diesel clatter from the TUD5 engine. Quite similar to the DI Bolero - sounds a bit like a tiller. But with the Windows up, the noise is surprisingly lessened.

Seats: for a tall man - bad under thigh support. also despite the seats being pushed completely back as far as possible my knees were banging the front dash/ steering column/ bulkhead.
Long drives would be a pain on account of this.

Luggage space: Very Average. With the rear seats put down yes there is a bit of extra space. Enough for a young couple or couple with 2 small kiddies. Not enough space in the back to put a golf bag in normally. With the rear seat down, if kept at an angle then it can fit a standard golf bag. Else it cant.

This vehicle can probably best be compared with the Maruti Wagon R except for the tyre/ wheel size, ground clearance and the fact that it is diesel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
That chrome lip on front grille is garish. That needs to go out fast.

@Shankar, how's NVH, seats comfort & luggage space at the back ?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks