Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2009, 12:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

From the pictures, the front end of the PAL 'mini SUV' looks like a M800 on stilts and the side profile looks like a Suzuki Jimny.

The truth is, there is a market for a mini SUV, but can the PAL product fill that space? I am not so sure.
Old 11th September 2009, 13:06   #47
Senior - BHPian

Since I was in KL this week and had an idea about the PAL baby, I didn't miss a chance to click some pics of this vehicle. Its in "PLENTY" in KL. So, it means its reliable, cheap to run and had decent interiors as well.
Old 11th September 2009, 17:01   #48
BHPian

New Premier Product

Very interesting indeed. Premier should improve quality of their products. I have driven their Roadstar a month back. Interior quality was below average. Eventhough it is a brand new vehicle, streaks of rust can be seen behind door hinges.
Old 11th September 2009, 18:33   #49
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
From the pictures, the front end of the PAL 'mini SUV' looks like a M800 on stilts and the side profile looks like a Suzuki Jimny.

The truth is, there is a market for a mini SUV, but can the PAL product fill that space? I am not so sure.

Very true, There are so many people (like me) who want to buy a SUV but the current breed of indian SUV's are sold at a priced way too high. A cheaper, smaller and reliable SUV will fill up the gap but only if it is reliable and PAL gives good ***.

Last edited by bhogalrajnish : 11th September 2009 at 18:45. Reason: spel
Old 11th September 2009, 18:39   #50
BHPian

We are again going overboard in criticising, this time the PAL plans. The market has accepted a VFM product (XYLO, Dzire and Logan) and may be the tier 2/3 cities may embrace this SUV.

The company is trying hard to catch up the auto boom with minimum investment, who know clicking of this product in market, might pave way for better products. Cometition has always helped.

If Maruti can sale 20 years old products (with no/minor changes) in Omni and 800, I do not see any the criticism justified.
Old 11th September 2009, 18:44   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy_u View Post
However it may not be able to pass the current regulation for emission as also the Most of the parts are sources from actual Peugeot company as i have had to source some parts for some major issues, so that engine is reintroduced PAL will need to work painstakingly to import and make spares available which i don't think would be practical at this stage. ( I may be wrong).
Sensible comment! PAL simply doesn't have the inhouse resources to make this engine compliant with the new emission norms (due in 2010).

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo View Post
I find PAL to be quite clever in the way they deal with investments. They are reportedly spending around 1 crore to start selling the Chinese Daihatsu ripoff.
They are obviously smart with their money. Despite the debacle of their manufacturing units, they are sitting on 1,000 crores hard cash (from sale of property).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranc View Post
good one evo, but on a serious note the baby suv does not look half as bad, if they can play with the engine it might turn out to be a good buy.
Wait till you hear more of how it drives. First hand info from someone who has been behind the wheel = C-R-A-P!
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2009, 20:03   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaserQ View Post
interestingly skoda is trying to enter the same segment of mini SUV with the Yeti priced at ~ 10 - 12L
Old 11th September 2009, 20:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

Why not I ask? Most of the roads in B towns are next to non existent. Even cities like Mumbai have poth holed roads that need a vehicle with higher ground clearance.

The road that I take to go to my office has already started giving me back aches and I am scared to take my car on that road. Given, the scenario, this mini SUV fits the bill perfectly. If they price it right, spruce up the interiors (as mentioned in the report), give a decent warranty and service back up, why shouldn't it sell? If the Logan can, why not this? If no one, atleast people who dream to have a diesel SUV that is cheap to run and looks decent will lap it up.
Old 11th September 2009, 20:58   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
Since I was in KL this week and had an idea about the PAL baby, I didn't miss a chance to click some pics of this vehicle. Its in "PLENTY" in KL. So, it means its reliable, cheap to run and had decent interiors as well.
Yes Perodua Kembara is same as Treios. In fact all of Peodua's models come from Daihatsu. But the reason they are plenty is because of favourable taxation for local brands like Proton and Perodua nothing else.
Old 11th September 2009, 21:13   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
But the reason they are plenty is because of favourable taxation for local brands like Proton and Perodua nothing else.
Could be. However, there are other high end cars too . I still think I'll take one if the Ford car fails to make me smile.
Old 12th September 2009, 10:54   #56
evo
BHPian

Even if the car is more or less driveable and you take solace from the fact that its quite popular in Malaysia, I look at it in only one way.

PAL spends a crore to get the car and try and sell it. PAL fails, so no more spares, no more support and the guys who bought it end up with no where to go.

If they are spending that little then there is absolutely no reason for them to try very hard to support the product and so on. They can just wash their hands off it incase something goes wrong (like their bolt on turbo falling off!) and thats just the engine.

I`m somehow sceptical that they will keep any significant stock of items such as bumpers, mirrors, lights and other normal 'accident' prone parts.
Old 12th September 2009, 11:02   #57
Senior - BHPian

Good to hear of this developement from Premier Auto.Hope the product comes out well for Indian markets.
Old 12th September 2009, 11:19   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillram View Post
Good to hear of this developement from Premier Auto.Hope the product comes out well for Indian markets.
all said and done, I appreciate PAL's "never say die" attitude. Hope they do a clean job. just hope.
Old 12th September 2009, 15:31   #59
Senior - BHPian

Facelift Zotye 2008

The facelift version looks more presentable..

New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10-zotye5008.jpg

New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10-zotye50081.jpg

New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10-zotye50082.jpg

New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10-zotye55008interior.jpg

There sure is a big market for such vehicle but I wouldn't put my money to this SUV only because of reliability of the company behind it. And if something like this comes out of Suzuki stable at this price with diesel.

Pic source

EDIT: On second thoughts, its not that bad if available at 4 or 5 Lakhs price range with 4x4. Even the resale of SWB pajero or prados from 80s and 90s is more than that.

Last edited by Ym-enjn : 12th September 2009 at 15:41.
Old 12th September 2009, 16:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
The facelift version looks more presentable..
whatever which way we look at it,it looks like we are absolutely fine in getting the copycat cars to india.
I'm not. Let that kinda business work in China. atleast we can have our business ethics clean. well, thats just my view.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed