Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 20th October 2009, 17:51   #106
Senior - BHPian

This is a poor, half hearted but low risk attempt by Premier to have a go again in the Indian market. They do not have much overhead expenditure, all they need to do is just bring in these kits from China and knock them up together and sell it.
Even the Chinese Co. that sell the kits sounds dodgy, it was established only in 2005 and started making these cars in 2008. Their website is a joke
Introduction -ZHE JIANG ZOTYE AUTO CO., LTD.
The biggest gamble will be for the prospective customer who puts his money down on such a product.
Old 20th October 2009, 19:11   #107
Senior - BHPian

Here Premier is acting like those Impex firms who bring in a product, if its a hit then second shipment comes otherwise forget it.
They are surely is playing fire and forget here...
Old 20th October 2009, 20:10   #108
Senior - BHPian

Will they succeed? It will open a new segment in our auto market then.
what if it fails? That will be most probably the end of PAL.

In either case, it is good for our automotive scene.

Till then, let us keep our fingers crossed and keep a very safe distance from this vehicle. Let us see just how Vidhoor it Sanchar...
Old 20th October 2009, 21:27   #109
Senior - BHPian

This car should do well in the non-metros and rural areas.
No knowledgeable car buyer will go for this car. We can see it in the same vein as the Rhino.
But yes,there's a lot of market for a car like this.A 5 lac diesel SUV really sounds a good bargain.
Old 21st October 2009, 08:51   #110
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
No knowledgeable car buyer will go for this car. We can see it in the same vein as the Rhino.
Could you explain why Knowledgeable car buyer would not go for this SUV? What is the problem you see apart from service centres?

If product is good and reliable it will sell like anything due to price factor. With the specification I cannot see any problem. 90 BHP power would not be a decent proposition?

Is your view biased as this SUV is tagged with Chinese Manufacturer and PAL? If this is so It may not be good. For you information Chinese car manufacturer makes way good car than any of the Indian manufacturer.

Let me ask one question to everyone. If this same SUV, with same spec being launched by Suzuki/Mahindra in Indian market. Then what would be your view.

Sonalika Rhino is all in all different car and for different market segments. We should not compare this with Sonalika.

Let me remind at Metro also people with limited income stays. Not all can afford Fortuner, Endeavour, Safari or so.

Only thing which PAL has to strengthen is its service network. If service network is good. Then it would be hot selling Baby SUV.
Old 21st October 2009, 09:11   #111
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

looks nice certainly,

we appear to be extremely judgemental without even having seen or experienced the end product so I think we need to hold our horses a bit.

This vehicle at the price named, might just open up a huge new segment of consumers who may want a hatch type baby SUV with 4x4 (which I hope it has atleast as an option) so that they can take those little adventure holidays which are becoming increasingly popular. Coupled with Diesel power this could be an excellent alternative to say, the Santro's, I 10's and Swifts of the world. 98BHP looks nice. and the TUD5 engine was a good engine. the trim levels offered at the price certainly make it seem like an attractive proposition.

there is an absolute lacuna in the marketplace at the moment for a baby SUV at around this price bracket - this one may well fill that lacuna - somewhat like the Suzuki Jimmy/ Jimny does abroad.

If the vehicle is expected in Nov 2009 then let us await it and then make our comments - after all, the proof of the pudding is in the eating of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmarine View Post
Source: Premier Rio Review, Premier Rio Price, Premier Rio India, Finance Premier Rio, Comparison, Images & Videos, Models, Variants | Autos at MaxAbout.com

Premier Rio

Prices & Review
Expected Price
Rs. 4,90,000
* Mumbai. May vary.

Expected In November 2009

VEHICLE SUMMARY
Name : Rio
Car Body Type : UV
Segment : C Segment
Top Speed : 145
Fuel Consumption Highway : 17.00 kmpl.
Fuel Consumption City : 13.00 kmpl.

ENGINE SPECIFICATIONS

Displacement : 4 cylinder inline,SOHC,
Engine Type : Diesel
Maximum Power : 98 Bhp @ 6000 rpm
Maximum Torque : 133 Nm @ 3000 rpm

DIMENSIONS

Length : 3900 mm
Width : 1555 mm
Height : 1670 mm

OTHER SPECIFICATIONS

Seating Capacity : 5
Tyre Size : 205/70 R15
Suspension : Front: Mcpherson Rear: 5 rods
Turning Circle : 4.70 mtrs.
Steering : Power
Brakes : Front Disk, Rear Drum
Gears : 5 Manual
Ground Clearance : 190.00 mm
Kerb Weight : 1145.00 kgs.
Fuel Tank : 46.00
Body Color Bumpers : Yes
Tachometer : Yes
Alloys : Yes

COMFORT AND CONVENIENCE

AC : AC without Climate Control
Power Windows : Yes
Central Locking : Remote
Remote Boot : Yes
Remote Fuel Filler : Yes
Rear Wiper : Yes
Rear Defogger : Yes
Rear Armrest : With Cup Holder
Driver Seat Adjustment : Manual
Door Mirror : Driver Side Manual
Tinted Glass : Yes
Folding Rear Seats : Yes

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st October 2009 at 09:15.
Old 21st October 2009, 11:53   #112
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
This is a poor, half hearted but low risk attempt by Premier to have a go again in the Indian market. They do not have much overhead expenditure, all they need to do is just bring in these kits from China and knock them up together and sell it.
Even the Chinese Co. that sell the kits sounds dodgy, it was established only in 2005 and started making these cars in 2008. Their website is a joke
Introduction -ZHE JIANG ZOTYE AUTO CO., LTD.
The biggest gamble will be for the prospective customer who puts his money down on such a product.

why should it not succeed, look at its roots, comes from the Toyota/Dahitsu stable I am sure it cannot be a bad car, it is just an older model which has been retired from its services, if Tata can make the winger from the Renault Traffics older moulds and plonk in their Tata Sumo/Safari engines. If ford can introduce Figo from the older fiesta platform, why PAL should not attempt something similar.

If the 90 bhp engine that it is supposed to get is true, I find no reason why this mini SUV will not do well, orginal news was for a 65 bhp engine that would have been a let down.
Old 21st October 2009, 12:11   #113
BHPian

Diesel engine with 6000 RPM? True or Typo error?

98bhp is decent/adequate power for a car of this size
3900mm length, 1.5 ltr diesel engine all aimed at lower taxes and so low price. I can only be happy if another Indian car manufacturer comes to life and play its game catering to market requirements successfully!
Old 21st October 2009, 12:21   #114
Senior - BHPian

Interesting! Diesel engine having a peak bhp at 6000 rpm, and the torque seems to be very less for a diesel engine. In fact, these characteristics look very "petrol"ish.

Anyway, all the best for Premier. At the least, they can make other manufacturers realize that there is a category that no one has exploited yet.
Old 21st October 2009, 14:19   #115
BHPian

Rhino vs Rio?

Will there be a competition between Rhino and Rio?

If Rio could be a quality Mini-SUV, with good ride and handling, good build quality and good FE, we should welcome it. Just beacuse it is a CKD from China or made by PAL, we should not be prejudiced to rate it lower. After all Toyota cars were once treated as crap by the western world and it took quiet some time for Toyota to prove it's might and come out as a winner.
Old 21st October 2009, 14:38   #116
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Could you explain why Knowledgeable car buyer would not go for this SUV? What is the problem you see apart from service centres?

If product is good and reliable it will sell like anything due to price factor. With the specification I cannot see any problem. 90 BHP power would not be a decent proposition?

Is your view biased as this SUV is tagged with Chinese Manufacturer and PAL? If this is so It may not be good. For you information Chinese car manufacturer makes way good car than any of the Indian manufacturer.

Let me ask one question to everyone. If this same SUV, with same spec being launched by Suzuki/Mahindra in Indian market. Then what would be your view.

Well,would you buy a Chery QQ or a Shuanghuan CEO?! I certainly won't,and so would most of the people on this forum.There's a certain thing known as taste and there's none in those worthless Chinese copycats.The Zoyte is a little better off than the worst,but thats it.Its still a dead-ringer for the Daihatsu Terios.

I've already mentioned that it IS a decent proposition.But about quality,I still have my reservations.

Oh! Are you trying to say that the Chinese make better cars than Tata or Mahindra?! Get your facts right dude.Or else go ahead and buy the baby SUV.

A 5 lakh diesel SUV would fly off shelves if it were produced by Mahindra/Tata/Maruti.For obvious reasons such as brand value/presence, dealer and service network.PAL can't pull it off with its scarred reputation and China underpinnings.
Old 21st October 2009, 15:02   #117
BANNED

Infractions: 0/3 (12)

Despite all the points of view that appear to flying around like shrapnel - I think there is a chance for this vehicle to succeed provided the quality, refinement, fit, finish and finesse are good - the price is definitely attractive and who knows, it might work!

Considering Maruti have for years been flogging that curiously odd vehicle - the Versa - with Mr B and his off spring trying their combined best to convince us (but not quite succeeding) that what we are viewing is actually a car and not an ugly Van, then why can't dear old PAL be given a chance to take a shot at the market with the Rio? According to me, the Rio at least looks better than the Versa and it is after all a Diesel, which our countrymen certainly value highly. Plus of course as someone said, it does come with the old gen Toyota pedigree too. I mean, someone in the world of cars needs to take notice of this lacuna in the market place and attack it. I am sure once this Rio is launched then all the other chaps will barge in to this space as well - all of which will ultimately benefit the consumer!

Maybe it will motivate Maruti to stop fiddling with idiot boxes like the Versa, Estilo and the like and bring in a Smart, Compact, Urban SUV like the Jimmy/Jimny or upgraded/ modernized Samurai/ Gypsy instead!

let us wait to see the product and then make our decisions

Last edited by shankar.balan : 21st October 2009 at 15:05.
Old 21st October 2009, 15:11   #118
Senior - BHPian

Zotoye only started making this car last year, so although based on the last generation Daihatsu Terios nobody knows if the Zotoye assembled version with Chinese components is proven or not. It does not use a Daihatsu/Toyota powertrain, Zotoye only brought the dyes for the body panels.
There are plenty of fly by night car/motorcycle makers in China and reputation is not their highest priority, in such a scenario its really strange that Premier has found comfort in such a car maker rather than any of the more established Chinese cos.
Premiers reputation itself is highly questionable. Their customer service standards were appalling in their hey day and even during the last years there was no effort from their side to improve when international cos. came and raised the game.
As a package on paper, i agree that it looks good and there might be a void for a small SUV ( a 1.5 ltr. Diesel making 90 bhp, is too good to be true), but for people investing 5 lacs, they will require support from the dealer network and company during the life span of the car, and this dodgy marriage of a new born Chinese co. and a failed Indian co. seems to be the least qualified to do so.
Old 21st October 2009, 18:05   #119
Senior - BHPian

Ritz is our baby SUV (looks like mini CRV-old version) and bullet proof Suzuki technology and service, in same price, same 5 seater capacity. What chance does Rio hold against the most competetive super hatch segment for which India is world hub. (PAL has to think about this)

I guess there is a very thin chance of Rio coming with 4x4. If not 4x4, I would anyday buy Ritz diesel over this one.
Old 21st October 2009, 18:08   #120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Well,would you buy a Chery QQ or a Shuanghuan CEO?! I certainly won't,and so would most of the people on this forum.
Your views cannot be extrapolated to entire forum and India. We can consider this is your personal view.

If you talk about quality. People buy Safari, Indica from Tata and live with them satisfactorily and quality would not be good.

Please find atleast one un-biased review of any car in this forum which did not talke about bad quality or a particular car. With its price factor certainly people will take chance and will try to live with.

On the other hand Chinese car makers really going global. Hummer brand from GM is sold to chinese company.

Chinese company buying major stake in Indian GM. 10 years down the line you can see many chinese cars at least in India. See more information below.

Hummer going global under Tengzhong’s watch | China Car Times
Closed Thread

Most Viewed