Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st October 2009, 18:15   #121
Senior - BHPian

Came across this news stating that the new SUV will be called Rio.

Source : Premier to launch its new vehicle `RiO`

Article :
Quote:
Premier announced that it is re-entering the passenger vehicle segment by introducing India`s first compact SUV called `RiO`.

Accordingly, the company is holding a press conference, to launch the vehicle on Oct. 28, 2009, at Mumbai.

Deliveries of the vehicle are expected to commence by December`09.

Shares of the company declined Rs 4.5, or 3.01%, to trade at Rs 145.00. The total volume of shares traded was 18,216 at the BSE (3.31 p.m., Tuesday).
Old 21st October 2009, 20:38   #122
Senior - BHPian

Didn't expect it to come this soon! BTW, saw Premier's 'Premier Rio.. coming soon' ad in Auto Bild India (Nov edition). Let see how this turns out. I can only see.. disgruntled customers looking for spares two years from now!
Old 22nd October 2009, 07:09   #123
BHPian

Friends,

It looks pretty obvious that Premier is trying to reclaim its sales in the Taxi segment. What they seem to be losing with the Premier Padmini, they are trying to gain by selling the Rio.

I think taxiwalas will go for it in large numbers. Better luggage space and cheap all over.
Old 22nd October 2009, 10:51   #124
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
There are plenty of fly by night car/motorcycle makers in China and reputation is not their highest priority, in such a scenario its really strange that Premier has found comfort in such a car maker rather than any of the more established Chinese cos.
Premiers reputation itself is highly questionable. Their customer service standards were appalling in their hey day and even during the last years there was no effort from their side to improve when international cos. came and raised the game.
Given Premiers repuation, who else but a small player would tieup with them - even from china -.

The vehicles looks good and can address a select audience in the market with the value proposition it offers. Service and quality both with presumably be an issue and hence the attractive pricing.
Old 22nd October 2009, 14:57   #125
BHPian

Ritz - a baby SUV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ym-enjn View Post
Ritz is our baby SUV (looks like mini CRV-old version) and bullet proof Suzuki technology and service, in same price, same 5 seater capacity. What chance does Rio hold against the most competetive super hatch segment for which India is world hub. (PAL has to think about this)

I guess there is a very thin chance of Rio coming with 4x4. If not 4x4, I would anyday buy Ritz diesel over this one.
IMHO Ritz does not look like a baby SUV. Neither I feel Suzuki has bullet proof technology with all it's rattlings, body roll and speed braker dynamics. Hence it may not be a competition to Rio and Rio will open a pretty new segment of it's own.
Old 22nd October 2009, 15:11   #126
BHPian

I think premier auto is a good company and i am very glad for them to make a come back to the Indian car scene even if its with a Chinese counter part.

I wish them all the best.
Old 22nd October 2009, 16:54   #127
BHPian

Wish all the best to PAL, its better to try and keep on trying till you succeed. If nothing else they can be instrumental in waking up lot of big players to come up with vehicles in this untouched segment in India. I know that Suzuki, Toyota have products in this segment and M&M and Tata's are capable of bringing something in this segment.

Last edited by ranc : 22nd October 2009 at 17:09.
Old 28th October 2009, 06:17   #128
BHPian

I saw an SX4 hatchback AWD today in the US and it looked just stunning. The build quality and the finish were great. Was wondering if what sells in the US actually exports from India. Guess not.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:04   #129
BHPian

hi friends,

site is up experts can crack the same.

Premier RiO India's First Compact Diesel SUV.
Old 28th October 2009, 11:08   #130
BHPian

Its looking good in pic. When I clicked on the pic, it opened a new mail to some mr. goel. hope it gets activated by evening today since, read somewhere that its getting launched in Mumbai today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007 Bond View Post
hi friends,

site is up experts can crack the same.

Premier RiO India's First Compact Diesel SUV.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:14   #131
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the Rio already on sale? I think I saw full page ad in ACI.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:18   #132
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
Isn't the Rio already on sale? I think I saw full page ad in ACI.
It may be on sale elsewhere. I think we are discussing its launch in India here today. There is some launch function in Mumbai today and reports awaited.
Old 28th October 2009, 13:15   #133
Senior - BHPian

yeah, read it on carwale.com too. The launch is today. Why in Mumbai !!
If it would have been Delhi (I would have been here), the prices would have been uploaded in less than 60 secs of announcement on TBHP.

Anyway, with 65 bhp, I dont expect much, its just a car with a different body. I doubt if it even has 4WD to claim an SUV.

Last edited by tanwaramit : 28th October 2009 at 13:16.
Old 28th October 2009, 14:41   #134
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So, lets see : It's made in China by a new automotive company that in all probability knows nothing about car making, will be sold in India by a brand that has previously duped their buyers, powered by a 20 year old reworked diesel engine which has a turbocharger bolted on by an inexistent R&D department, at a price at which you could get a thoroughly modern Swift / Ritz / i10 / Vista / Punto, be supported by dealerships that don't exist today and the only redeeming quality is that the spare wheel is mounted on the tail gate.
And now : All of this at 5.25 lakhs ex-showroom Pune (base version) and 5.95 lakhs ex-showroom for the top end. Translated = 7 lakhs OTR Mumbai

I am simply shocked at the absolute lack of business acumen. Hey, final year BMS students could have executed a better business plan! For 7 lakhs, I can buy a Grande Punto, i20, Swift, Ritz and even the Manza! Tell me ONE good reason for anyone to buy this piece of crap?
Old 28th October 2009, 14:45   #135
BHPian

Some Images from BS Motoring. Premier is already behind in the automobile scene. 7 Lakhs OTR price? As GTO tells, there is not even one good reason to buy this.
Premier launches Rio SUV
Attached Thumbnails
New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10-1256714073a.jpg  

New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10-1256714073b.jpg  

New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10-1256714073c.jpg  

New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10-1256714073d.jpg  

Last edited by Sarvodaya : 28th October 2009 at 14:49.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed