Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 08:48   #166
BHPian

Sorry in advance for being tangential !
Why can't Maruti plonk DDIS(Swift diesel) engine in Maruti Gypsy ?

Guru's please enlighten on tecnical difficulies OR is it plain lethargy and incompetence to develope new product on part of MSIL ?

cheers
Old 29th October 2009, 09:35   #167
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Some one in this thread reported RIO will be having 98 BHP engine and Dippy said it is 68 BHP. From where 98 BHP came from. There were many discussions regarding 98 BHP Power in this thread.

Now I would say it is like another chinese toys that we find in our market.
That info came from a site maxabout.com, which publishes full details of all vehicles before the vehicle even gets launched, and often gets its info from foreign websites. The data they looked at was apparently for a petrol engine used in China or Malaysia. The site has a very authoritative looking design to it and I have got fooled several times.
Old 29th October 2009, 10:19   #168
Senior - BHPian

Does not matter how good or bad the vehicle. I will not buy a vehicle with 80% Chinese parts, Period. But hopefully this will open a new market segment for the Indian manufactures, Let us hope Mahindra and Tata will bring similar sized models to the Indian market in the near future.
Old 29th October 2009, 10:23   #169
BHPian

It is actually a good attempt, I must say. Let us wait and see if at all they sell. As somebody suggested, rural customers, estate owners might take a good look at it. For them, hatchbacks with less ground clearance would be a big no-no.

To create a market is very risky and a gamble. But again, most of the success stories were started by creating a market, setting a trend, becoming an early mover. But of course, with a good product!

Even if it doesn't sell, at least it has prompted other makers to take a good look at it. That, for us consumers, is indeed a great thing.
Old 29th October 2009, 10:27   #170
Senior - BHPian

I dream about Gypsy coming back with the 1.3L diesel doing duty now.
Hope with this market opening up that dream becomes a reality.

If they give better ones, still better
Old 29th October 2009, 10:36   #171
Senior - BHPian

Dippy, thanks for putting things in prespective here. Disasterous pricing, I can't figure out which buyer group they're targeting
Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
@ dippy - do share how it compares in terms of size, proportions, stance etc with a Wagon R / Gypsy/ Scorpio
thanks
Shankar, you're seriously not thinking that any potential buyer of any of those 3 vehicles that you have mentioned could be (or would be) persuaded to take a second look or buy the Rio??
Old 29th October 2009, 10:47   #172
BHPian

lets hope Fiat is watching

Fiat should consider the Panda. I believe a palio version of a mini SUV exists.
Maruti has the Jimny. Surely there is a lot of interest in the mini SUV segment from customers but somehow nobody is considering it. What could be the reason? Are they more expensive to make?
Old 29th October 2009, 11:15   #173
Senior - BHPian

expecting 100 sales per month is also quite aggressive for this product. Let us see how rural folks react to this.

I can believe a glove box which opens like a dustbin, a kid might put his hands in the engine above it.
Old 29th October 2009, 11:25   #174
Senior - BHPian

- Guys, we should stop comparing the RiO with the Gypsy. The RiO is not a 4WD vehicle; PAL has absolutely no plans to launch a version either.

- RIO MUST DIE. If it succeeds, it will create huge problems for the development of the Indian automotive industry. The cars (the Swift, SX4, i20, Linea, Fabia, Verna, Fiesta...) that we enjoy today are all thoroughly modern, eco-friendly and many are NCAP 5 safe too. If this chinese dino succeeds all these cars will be threatened and the makers of them will be forced to launch models that are obsolate in their home country, just to counter the RiO. We will be driving 20 years behind the world again.

- The government should bring in laws to prevent companies from launching new products based on old technology. No one should be allowed to make a NEW MODEL car in which the engine is 30 year and chasis is 20 year old respectively. Such products are not creating a level-playing field for those whose cars are state-of-the-art tech, price-wise. It is also disasterous for the Indian automakers Tata and MM, as both are striving for worldclass R&D and products.

- If the HAL is allowed to license-build the old 1960's Boeing 707, they can build that aircraft for say, $20 million. It can threaten both Airbus and Boeing. But such a plan will never work out, simply because of global air safety and environmental regulations. Just an example...

Last edited by sandeepmdas : 29th October 2009 at 11:35.
sandeepmdas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2009, 11:26   #175
Senior - BHPian

Attaching a scan of the Rio's one page brochure. This should help in knowing what they offer across the three variants.

New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10-rio2.jpg
Old 29th October 2009, 11:36   #176
Senior - BHPian

sandeep competition is always good and in our market every type of offering in a crowd is needed to make all the makers SWEAT they need to so conumer will always be king and better pricing, more options, and more features as standard will become the norm as I still see makers trying to bully the consumer, less than before but they still do and more entries in every segement will mean more competition which is good for consumer. Think about it unless you are a maker or work for one

Pricing though seems a little steep and in entry level Safari territory! I bet they will knock it down to 3 to 4.5 lacs sooner than they themseleves expect to!

Last edited by canonball : 29th October 2009 at 11:46.
Old 29th October 2009, 11:39   #177
aby
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post
- Guys, we should stop comparing the RiO with the Gypsy. The RiO is not a 4WD vehicle; PAL has absolutely no plans to launch a version either.

- RIO MUST DIE. If it succeeds, it will create huge problems for the development of the Indian automotive industry. The cars (the Swift, SX4, i20, Linea, Fabia, Verna, Fiesta...) that we enjoy today are all thoroughly modern, eco-friendly and many are NCAP 5 safe too. If this chinese dino succeeds all these cars will be threatened and the makers of them will be forced to launch models that are obsolate in their home country, just to counter the RiO. We will be driving 20 years behind the world again.

- The government should bring in laws to prevent companies from launching new products based on old technology. No one should be allowed to make a NEW MODEL car in which the engine is 30 year and chasis is 20 year old respectively. Such products are not creating a level-playing field for those whose cars are state-of-the-art tech, price-wise. It is also disasterous for the Indian automakers Tata and MM, as both are striving for worldclass R&D and products.

- If the HAL is allowed to license-build the old 1960's Boeing 707, they can build that aircraft for say, $20 million. It can threaten both Airbus and Boeing. But such a plan will never work out, simply because of global air safety and environmental regulations. Just an example...
I don't think other local manufacturers have anything to worry. This tinpot is priced close to 6.5L on road same as Gypsy. Maybe at 3-4L on road it would have given other manufacturers some headache, but at this price - No Way.

We can get Gypsies or M&M Models for similar price.

What did the company think about Indian customers. acknowledge that we have brains too.

Slightly why the hell did M&M kill the invader (Or have they, because I don't see any marketing push there). Compared to this junk, that vehicle feels like a Space age vehicle.
Old 29th October 2009, 11:42   #178
Senior - BHPian

Is this "5 Rod System" suspension at rear is new thing? I haven't heard about this suspension in any other Indian cars atleast.

Has anyone heard about it? What is this exactly?
Old 29th October 2009, 11:49   #179
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anujmishra View Post
Is this "5 Rod System" suspension at rear is new thing? I haven't heard about this suspension in any other Indian cars atleast.

Has anyone heard about it? What is this exactly?
5 Rod if that is the language they are using is a stupid chinese transilation for 5 Links suspension where there are 5 harness points to suspend the rear differential which will be one piece known as rigid axel. The 5 links would be shock's, springs, trailing arm/lower control arms, stabilizer..etc

Last edited by canonball : 29th October 2009 at 11:56.
Old 29th October 2009, 12:59   #180
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
GTO, we need a full road test from you, I know I am asking too much, but need your complete review for it. I hope you will not say "no."
I think GTO would be happy to take one for the team, so to speak. All in favour of a complete and exhausting road test by GTO, say "Aye!"

And he can follow it up with a spell binding review of the Mahindra Gio. LOL.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks