Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 29th October 2009, 15:05   #196
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe-Ker View Post
....... just put my heart aside and thought about it and this is the output.And i welcome more competition in the indian automotive scene.
well i would call rio a competition booster in the market if it would have been priced at 3-4 lakhs range.

at this price points its not a competition.

is the engine in Rio the same as what used to come on the old zen diesel?

sorry i exceeded the post edit limit

Last edited by Dippy : 30th October 2009 at 10:12. Reason: Merging back to back posts
Old 29th October 2009, 15:30   #197
BHPian

@Dippy : What I am really surprised at is that such an old engine TUD5 is passing a BSIII compliance test where few DI engines (Bolero 4X4 is BSII) fail ? Any thoughts or comments.

--Vikrant
Old 29th October 2009, 16:18   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Premier says that initial local content will be around 20 to 25%. The rest of the components will be Chinese. Premier will be making 500 units till March 2010.
So 75% to 80% is from China. Is Premier a vehicle manufacturer or just an importer of cheap chinese goods?

Quote:
The Rio will come in three variants EX,DX and LX. The top end gets alloys and ABS.
That's nice.

Quote:
However even the top end LX gets just front power windows something which I feel should not be omitted in a 6 lakh rupee car. The top two variants come with a CD player as standard. No audio on the base model. They also have a non AC version. Regarding the equipment levels, some said that I could not ask for more in a car at this price but honeslty I have seen better.
I agree. For 6L the equipment levels are not at all on par, considering this being a cheap import from China.

Quote:
More details on the features and fit an finish in the pictures below.
Fit & Finish - I am not able to see either fit or finish.

Quote:
The engine really feels underpowered and that is surprising considering the small size of the car.
Very bad.

Quote:
The Rio is not wide either and I would not rule out toppling at high speeds. The driving position is not great with the steering touching the legs of even a short driver like me. This gets quite irritating. The power steering is quite light though and driving it through traffic should not be a problem. Coming to the rear, the Rio is strictly a 4 seater as opposed to the company's 5 seating capacity. The rear seat has no thigh support and even I had to sit with my legs folded upwards. The rear seats are split and can be flipped forward to accomodate more luggage.
Overall - HOPELESS

Quote:
The taxi market could have been a potential target too but I have my doubts on how a four seater will go down with the tourist guys.
Very true. Even tourist car operators will not opt for this.

Quote:
Poor legroom for the rear passengers
Does not live up to the segment as mini-SUV

Quote:
The bonnet opening lever. Even the illustration is upside down

Poor fit and finish on the ashtray. Half broken on a brand new car

Cheap fuel lid opener

The glovebox felt as if it would fall into my hands

Front power window switches. Positioning quite wierd

Front door pockets. Even a newspaper would go in with difficulty
It's a Shame, Premier can't even make a car out of 80% imported parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Do go back one page, Dippy has driven the car today.
Thanks saw it, now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
This SUV sounds like a good purchase for a suicide bomber. Its the only purpose it would be good for. It would probably explode nicely and provide easy shrapnel fragments.

Are they looking at the Pak/Afghan markets? (Even SL is out now )
+1. Exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmdas View Post

- RIO MUST DIE. If it succeeds, it will create huge problems for the development of the Indian automotive industry. The cars (the Swift, SX4, i20, Linea, Fabia, Verna, Fiesta...) that we enjoy today are all thoroughly modern, eco-friendly and many are NCAP 5 safe too. If this chinese dino succeeds all these cars will be threatened and the makers of them will be forced to launch models that are obsolate in their home country, just to counter the RiO. We will be driving 20 years behind the world again.

- The government should bring in laws to prevent companies from launching new products based on old technology. No one should be allowed to make a NEW MODEL car in which the engine is 30 year and chasis is 20 year old respectively. Such products are not creating a level-playing field for those whose cars are state-of-the-art tech, price-wise. It is also disasterous for the Indian automakers Tata and MM, as both are striving for worldclass R&D and products.

- If the HAL is allowed to license-build the old 1960's Boeing 707, they can build that aircraft for say, $20 million. It can threaten both Airbus and Boeing. But such a plan will never work out, simply because of global air safety and environmental regulations. Just an example...
I am with you. However you need not panic. Rio is sure to die.

When this news came I thought there is a new segment opening. But with the quick death of Rio, which is pretty imminent, other players may not feel the urge to get into this segment.
Old 29th October 2009, 16:35   #199
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guna View Post
By the way Rio has been test driven by Adil Darukhanawala for Zagwheels and he seems to think that the vehicle is not all that bad!
Perhaps its not all that bad - what about the price?
Old 29th October 2009, 16:39   #200
BHPian

The exteriors look good in mu opinion.
Interiors look dull and dirty.
Has the car made it to dealers in mumbai?
If yes , who are the dealers?
Old 29th October 2009, 16:49   #201
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chittybang View Post
Fiat should consider the Panda. I believe a palio version of a mini SUV exists.
Maruti has the Jimny. Surely there is a lot of interest in the mini SUV segment from customers but somehow nobody is considering it. What could be the reason? Are they more expensive to make?
Interestly none of the company has thought of bringing a MINI SUV till now. Many comp has planned but not launched. Lets see the Competition who is bringing what ? AVANZA/JIMNY/YETTI/SX4-Hatch(awd) ...
Old 29th October 2009, 17:09   #202
BHPian

I really feel most of the ppl are taken over by mob mentality. U see a group of guys beating a guy on the road, u don't ask what and why, u just give him a good whack urself.

Lets see the car in flesh, yes, a person has seen the car in person. But its only one persons view. Each person has his or her own perspective about things. How many ppl in this forum had very bad opinion about Xylo... but is sells good right? yes, not like a Scorpio or innova, but sells nevertheless.

About 80% Chinese parts. 99% of the mobiles and electronics we use are made in China, do they break down more than the ones made elsewhere? Yes, this is cars breakdown are life threatening but u can be killed if u mobile burst while talking. I don't see how a Indian manufacturer is better than a Chinese one. I am not a fan of Chinese products nor am i an Indian traitor. When a American Chevy and Ford can come in. Why not a Chinese Rio.

All I am saying is that, let them come in and lets see the car. When a person is investing 6 L, he is bound to think about it. Its not the time when we had only 2 choices, either Amby or Premier Padmini. We are spoilt for choices. If it not up to mark, we dont buy it. Simple.
Old 29th October 2009, 17:10   #203
BHPian

Fact remains that the mini SUV is looking pretty smart, what I dont like (besides the price) is the interiors and the engine. Premier should work on both to be able to succeed in the market. If the car is selling in huge numbers in China and Malaysia and is from the Toyota/Dahitsu stable it has to be good. If Tata can do a fairly good job with their interiors in Manza, I dont see why Premier cant after all most of these parts are made by the same OEMS. Another thought is to outsource engines from Avtec, if chevvy, Rhino and ford can do it then why not Premier.

Just my 2 cents because I dont want this car to die and the segment to die with it. This is a good segment, couple of months back I saw a Vitara also which looked pretty small in Australia, so Maruti might have two products Jimny & Vitara (earlier one) in this space

Last edited by ranc : 29th October 2009 at 17:12.
Old 29th October 2009, 17:32   #204
BHPian

Cant believe the number of people here taking the mick out of Premier Auto.

I can understand people not liking the design or their car, but ridiculing them and humiliating them is something else.

We have all those imported cars now in India but we didn't have them before. What would happen if PAL didn't exist.

Whether is a Chinese replica or a replica from another country, the fact is that PAL is a Indian company who is trying to make a recovery and i am proud of it.
Old 29th October 2009, 18:21   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archish View Post
All I am saying is that, let them come in and lets see the car. When a person is investing 6 L, he is bound to think about it.
Given the fact that Dippy has posted the brochure & the prices of the variants, which one do you feel is a good buy at the price point? Lets forget about the plastics, lack of equipment etc.

The gripe about Xylo was about the looks - I think there was agreement from Day One that it was great VFM but bloody ugly. In this case, where is the VFM?

Lets hear it from you

Last edited by suman : 29th October 2009 at 18:22.
Old 29th October 2009, 18:51   #206
Senior - BHPian

Base model costing 5.29 L even does not have an AC or heater.
source: scanned leaflet by Dippy.

Oh, the Gypsy does not have it wither, but a Gypsy IS a Gypsy.
Old 29th October 2009, 18:52   #207
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman View Post
Given the fact that Dippy has posted the brochure & the prices of the variants, which one do you feel is a good buy at the price point? Lets forget about the plastics, lack of equipment etc.

The gripe about Xylo was about the looks - I think there was agreement from Day One that it was great VFM but bloody ugly. In this case, where is the VFM?

Lets hear it from you
Any one car get the pricing wrong. Have the Hondas, Tatas, Toyotas never revised their prices or positioning of their cars?

Again. I am not in any way speaking for anybody. I am sure Premier wont discount a buck if at all I buy this car. And no way I am buying this car at this price.
Old 29th October 2009, 19:57   #208
BHPian

Just read AJD's review pointed out by Guna. He says in performance the car keeps up with A-Segmenters!

So, at 6L, its as good as an Omni with RWD. He also goes on to say the plastics are not all that bad so I guess the bar he sets for everything is rather low.
Old 29th October 2009, 20:04   #209
Senior - BHPian

The website is up and running: http://www.premier.co.in/rio/index.html

Found two mistakes..
- 'Central looking'
- Rear fog lamp has a picture of the front fog lamp.
Attached Thumbnails
New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10-clipboard02.jpg  

Last edited by ashutoshb : 29th October 2009 at 20:13.
Old 29th October 2009, 20:14   #210
BHPian

Looks like an exact copy of the old Daihatsu Terios except for the headlights.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks