Team-BHP - New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   New compact SUV from Premier Auto. EDIT: Rio quick testdrive on page 10 (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/64918-new-compact-suv-premier-auto-edit-rio-quick-testdrive-page-10-a.html)

Hi

Has any one heard of this new baby SUV coming in from Premier Auto?
I believe it is a re-hashed Old Gen Daihatsu Terios made by a Chinese company called Jotye or something.

Since PAL continues to have access to their good old Peugeot TUD5 Diesel Engine I believe this is the engine that will be shoe-horned into that Terios body.

(I believe Peugeot have given them the rights to use this engine when their earlier alliance came to an end.)

Autocar or Car India carries an article about this.

I understand this car will come in with an attractive price tag of about 5 lacs. No news about whether it is a 4WD or not.

Plus, going by memory, this looks quite small and rather like the Suzuki Jimny.

If this is true then it will be a harbinger of a whole new segment of vehicles for the urban small family or young couple!

I also read that the Suzuki SX4 Hatch is getting showcased at the Frankfurt Motor Show - with 4WD/AWD and the DDIS Diesel engine!!

Wonder how long Suzuki will take before it realizes there is a potential market sitting right here in India too!!

More information and views on this welcome guys!

The Autocar Sept issue has the detailed report on this new baby SUV- which is derived out of Zotye. It will be brought here - CKD
and Peugeot TUD5 - approx. something like 63 bhp -will be plonked in here - which will save a lot of money otherwise paid on import duties & taxes - to keep it under 5 Lacs bracket. In China they have launched it with refreshed interiors and the same may be incorporated here before the launch as well. Its a five seater- looks smaller than Yeti but has ground clearance of approx. 190 mm - should be good for bad roads.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 1469341)
Hi

Has any one heard of this new baby SUV coming in from Premier Auto?
I believe it is a re-hashed Old Gen Daihatsu Terios made by a Chinese company called Jotye or something.

Since PAL continues to have access to their good old Peugeot TUD5 Diesel Engine I believe this is the engine that will be shoe-horned into that Terios body.

(I believe Peugeot have given them the rights to use this engine when their earlier alliance came to an end.)

Autocar or Car India carries an article about this.

I understand this car will come in with an attractive price tag of about 5 lacs. No news about whether it is a 4WD or not.

Plus, going by memory, this looks quite small and rather like the Suzuki Jimny.

If this is true then it will be a harbinger of a whole new segment of vehicles for the urban small family or young couple!

I also read that the Suzuki SX4 Hatch is getting showcased at the Frankfurt Motor Show - with 4WD/AWD and the DDIS Diesel engine!!

Wonder how long Suzuki will take before it realizes there is a potential market sitting right here in India too!!

More information and views on this welcome guys!

Strange but don't both look almost the same - the Terios and the SX4 Hatch?

Good news here but would be a bit skeptical about a PAL offering. I have driven their TATA ACE competitor and the engineering of that vehicle left a lot to be desired.

Hope this is a better offering from them.

Autocar India September issue has news about this PAL vehicle from the chinese manufacturer Zotye which used old Terios dies. PAL will get body components from China and shoehorn their modified TUD5 engine. The vehicle is a RWD.

Suzuki SX4 hatch AWD with 1.6 Multijet has been on sale in Europe. But I guess rather than bringing their hatch or the AWD hardware, they need to bring in the Diesel engine fast.

MJD for SX4 has to wait as Fiat has not given permission for manufacture of the same Maruti. They will first launch 1.6 MJD in Linea and after few months it would be made available in SX4.

Nice move by PAL, this might revive their fortunes, the car actually looks good (cute in a way), I guess it needs a better engine then the 63 bhp, may be it can be peted and can become a big hit.

its always nice to post photos along with your replies and it really helps in generate more interest to fellow TBhp members!

as the chinese say "a picture is worth more than thousand words"!

anyway back to the topic>

Terios is based on old generation Toyota RAV4 and is a good option for india. though its available in 1.3 and 1.5/1.6 ltr engines outside india, we would love to have it in india at least with both petrol and diesel versions. so you can trust the Toyota build quality in the Daihatsu Terios!

SX4 hatch is pretty much liked in europe and elsewhere and the hatchback version is the least expensive all wheel drive vehicle on the market today.

The hatchback features standard all wheel drive compared to sedan/saloon which is front wheel drive. in north america it comes with a 2 ltr engine but in europe it comes with 1.5 and 1.6 petrol.

Suzuki offers four engine variants with NEW 2010 SX4 Hatchback.Two petrol and diesel variants each.

The petrol 1.5 16valve engine. (we might get 1.3 or 1.5 petrol in india)

The second petrol engine variant is bit bigger than the first by few CC that is 1.6ltr.( this will not come to india)

The diesel variants includes one 1.6ltr and 2.0ltr engines. ( we might get 1.4 or 1.5 diesel in india)

SX4 hatchback from suzuki now getting some mid life cosmetic changes. beside this minor aesthetics changes SX4 is now equipped with new engine variants as well.But unfortunately these developments are happening in europe ONLY. in India we have not even seen the hatch back variant of SX4 as yet but suzuki may bring the hatch back variant to India due to lukewarm success of SX4 saloon car.

guys be patient till then!:D and enjoy the photos!

everyone know what Maruti need most for Sx4 is diesel.
but they can't deliver before or now at the compattative prices.

wait for next year, the economy of scale will be ready in place.

2nd needed from Maruti is Sx4 hatch. i means, the current Sx4
(yy1) and places the price at about 6L-8.5L.

then in 3-4 years ,the new model change will be ready.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranc (Post 1469517)
Nice move by PAL, this might revive their fortunes, the car actually looks good (cute in a way), I guess it needs a better engine then the 63 bhp, may be it can be peted and can become a big hit.

The TUD5 cannot be peted. It is a very very old IDI engine with no ecu also. This engine is known to give excellent mileage. It was used previously in esteem,zen, accent (DLS) and Pegeout 309

Can somebody post some detailed pix of the pal car? Also, will the Tud5 pass the current emission norms in the metros?

Parm,

You've posted the pics of the latest Daihatsu Terios , its a looker, but what Shankar has been talking about is a previous gen (my guess is atleast 2 gen old) Terios. The link to Zotye is here below and the website is funny(the language).

Home - ZHE JIANG ZOTYE AUTO CO., LTD.

EDIT again : The feature list includes

Large thin combine tail lamp
Anti-dizzy inner rear view mirror
Baggage sundry
3spoke steering wheel with leather bush
Electric defroster on rear windshield
Children’s lock
Four door anti-impact girder

Optional (among others)
Side-pedal

Crucially the car's less than 4m in length, but the TUD5 engine is more than 1.5L in capacity....

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayD (Post 1469676)
Can somebody post some detailed pix of the pal car? Also, will the Tud5 pass the current emission norms in the metros?

Very valid question. AFAIK maruti stopped esteem and zen diesel because it wouldnt pass BS3. With BS4 coming up next march, i highly doubt if it can pass emission norms.

correct the PAL Zotye is the old gen Terios - looks boxy just like the Jimny.
there is a pic in the article - it looks ok but certainly not as streamlined and stylish as the new gen terios.

And the SX4 Hatch I guess we shall have to wait till Suzuki thinks it is the right time. Hopefully that will be sooner rather than later.

Quote:

Originally Posted by indivic (Post 1469691)
Parm,

You've posted the pics of the latest Daihatsu Terios , its a looker, but what Shankar has been talking about is a previous gen (my guess is atleast 2 gen old) Terios. The link to Zotye is here below and the website is funny(the language).

Home - ZHE JIANG ZOTYE AUTO CO., LTD.

OT: Looking at the specs of the car am wondering why Tata never attempted an AWD or option 4WD on the Indica platform. They have the resources to pull it off.

that way I wonder why Fiat didnt go the whole hog with its Adventure and give it AWD/4WD along with that 1.9 diesel - atleast this way it may have sold a bit. But their prices were always out of hand.

Quote:

Originally Posted by indivic (Post 1469736)
OT: Looking at the specs of the car am wondering why Tata never attempted an AWD or option 4WD on the Indica platform. They have the resources to pull it off.