Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 10:25   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Yes it is required till you have it.

No it is not required once you have it.

The Laura sun roof is very reliable - let me touch some wood - no leaks etc, and provided all the functionality and modes required. Yet have used on only once in the true sense when my 4 year old nephew was feeling cranky letting him raise his hand out of the roof raised his spirits.

The base cover / shutter is required to be kept on most of the time as a it gets hot under the sun in day time and also due to a wierd glare that comes in.

Most cars have sun roofs that are just above the driver and co driver heads - and they obviously cannot raise theirs from the front seat, the roof is located such that the rear seat guys too cannot just stand up from their seats.

Even from a view point of view it is above the front seat and you cant see up while driving and is too far ahead for the rear seat guys liking.

The newer fuller panaromic view roofs are a better idea for those who are interested.

But seriously would never again pay extra for a sun moon roof unless it happens to be part of that versions features.

Exactly the reason why my car has a sunroof - i10 asta A/T comes only in the sunroof version!
Old 8th September 2009, 15:40   #32
Senior - BHPian

OT but sunroof reminds me of Shaktiman trucks

I remember one Shaktiman which was on a school bus duty used to be parked full day in front of our school and we used to play in it poking our heads out of the steel hatch for front copassanger.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:04   #33
BHPian

"What a useless feature!!!" - This is what went over my mind while deciding my choice of variant for i20 CRDI Asta (O) - Why pay 45K more for this? (and 4 more airbags)

One of the people very close to me loved it, and I thought 45K is a small amount if it can make people you love happy.

I have seen sparkle in the eyes of the co-passengers mostly the kind of people from Venus. I really couldn't believe that such a simple contraption that opens up partially and expose the sky could cause so much happiness. I have had my cousins and very close friends stand up in their seats and let their heads through the open sun-roof and scream with joy. (100% of the people who did that were females - May be guys simply have bloated ego to let go and have their share of fun - I'd not do it either )

So, a sunroof is total paisa vasool for me - Esp, considering that the amount of joy it brought to people who mean so much to me.

My moment came when I was waiting for one of my friends in an open parking lot and it started raining. I pushed my seat backwards and just opened the cover for the sunroof (not the sunroof itself) - I could see the raindrops falling on the sunroof and splattering and then sliding. And, add to that a blank mind and the sound of the rain. It was pure bliss. I don't regret plonking that 45K at all. It is money well spent for me.

PS:- I live in Bangalore. But, I'll never open the sunroof in Chennai, my home town. I don't want to die of sun-stroke when I am driving

--------------------------------

Coda:
Similar stuff happened in US when I wanted to rent a car - I change car every week when I travel on business, and that week all they had was a convertible (Chrysler Sebring) - It was expensive too - I told the guy (who was quite friendly as I visited him frequently) that I'd not pay extra for a car without a top. He gave it to me for the same rate as a regular car. I was in Chicago that time. I picked up a college friend of mine who was doing his PhD there and we went for a drive in Michigan Avenue - It is a super long / super wide street full of places where one can shop. There is a lot of traffic and the vehicles move very slowly. We lowered the top and started playing "Chikku bukku railu" from Gentleman movie in full volume - (Tamil version) - It was a bright day and was windy too! The whole experience of driving through that place with Sun on the top, wind in our heads and loud music was priceless! I am convert now! I am waiting to buy a convertible (cabriolet in US terms) if I can find an affordable one in India!

Last edited by sriramv.iyer : 8th September 2009 at 17:06.
sriramv.iyer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2009, 17:20   #34
BHPian

very well written.this is the actual feeling of having a moon roof.i always wanted 1 in my car but could not fix it because webasto was costing more than a lakh.
[quote=sriramv.iyer;1472007]"What a useless feature!!!" - This is what went over my mind while deciding my choice of variant for i20 CRDI Asta (O) - Why pay 45K more for this? (and 4 more airbags)

One of the people very close to me loved it, and I thought 45K is a small amount if it can make people you love happy.

I have seen sparkle in the eyes of the co-passengers mostly the kind of people from Venus. I really couldn't believe that such a simple contraption that opens up partially and expose the sky could cause so much happiness. I have had my cousins and very close friends stand up in their seats and let their heads through the open sun-roof and scream with joy. (100% of the people who did that were females - May be guys simply have bloated ego to let go and have their share of fun - I'd not do it either )

So, a sunroof is total paisa vasool for me - Esp, considering that the amount of joy it brought to people who mean so much to me.

My moment came when I was waiting for one of my friends in an open parking lot and it started raining. I pushed my seat backwards and just opened the cover for the sunroof (not the sunroof itself) - I could see the raindrops falling on the sunroof and splattering and then sliding. And, add to that a blank mind and the sound of the rain. It was pure bliss. I don't regret plonking that 45K at all. It is money well spent for me.

PS:- I live in Bangalore. But, I'll never open the sunroof in Chennai, my home town. I don't want to die of sun-stroke when I am driving

--------------------------------
Old 8th September 2009, 17:23   #35
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

On a lighter note, to add to my earlier post, if Sun / moon roofs were a great idea we would have seen the sales of all convertibles introduced shoot through that very same roof. (Sanstorm)
Old 8th September 2009, 17:39   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
I have had my cousins and very close friends stand up in their seats and let their heads through the open sun-roof and scream with joy. (100% of the people who did that were females - May be guys simply have bloated ego to let go and have their share of fun - I'd not do it either )
Nothing to do with ego, I find it very difficult to put my head out of the sunroof while driving.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer View Post
The whole experience of driving through that place with Sun on the top, wind in our heads and loud music was priceless! I am convert now! I am waiting to buy a convertible (cabriolet in US terms) if I can find an affordable one in India!
Rest of us just buy soft top Jeeps and Gypsies. You should experience open top Jeep driving on the top of the mountain, nothing can beat that.

Last edited by Samurai : 8th September 2009 at 18:15.
Old 8th September 2009, 17:42   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nothing to to with ego, I find it very difficult to put my head out of the sunroof while driving.

Rest of us just buy soft top Jeeps and Gypsies. You should experience open top Jeep driving on the top of the mountain, nothing can beat that.
I completely agree. My Jeep is topless most of the time now. The weather is just splendid and the feeling awesome.
Old 8th September 2009, 18:00   #38
BHPian

I love Sun/Moon Roof in my Car. Especially when I'd a Tata Sierra. For a 3 door version it is a must. But sadly we donot have any 3 door version's for sale now. I just avoided (and rightly) at that time because of leakage problems. But if it is a OE equipment, then definately it'll be much better.

There are a few practical problems with Sun Roof's in India. In Bangalore, there are lot of people who spit from the Windows of Public Transport Vehicles. And also being a Garden City, you've to watch out for Bird droppings also, while waiting at a Traffic Signal.

And how about North Indians who chew Paan?
Old 8th September 2009, 19:28   #39
Senior - BHPian

guys dont let romance escape you!

we do have sun and moon in our country too, like the rest of the world!

we have romance associated with moon and moonlight, so open that moonroof and let the romance begin!

we do have the monsoon and plenty of romance in the rain, so open that sun roof and see the rain falling!
Parm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2009, 20:46   #40
BHPian

How could we enjoy season's first snowfall without a sunroof?
Old 8th September 2009, 21:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Some people like it and some dont. No point in banging our heads and arguing if its useful in India or not.

On a cool summer night nothing can beat the joy of cruising down the road with music playing and cool air coming in thru the sunroof.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
I'm not sure of the advantages of the sun/moon roof in our country as I've never used one. The only reason that I can think of is letting in the sun in winter? Perhaps, some members can give us details.
The name is a misnomer.
Job of a sunroof is not just to get sunlight to hit your face. Its to let the nature in and get a feel of open air motoring.

There are probably fewer opportunities to use a sunroof in India compared to Italy or Spain but other countries like Finland and Canada have other climatic issues too

Last edited by Mpower : 9th September 2009 at 01:16.
Mpower is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th September 2009, 21:14   #42
BHPian

AN avoidable luxury in Indian conditions.
Old 8th September 2009, 22:48   #43
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
Thats wicked Jesal ! But popping out of sunroof can be dangerous , especially in Indian cities!!
not really when you are driving at 40 and the roads are clear. thats the only time i have people popping out.
Old 9th September 2009, 09:28   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Nothing to do with ego, I find it very difficult to put my head out of the sunroof while driving.

Sure Samurai! I'll try that! I've never driven a Jeep or Gypsie though. I always thought they were tough / rough to drive. A convertible on the other sense is silky smooth, low slung and has an AWESOME handling prowess. (At least, the ones I drove)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nandishpal View Post
very well written.this is the actual feeling of having a moon roof.i always wanted 1 in my car but could not fix it because webasto was costing more than a lakh.
Thanks! Aftermarket fittings are indeed expensive :(

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks