Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th September 2009, 15:58   #1
BHPian

Sun/moon roof: Do we need them in India?

I tried to search for a thread on this issue but could not find one; hence the query as a separate post?

I'm not sure of the advantages of the sun/moon roof in our country as I've never used one. The only reason that I can think of is letting in the sun in winter? Perhaps, some members can give us details.
Old 7th September 2009, 19:08   #2
Team-BHP Support

I have it in my RS

I like the tilt function and it ventelates the car especially if parking for a while. When the car is heated up, I open the roof for a minute to let hot air escape.

It has its limitations in town and dusty areas but on a winter morning like Bangalore or after a monsoon shower, the fresh air is blish.

I particular enjoy driving around Ooty, Kodaikanal with the roof open also evening drives.

Limitations - dust and sometimes it could leak if the drainage channels are blocked
Old 7th September 2009, 19:45   #3

Its certainly an advantage to have sun/moon roof,but what really kills the very thought of having one is the kind of price one has to pay for this feature!
When i decided to buy i20 crdi,i was in a great fuss,whether to buy asta or asta(O) because i just love sun/moon roof.But when i switched on the button of practical thinking-Some where i thought,i was exploiting my dad a little too much and his money too!
This rational thinking helped me change my decision and hence saved my dad's hard earned money.

Well in my case it(sun/moon roof) was discarded because of price constraint,but when ever i would own an SUV,it got to have this feature.
I think it maimly belongs to those big beasts as in those cars,this feature is utilised in a more meaningful way.
Old 7th September 2009, 20:43   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar1951 View Post
I tried to search for a thread on this issue but could not find one; hence the query as a separate post?

I'm not sure of the advantages of the sun/moon roof in our country as I've never used one. The only reason that I can think of is letting in the sun in winter? Perhaps, some members can give us details.
you sure about that the sun would fit in you r car ???

Well I have it in my i10 asta & used to have it in my mazda 626. Used it in US many times, especially for taking pictures peeking out from my car!

Haven't really slid open the glass in India other than demonstrating to the folks, but I slide the sunshade open daily while I drive. I love the ambient light that comes in.
Old 7th September 2009, 20:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

First cruise control, now sunroofs. Perhaps we need to have a single thread on useless features in cars similar to ACI's article.
Old 7th September 2009, 21:29   #6
BHPian

where I live, you either want to block out the sun or the rain - seems to be a sun-roof is totally superfluous. But then consider the Goan winter requires a mandatory t-shirt at night!
Perhaps in a climate where noon-time temperatures are in the region of 18-20 C, it might be useful.
Old 7th September 2009, 21:54   #7

One defintiely wrong use of sunroof

I love sunroofs, had them in my cars in the US. But never missed it in India.

I have seen, on more than one occasion, kids sticking their heads out while the car is in motion. I make it a point to intercept the cars and politely give my opinion that this is a bad thing to do on many counts - weather, pollution, safety.

kernelguy
Old 7th September 2009, 22:02   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Personally I think it's a waste. However, I've always been fascinated with that feature and when my dad was buying an Opel Corsa 1.6 Royale, I wanted the sunroof so bad!

Today, I dont want it. It costs a lot(for cars where it's an option of sorts) and lets in too much sunlight which makes the AC less effective. However, as Ajmat said, it would be beautiful to drive with the sunroof open in hill stations. But for people who dont have the option of a sunroof in their car, they can always wind down their windows
Old 7th September 2009, 22:12   #9
Senior - BHPian

I dont think Sunroof is an asset in Indian Conditions.Esp when hot weather is prevailent,opening and closing it is a disadvantage.
Old 7th September 2009, 22:40   #10
Senior - BHPian

I love it

I love the sunroof. As Ajmat said the 'tilt' function is great to ventilate the car, even with the ACC in auto mode (includes fresh-air mode), the air inside gets a little stale after about an hour. I then pick a nice clean stretch and tilt the sunroof up and presto - the car feels fresher in a few minutes.

Opening the sunroof for a few minutes clears the hot air out of the car much faster in summer making the A/c that much more effective.

The glass roof with the shade pushed back is great when it rains or sky is cloudy and yes, the light it lets in on a cloudy / rainy day is fantastic.

Cheers,
Ravveendrra is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th September 2009, 22:40   #11
nissan

Sun/moonroofs simply make you feel like you are in a luxury car. They are just for Show-Offs. It grabs other's attention(head-turner). Other than this, they are not of much usage.

Old 7th September 2009, 22:47   #12
Senior - BHPian

Use of Moon roof

Karva Chauth ke din, nayi biwi ko chand dikhaneka kaam aayega

translation:

one can show the moon to the nely wed wife on the occation of karva chauth festival so that she can break her fast after spotting the moon.
Old 7th September 2009, 22:58   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarVegabond View Post
Karva Chauth ke din, nayi biwi ko chand dikhaneka kaam aayega

translation:

one can show the moon to the nely wed wife on the occation of karva chauth festival so that she can break her fast after spotting the moon.
this was the theme for the first chevy optra ad, if I am not mistaken.
Old 7th September 2009, 23:00   #14
Senior - BHPian

Meaning less. And day by day the heat is getting more, so what this will do is just eat more energy. The interiors will get heated up more, so we will end up cooling more.

I think its better if they give a better toolkit than a sunroof that is of no use.
Old 8th September 2009, 00:12   #15
BANNED

i wanted one for 15 years i remember seeing these in bmws in london back in the 80's that time india was still new to cars even. this year we got a i10 and the TD car given had one. my dad was so impressed with it we booked one on the spot. he thought only top end came in automatic and sunroof came in the package. after 6 months he found out i made him buy top end model and there was a base model autobox. i wanted the sunroof and i have had and am enjoying it since 9 months now. its wicked specially with a few girls popping outta it

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks