Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 00:15   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
i wanted one for 15 years i remember seeing these in bmws in london back in the 80's that time india was still new to cars even. this year we got a i10 and the TD car given had one. my dad was so impressed with it we booked one on the spot. he thought only top end came in automatic and sunroof came in the package. after 6 months he found out i made him buy top end model and there was a base model autobox. i wanted the sunroof and i have had and am enjoying it since 9 months now. its wicked specially with a few girls popping outta it
Thats wicked Jesal ! But popping out of sunroof can be dangerous , especially in Indian cities!!
Old 8th September 2009, 01:02   #17
BHPian

just like tie & coat (an absolute nonsense in India, considering our hot weather), for this roofs also we will blindly follow the western world.
Old 8th September 2009, 03:05   #18
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackasta View Post
popping out of sunroof can be dangerous , especially in Indian cities!!
That doesn't seem to deter fond papas and mamas from allowing their precious darlings to lean out of the sunroof to catch the breeze (or is it the view?) I've seen this many times in and around Lokhandwala Complex in Bombay.
Old 8th September 2009, 07:14   #19
BHPian

Why not? For frequent travelers to Himachal Pradesh, Sunroof is must!!
Old 8th September 2009, 07:37   #20
Senior - BHPian

I love it. It's one of those totally useless features but it's just oh-so-cool.

I once saw a girl sticking her head out of the sunroof of a black BMW 8 series on Carter Road. It's one of those images that will stay with me forever.
Old 8th September 2009, 07:41   #21
BHPian

I would love to have it in a car. Can be used on a wintry weekend in Bangalore to get some sun light & heat in. And I've always wanted to use one on a full moon day with my wife in the passenger seat .
Old 8th September 2009, 08:46   #22
Team-BHP Support

I had sunroof in my 2001 Acura 3.2 TL, I think I used it twice in the 3.5 years I had it. Enough said.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:06   #23
BHPian

Well... I live in Chennai. Its hot during most part of the year. Moreover dust and pollution where do you get a chance to open them?

Could work out while driving in hill stations, but definetly not in Chennai.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:25   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
I have it in my RS

I like the tilt function and it ventelates the car especially if parking for a while. When the car is heated up, I open the roof for a minute to let hot air escape.

It has its limitations in town and dusty areas but on a winter morning like Bangalore or after a monsoon shower, the fresh air is blish.

I particular enjoy driving around Ooty, Kodaikanal with the roof open also evening drives.

Limitations - dust and sometimes it could leak if the drainage channels are blocked

What I do for letting the hot air escape is to roll down the front windows for a little while. Often, when parking in the summer sun, I roll them down half an inch or so to help circulation inside. It works very well. I wouldn't spend the large amounts being charged for the sun/moon roof.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:31   #25
Senior - BHPian

I would love to have a sunroof for my car too. Unfortunately I have never owned any car that has a sunroof.

Now I have a Jeep that has no roof.

I occasionally drive my buds Opel Club and the feel inside the cabin is transformed the minute the roof opens. I love sunroofs.

In short I love the wind in the hair feel. The feeling only lasts until your hair remains.

Last edited by beejay : 8th September 2009 at 09:44. Reason: In short...
Old 8th September 2009, 09:31   #26
Team-BHP Support

Inside city it'll be an issue always. I haven't opened mine more than ten time in this five and a half years.
Old 8th September 2009, 09:38   #27
Team-BHP Support

I want a large sunroof.
Damn IT!

I just want a Jeep.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:04   #28
BANNED

I feel that the sunroof in India is more of a pain. Ages ago we owned a Ford Anglia with a sun roof. The leakage from the roof during monsoons forced my father to get it closed and welded over. Modern designs probably do not suffer from this.

Unless you are in parts of the country with a salubrious climate you will hardly ever get to use it. It is either too hot or too cold.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:07   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
Modern designs probably do not suffer from this.
Leakage is more prone for those after market fitment. There's no problem (generally) with OE fitment.
Old 8th September 2009, 10:13   #30
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes it is required till you have it.

No it is not required once you have it.

The Laura sun roof is very reliable - let me touch some wood - no leaks etc, and provided all the functionality and modes required. Yet have used on only once in the true sense when my 4 year old nephew was feeling cranky letting him raise his hand out of the roof raised his spirits.

The base cover / shutter is required to be kept on most of the time as a it gets hot under the sun in day time and also due to a wierd glare that comes in.

Most cars have sun roofs that are just above the driver and co driver heads - and they obviously cannot raise theirs from the front seat, the roof is located such that the rear seat guys too cannot just stand up from their seats.

Even from a view point of view it is above the front seat and you cant see up while driving and is too far ahead for the rear seat guys liking.

The newer fuller panaromic view roofs are a better idea for those who are interested.

But seriously would never again pay extra for a sun moon roof unless it happens to be part of that versions features.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks