Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 10:47   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
As mentioned by me earlier the figures at your end need a recheck, the latest autocar report start of manufacuring of skoda fabia at the new VW plant in the month of Aug. - this could explain the gap???

Vasudeva pls do check out for VW mfg numbers in Aug to account for Skoda shortfall.
VW has reported 0 production in 7/09 and 8/09, and also 0 production during Apr-Aug 2009. Perhaps they are reporting only sales and not production, or something else.
Old 10th September 2009, 11:36   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quite surprised to see Ritz sales figures going down which is contradicting the waiting period Ritz has.
Looks like Maruti is facing some sort of production crunch due to plant maintenance/ upgradation or inventory related.
Old 10th September 2009, 11:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

The Ritz already has discounts, this is a clear sign of low sales(than expected), also most of the Maruti showroom guys spend a lot of time convincing you buy the Ritz if you had plans for buying the Swift.

I saw the Beige interior Swift Petrol & I think that's how Maruti expects to divert the Petrol Sales from Swift to Ritz
Old 10th September 2009, 11:52   #49
Senior - BHPian

This graph shows quarterly market shares in UVs and luxury cars (.4.5 m). Data is from Q1FY06 (Apr-Jun 05). Since the graph looks a bit cluttered, some observations on recent trends:
1. In UVs, M&M has zoomed ahead of the competition especially from late-2008.
2. Who has lost: GM, Tata, and Toyota. However, Toyota has recovered substantially during the last 5-6 mths.
3. In luxury segment, VW group is the leader, followed by Fiat. However, the segment is very wide from 6-8 lakhs for Fiat to 1 crore or roundabouts. There are 2 clear losers here both with an H: straight or italic. Hyundai's share was 10.1% in Apr-Jun 06 but 1.1% in Jul-Aug 09. Honda's share down from 46.5% in Jul-Sep 06 (Civic launch) to 11.4%.Toyota had a sudden spike to 37% in Q2FY09, wnt down to 14% in Q4FY09, but at 19.7% in Jul-Aug 09.
Attached Thumbnails
August 2009 Indian Car Sales Figures & Analysis-market-share-uvs.jpg  

Old 10th September 2009, 12:18   #50
Senior - BHPian

Honda have a promotion scheme going now called the "Great Honda Fest 2009" - you stand a chance to win a new Honda every week. Problem is you have to buy one to be eligible to win one! Does it make sense?

Great Honda Fest.
Old 10th September 2009, 12:22   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Honda have a promotion scheme going now called the "Great Honda Fest 2009" - you stand a chance to win a new Honda every week. Problem is you have to buy one to be eligible to win one! Does it make sense?

Great Honda Fest.
This seems like a cross subsidisation. Many customers will pay a higher price for 1 customer to get a free Honda. So, customers and not Honda may pay for such freebies.
Old 10th September 2009, 12:33   #52
Senior - BHPian

Ritz sales are surprising for me too. It was within striking distance of Swift last month - both were at 6,xxx units but in August, Ritz remained at that level while Swift has pulled ahead to over 9K units. This, despite the Ritz DDiS being BS-IV while Swift is BS-III. Also, Swift petrol's have stopped from what we know so can we safely assume that about 80% sales are of DDis Swifts?
Old 10th September 2009, 14:37   #53
Senior - BHPian

I guess some really hardcore Swift fans and tenacious buyers are buying the Swift. Maruti salesmen have been instructed to hard sell the Ritz over the Swift yet the Ritz sales have fallen.
Old 10th September 2009, 14:43   #54
BHPian

I think the initial Euphoria for the Ritz has died down, but Autocar India's Anniversary Issue states "Ritz is a Smash Hit", where here in the post on the forum contradicts that.

What is their criteria of considering the car a Smash Hit ?
Old 10th September 2009, 14:45   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharma_sanjeevi View Post
I think the initial Euphoria for the Ritz has died down, but Autocar India's Anniversary Issue states "Ritz is a Smash Hit", where here in the post on the forum contradicts that.

What is their criteria of considering the car a Smash Hit ?
Whether Ritz is a smash hit or not is open to debate, but what is not is that magazine's definition of a smash hit is highly correlated to the presence or otherwise of a free `long-termer'.
Old 10th September 2009, 14:48   #56
Senior - BHPian

Maruti has started advertising for the DDiS Ritz, TV ads just mention "Also avaliable in 1.2 Petrol". I thought it's because diesel is not selling and maybe Maruti, rightly anticipating 60-70% sales from diesel, ended up with excess stock of the diesel.

Could it be because Ritz diesel performance is not as good as that of Swift? Heavier weight and BS IV norms have dented the engine's performance. I am sure every diesel buyer must be test driving both these cars and they must be finding Swift more peppier then Ritz.

ACI reported that Swift would be upgraded to BS IV too and this move would impact performance and NVH of the car. Sounds like the higher noise levels in Ritz and Punto is because of them being BS IV compliant.
Old 10th September 2009, 14:49   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
but what is not is that magazine's definition of a smash hit is highly correlated to the presence or otherwise of a free `long-termer'.
You could be right in this regard & this can have a high possibility.

Quote:
Sounds like the higher noise levels in Ritz and Punto is because of them being BS IV compliant.
You remember, first day when i went to check out the Ritz, during our conversation i pointed out that Ritz diesel is not as silent as the Swift Diesel.

It can be due to the BS-IV norms that the engine is not so silent, but in punto i found the sound levels are little bit higher compared to swift.

Strictly my feeling, it can be the other way also.

Last edited by Technocrat : 10th September 2009 at 15:09.
Old 10th September 2009, 16:05   #58
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:

Great Honda Fest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
This seems like a cross subsidisation. Many customers will pay a higher price for 1 customer to get a free Honda. So, customers and not Honda may pay for such freebies.
It would be smarter to drop prices across the board or provide free insurance etc rather than run such schemes. They do not normally drop prices but this time they seem to have bitten more than can be chewed and will be forced to drop prices.

Quote:
Maruti has started advertising for the DDiS Ritz, TV ads just mention "Also avaliable in 1.2 Petrol". I thought it's because diesel is not selling and maybe Maruti, rightly anticipating 60-70% sales from diesel, ended up with excess stock of the diesel.

Could it be because Ritz diesel performance is not as good as that of Swift? Heavier weight and BS IV norms have dented the engine's performance. I am sure every diesel buyer must be test driving both these cars and they must be finding Swift more peppier then Ritz.

ACI reported that Swift would be upgraded to BS IV too and this move would impact performance and NVH of the car. Sounds like the higher noise levels in Ritz and Punto is because of them being BS IV compliant.
Ritz Diesel would soon be seen in the Swift as well so the present difference is immaterial.

Ritz is a hit due to its petrol itself.
Old 10th September 2009, 16:19   #59
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
It would be smarter to drop prices across the board or provide free insurance etc rather than run such schemes. They do not normally drop prices but this time they seem to have bitten more than can be chewed and will be forced to drop prices.
Perhaps Honda should advertise two prices:

Civic (without lottery entry): X price
Civic (with lottery entry): X+50000

That way, customers who hope for a free Civic can choose, and smart people can rather take the cash.
Old 10th September 2009, 16:39   #60
BHPian

I feel the profit margin on on Ritz Diesel should be more than the Petrol one.Also, as somebody commented above, they may have produced lots of Ritz Diesels in anticipation of robust diesel sale as has been on the swift. The Price of both Ritz and Swift Diesels are almost comparable.
The adds for Ritz mention the 1.2 K series engine as an after thought. And DDiS is mentioned in bold!!!
Maruti is advertising the K-series engine separately also!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed