Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 16:49   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
Maruti has started advertising for the DDiS Ritz, TV ads just mention "Also avaliable in 1.2 Petrol". I thought it's because diesel is not selling and maybe Maruti, rightly anticipating 60-70% sales from diesel, ended up with excess stock of the diesel.

I think it has more to do with the price difference in the petrol and diesel models. The Price difference between the petrol and diesel base variants is close to a whooping 80k, hence it seems like people rather prefer the petrol ritz over its diesel sibling.
Old 10th September 2009, 17:05   #62
Senior - BHPian

Great Analysis GTO & Vasudeva,

I also second some ones proposal that Car Market Analysis deserves a seperate section. we should extend this with Different product benchmarking info already available. We can also include 2 wheeler market analysis as well.

As i understand the MEGA trends are

1. Maruti, Hyundai, Tata and Mahindra are Big 4 of Indian four wheeler market
2. Maruti Suzuki is clearly the Portoflio, Market reach, Market share, profitability and customer service leader
3. Small cars continue to lead the volumes
4. Definition of Luxury is getting redefined from Merc-Benz to BMW
5. C+/D segment sales are picking up = indication of economic confidence of rich people.
6. GM, Toyota, Honda and FIAT are not the among the leaders in India probably becasue of their portfolio and market reach
Old 10th September 2009, 17:46   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
Safari is a segment (read Rs. 2L) above the Scorpio so sales are bound to be lesser
This is not correct IMO.

The LX version of Scorpio M Hawk is cheaper by just Rs 35K with respect to Safari's LX version.

While the top of the line Scorp VLX is cheaper than Safari VX by about Rs 120K.
Old 11th September 2009, 09:35   #64
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasudeva View Post
Perhaps Honda should advertise two prices:

Civic (without lottery entry): X price
Civic (with lottery entry): X+50000

That way, customers who hope for a free Civic can choose, and smart people can rather take the cash.
Thats a neat Idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrsteer View Post
This is not correct IMO.

The LX version of Scorpio M Hawk is cheaper by just Rs 35K with respect to Safari's LX version.

While the top of the line Scorp VLX is cheaper than Safari VX by about Rs 120K.
Yep you are right with the AT model comming in the top of the line model from scorpio is closer. It's still about 1.5l with taxes but the point you make is valid to that extent.
Old 11th September 2009, 10:34   #65
Senior - BHPian

Already reported in the newspapers and here about car sales and overall sales. Some more observations about the industry:
1. Overall automotive sales crossed 1 million and were at 1008702 in 8/2009. This is the 2nd instance of sales crossing >1 million. The first was in 10/2007.
2. Car sales crossed 150,000 for the first time ever in 8/2009. The 100,000 mark was first crossed in 1/2005. Recovery is huge from 100,000 in 11/2008.
3. 2w sales peaked at 824182 in 10/2006. Sales were 776777 in 8/2009, compared with a recent low of 461302 in 12/2008.
4. Trucks and buses recorded first growth since 6/2008.
5. Export growth has slowed down to single digits this FY, with declines in CV and 2ws. Only 4w is showing only growth and that too at a high 20-40%. These are accounted for by the usual Hyundai and Maruti, but Linea is also being exported in very small numbers.

Last edited by ported_head : 12th September 2009 at 23:09. Reason: Correcting typo.
Old 12th September 2009, 04:13   #66
BHPian

hey man, where i can find something call "europian country sale" topic or something......
hear from someone from teambhp that in that topic told that our exported alto was break record the swift sale in EU. by 100% (i expect 50% increase from Swift....but someone here claim 100%)wowww!!!!!

just want to check the topic my selft.

Last edited by thainogkok : 12th September 2009 at 04:25.
Old 12th September 2009, 08:46   #67
Senior - BHPian

selling 950 lineas and 1800 puntos does it augur well for fiat?.

they seem to be on the down side...i atleast expected to settle down to 1500 linea and 2000 puntos a month.

are they underselling?. is it because of the Brand image thingy?.
Old 12th September 2009, 11:28   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeash View Post
selling 950 lineas and 1800 puntos does it augur well for fiat?.
I think so. Note that in August, Linea sales have rised from an average of 850 to 950. Agreed that it's festival time and sales tend to jump but Fiat also benefitted from this. Today I saw 5 Linea's on my drive to work. Off late, I have been a lot of Linea's. For Punto, it's on it's third straight month of increase. That's a good thing. Being a Fiat, it doesn't have the luxury of a honeymoon phase so increasing sales are good news.

Quote:
they seem to be on the down side...i atleast expected to settle down to 1500 linea and 2000 puntos a month.

are they underselling?. is it because of the Brand image thingy?.
To a large extent it is a brand thing. There are many people waiting to take the plunge but waiting because they are not confident of Fiat. Looking at the image Fiat has, for Linea, I would say they should be able to sell 40% of the segment leader City.That's about 2,800X40% = 1120 units. Slightly lower yes, but they can improve.

For Punto, they should target 50% of i20 sales. That's 3200X50% = 1600-1650 units. Punto is doing about 1750-1800 units.
Old 12th September 2009, 16:43   #69
srh
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
I think so. Note that in August, Linea sales have rised from an average of 850 to 950. Agreed that it's festival time and sales tend to jump but Fiat also benefitted from this. Today I saw 5 Linea's on my drive to work. Off late, I have been a lot of Linea's. For Punto, it's on it's third straight month of increase. That's a good thing. Being a Fiat, it doesn't have the luxury of a honeymoon phase so increasing sales are good news.

To a large extent it is a brand thing. There are many people waiting to take the plunge but waiting because they are not confident of Fiat. Looking at the image Fiat has, for Linea, I would say they should be able to sell 40% of the segment leader City.That's about 2,800X40% = 1120 units. Slightly lower yes, but they can improve.

For Punto, they should target 50% of i20 sales. That's 3200X50% = 1600-1650 units. Punto is doing about 1750-1800 units.
Its not only to do with the brand. Even if you have customers queuing to buy the car, you need to have the capacity to produce that many cars, infrastructure (dealerships) to sell & service & provide spares. More cars in pipeline means more working capital too. Your capacity calculations are based on your forecast and I don't think that you put up capacity to service peak demand. So if demand is more than your forecast, you lose the sale.
Old 12th September 2009, 21:08   #70
Distinguished - BHPian

Skoda has increased prices of the Superb by 58k, which makes the price diff between it and the accord around 80k.
Considering the extra features the superb provides I don't see it hitting it's sales but let's see how the market responds to this. Current waiting period on the Superb is 6 weeks.
Old 12th September 2009, 22:25   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sahil View Post
Skoda has increased prices of the Superb by 58k, which makes the price diff between it and the accord around 80k.
Considering the extra features the superb provides I don't see it hitting it's sales but let's see how the market responds to this. Current waiting period on the Superb is 6 weeks.
diesel is the same, 45k increment for v6, shouldn't make any diff to sales in my opinion
Old 13th September 2009, 20:13   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bashani View Post
I think it has more to do with the price difference in the petrol and diesel models. The Price difference between the petrol and diesel base variants is close to a whooping 80k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
as somebody commented above, they may have produced lots of Ritz Diesels in anticipation of robust diesel sale as has been on the swift. The Price of both Ritz and Swift Diesels are almost comparable.
Have been trying to buy a Ritz Petrol Zxi for last three weeks. Both dealers in Goa have ample stocks of the diesel, but the petrol is scarce. One dealer will get Zxi stocks in October!
Looks like Maruti miscalculated customer preferences. There are discounts on Ritz diesel, on the petrol they will not give anything.
Also the price difference is just that much to make you choose petrol over diesel.
Old 14th September 2009, 09:34   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by filcord View Post
Have been trying to buy a Ritz Petrol Zxi for last three weeks. Both dealers in Goa have ample stocks of the diesel, but the petrol is scarce. One dealer will get Zxi stocks in October!
Looks like Maruti miscalculated customer preferences. There are discounts on Ritz diesel, on the petrol they will not give anything.
Also the price difference is just that much to make you choose petrol over diesel.
I faced the same situation in Pune when I went to enquire about the Ritz Zxi. A minimum of two weeks waiting period was mentioned to me. Interesting the Vxi was readily available and so were the diesel options with discount. Even the Swift petrol was having a two month waiting period.
Old 14th September 2009, 10:04   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAutobot View Post
I faced the same situation in Pune when I went to enquire about the Ritz Zxi. A minimum of two weeks waiting period was mentioned to me. Interesting the Vxi was readily available and so were the diesel options with discount. Even the Swift petrol was having a two month waiting period.
This is surprising that a Maruti diesel is at a discount and readily available (unlike Swift and Dzire). Perhaps, people prefer diesel Swift/Dzire over a Ritz.
Old 14th September 2009, 10:39   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAutobot View Post

Two weeks is really good in my opinion. When i went to enquire about the ZXi, i was told anything between 2-3 months for ZXi. All other models were available and discounts were also offered for diesels. But the ZXi was clearly not in stock.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks