Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th July 2005, 09:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Would you buy a 2 door car ?

Worldover, its pretty much accepted that 2 door cars (with 4 seats) are more sporty than their 4 door brethern. By sporty, I mean they look sporty and feel sporty but they may not necessarily drive sporty even though they should because they are lighter and stiffer bodies.

10-15 years ago the car scene was different. Cars were more of a luxury and there was usually 1 car per household which means the car has to be a family hauler plus daily transport. So, 2 door was not a option. The failure of the Sierra is a great example. These days its common to have 2-3 cars in the family and many young people and students have their own car.

In the bike market we have the Karizma, Comet and P180 which are unbashed sporty bikes and every guy who rides one is gets a serious boost in image but nothing like that in car market.

For Example, if Maruti launches a 2 door Swift with a warmed up engine and suspension, do you think it would work in India ??

Last edited by Mpower : 13th July 2005 at 09:29.
Old 13th July 2005, 09:33   #2
Team-BHP Support

The Zen was launched in a 2 door version. Silver and Carbon I think they were called.
Old 13th July 2005, 09:34   #3
Senior - BHPian

Remember Zen Carbon and Zen Steel??

If Maruti launches a two door Swift, its going to meet the same fate...
Old 13th July 2005, 09:40   #4
Senior - BHPian

The Carbon and Steel were limited edition models. They were not withdrawn due to poor sales. In fact I think they were a sellout. Maruti has always been making them for exports to Europe.

It was the Palio S-10 (Sachin edition) that was a flop, but that may be due to other reasons and of course it wasnt a 2-door although it was a sports (limited) edition.
Old 13th July 2005, 09:49   #5
BHPian

Yes, I would definitely like a 2-door car. My only condition (and one that may be difficult to achieve) is that it should be in the sub-10L category.

Am I right in thinking that being sporty, the 2-door versions should have a low gorund clearance? If so, then I don't see how that will work in India. Manufacturers may not be able to achieve the sportiness while keeping the clearance at 160+ levels.
Old 13th July 2005, 10:18   #6
BHPian

exactly, steel & carbon were limited edition models..and could not be considered as a flop, but again they were launched at a higher price compared to the stock zen.
The swift with 2 doors could work right now, but with slightly more power and better looking alloys, plus not a very significant increase in price.
Old 13th July 2005, 10:34   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower
These days its common to have 2-3 cars in the family and many young people and students have their own car.
This I believe is still a pretty small market in India .. a 2 door would not sell in large numbers .. plus if we want it with performance trappings, it would have a higher price too which in turn would make it an even smaller market ..

Even if a Swift is launched in a 2 door avatar, I don't think it work right away with a higher tag .. initially it's got to be around the same price point ...
once the market matures, the specs and price could be upgraded ..
Old 13th July 2005, 10:44   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
It was the Palio S-10 (Sachin edition) that was a flop, but that may be due to other reasons and of course it wasnt a 2-door although it was a sports (limited) edition.
I wouldn't call it a flop. For a limited edition model, I've seen enough of S-10's.
Old 13th July 2005, 10:45   #9
BHPian

I think that the only car makers who could pull it off would be Merc. BMW and Suzuki... maybe Honda a little while back, but I doubt that they can do it now...
Reasons:
1. Merc/BMW: If you can afford one of these, WHO CARES HOW MANY DOORS ITS GOT??!!! in my opinion, if its the status symbol, the fewer the doors, the better!!

2. Suzuki: They did it with the Carbon and Steel (they were both sell outs... 600 each, booked within the 1st month.). I believe that if they get the Baleno-Swift and stick two doors on it, give it a few racing decals and nice, 14-15 inch alloys, it'd sell for those who are interested in racing. After all, they're having prettty good signs as far as racing is concerned with the Baleno itself...

3. Honda: They ca still technically do it with the Jazz. They are known to get fantastic figures even without advertising (OHC 1 & 2 were RARELY advertised for, na?). They have always placed top notch cars for the respective categories, and have always been niche players - at least as far as this market goes. They should be able to sell the Jazz decently, if they markket it right, and give it some sorta appeal. It certainly can't be the engine, which s said to be pretty under-powered, but then, who's stopping engine transplants when we got in-house tuners??!! I still think that Honda will wait for someone to launch a 2-door first, monitor its progress, and then get the Jazz. Its unlikely that they'll get the Civic, as it wouldd cut into their NHC sales... and forget bout getting the NSX etc. etc... hehe...

Just my 2c...

Aveek
Old 13th July 2005, 10:54   #10
BHPian

I would buy a sporty two-door hot hatch in a flash. But I don't think there are enough people like me to convince the manufacturers to release a two-door here.

A two door swift with 15- or 16-inch alloys, lowered suspension and a tuned version of the Baleno engine... drool!
Old 13th July 2005, 12:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

It depends on which car is 2 door & for what purpose it will be used

& NO I wouldn't buy 2 door swift that car isn't a sporty one

But a two door OHC VTEC hatch ?
YEAH!
it might even outsell NHC
Old 13th July 2005, 13:00   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliforniaKnight
exactly, steel & carbon were limited edition models..and could not be considered as a flop, but again they were launched at a higher price compared to the stock zen.
Info from a Maruti insider: Maruti had one of their 2-door export Zen deliveries rejected by the customer. Cant remember the reason. These were then rebranded as Carbon and Steel, prices jacked up over the stock Zen and sold as premium cars.. Thats why we havent seen these versions again in the market.. Talk about taking Indian customers for a ride.

As for myself, YES, would definetely buy a 2-door sports coupe if I can afford it.

Last edited by nitinbhag : 13th July 2005 at 13:07.
Old 13th July 2005, 13:43   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbhag
Info from a Maruti insider: Maruti had one of their 2-door export Zen deliveries rejected by the customer. Cant remember the reason. These were then rebranded as Carbon and Steel, prices jacked up over the stock Zen and sold as premium cars.. Thats why we havent seen these versions again in the market.. Talk about taking Indian customers for a ride.
Yes I've heard this story about Carbon and Steel from a dealer friend of mine, too.

We wont get a 2 door Swift because Maruti wont be exporting any of the 1.3 litre stripped down cars - no export rejects, then...

Personally I feel you should have a two door car only if you have two seats - whats the point in putting 2 rows of seats with only one row of ingress, allegedly because it LOOKS more sporty?

Two seater two-doors are the only practical two-door cars. In my opinion, all the other 'Coupe's with seats behind the driver are quite ridiculous since they were meant to seat 4.

Which is why I was Smart enough to buy such a two-seater, I guess
Old 13th July 2005, 13:45   #14
BHPian

I've always drooled at 2-door convertibles during overseas trips.. The jazziness and sportiness they had.. Best among them was the Mustang 2000 GT, and the Mitsubishi Eclipse convertible.. They are just worth drooling over..

Snap Snap, back to reality.. Where are the roads in India to drive those beauties?? Those cars come with very low ground clearance.. I don't see any value driving those vehicles in the pot-hole and speed-braker infested by-lanes of Bangalore.. I would rather stick to a M800 or an Indica to do the job..

Bottom line, if i were in the US/Europe.. I would go for the car at the drop of a hat (provided i had the money heh heh..) But in India, its an absolute no-no..
Old 13th July 2005, 13:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Without batting an eyelid. Zen Carbon, Tata Sierra...these are the stuff my dreams are made of. Imagine the 2door Zen with a 1.6 GTi engine!

Why is everyone equating 2 doors with low clearance? Look at the Sierra. Even the new Mustang isn't too low.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks