Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 16th September 2009, 18:51   #1
Senior - BHPian

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai

Just back from the Nissan launch this afternoon at the Taj Lands End at Bandra where the second gen Teana and the facelift XTrail made their debut. The updated Teana looks much better than the earlier one. The tail lights reminded me of the Merc tail lights. I found the interiors to be very well finished. Top notch according to me but the I'm not very fond of the whole beige look. The new Teana comes with a new 2.5 litre V6 engine with Nissan's new Xtronic CVT gearbox. Other options include a twin sunroof which is nice and I guess is a first for a car in this segment, and three layer ventilated seats, only in the top end model though.

The all-new XTrail doesnt look too different from its predecessor. It looks like just another Jap soft roader, pretty boxy for my liking really. The interiors are very nice indeed, not to mention that the speedo console is back where it belonged. The Xtrail comes with a new 2.0 litre diesel engine with the choice of either a six speed manual or automatic gearbox. The Xtrail has all mode 4x4i (intelligent as Nissan calls it).There is also Hill Descent Control (HDC) and Hill Start Assist (HSA) but they feature only on the top end model.

Met up with The Nissan India CEO Kiminobu Tokuyama. He told me that Nisssan would be launching the 370z in the first quarter of 2010. Upon that, I threw a googly at him " Do you plan to introduce the GTR in India considering there are quite a few takers for it?" Pat comes the reply " We cannot say anything about it right now" So guys keep guessing. . He also told me that Nissan plans to launch 9 new models by 2012 and expand their dealer and service network to 55 all over the country.

Prices for the new Teana Ex showroom Delhi: two variants

Teana 2.5 XL - Rs. 21.03 lakhs
Teana 2.5 XV - Rs. 25.40 lakhs

Prices for the new Xtrail Ex showroom Delhi: Three variants

LX - Rs. 20.81 lakhs
SLX - Rs. 23.18 lakhs
SLX AT - 25.08 lakhs

Here are some pictures from the launch

TEANA

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-nissanlogo.jpg

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-teana1.jpg

Name:  teana2.jpg
Views: 3860
Size:  74.1 KB

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-teanacentre.jpg

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-teanadash.jpg

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-teanaengine.jpg

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-teanafrontseat.jpg

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-teanataillight.jpg

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-teanawheel.jpg

XTRAIL

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-xtrail1.jpg

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-xtrail2.jpg

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-xtrailcentre.jpg

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-xtraildash.jpg

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-xtrailengine.jpg

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-xtrailfrontseats.jpg

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-drawer1.jpg

Report and Pics: Nissan India launch New Teana and XTrail in Mumbai-drawer2.jpg

Last edited by Rehaan : 11th October 2009 at 11:08. Reason: "all new"
Old 16th September 2009, 21:26   #2
BHPian

Teana looks gorgeous. Considering that it's Made in Japan, the price is not bad.
Old 16th September 2009, 22:28   #3
Senior - BHPian

The prices are a bit steep as compared to the Superb and Accord. But then you're getting quality too! However, Nissan after-sales is a worry.
Old 16th September 2009, 22:35   #4
Senior - BHPian

1) Can you give what output the 2.0 ltr. diesel gives ? The car has grown in size and with that engine I doubt it will give good performance. This is not Captive sort of vehicle that is more of crossover, but this is SUV.

2) The Teana comes with the award winning VQ series of engine, but now its not the latest. This car gets an oversquare engine. The latest generation of engines from Nissan have a very unique type of variable valve timing that can manage both phasing and lift. I think this Teana is not the one to get that.
I would have loved to see the latest tech flowing into this car.

EDIT :
Why cant Nissan come with VQ series 3.5 ltr engine to compete with Accord V6.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 16th September 2009 at 22:40.
Old 16th September 2009, 23:06   #5
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Why cant Nissan come with VQ series 3.5 ltr engine to compete with Accord V6.
As it is the India assembled Accord V6 is overpriced,so expect the the VQ engined CBU Teana(if launched) to hover around the 30L mark.
At that price nobody's going to buy it.
Old 16th September 2009, 23:16   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Dippy, Nice coverage.

I think Nissan has potential but they are overly cautious with their strategy and volumes. India is a do or die market. Honda has set a nice example for others to study, but sadly no other Jap manufacture is following the same strategy and we H badge is enjoying the delay.

Marketing works and Nissan has to realize it. No ads = no business
Old 16th September 2009, 23:19   #7
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Dippy.
@ Ayan- But these are also CBUs and they are already beating the Accord V6's price range and equipment list. Also there are not many takers for the Teana anyways (except fleet owners and hotel owners). Nissan would kill itself if it bought in the VQ.

Last edited by V-16 : 16th September 2009 at 23:20.
Old 16th September 2009, 23:26   #8

I heard its much better than the Current Camry and the Accord.
Old 16th September 2009, 23:29   #9
Senior - BHPian

Dippy, nice report and pics. Did you ask them about their small car plans?
Old 16th September 2009, 23:30   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by V-16 View Post
@ Ayan- But these are also CBUs and they are already beating the Accord V6's price range and equipment list. Also there are not many takers for the Teana anyways (except fleet owners and hotel owners). Nissan would kill itself if it bought in the VQ.
Yes! But Honda has got a upper hand with its image,dealer network and after sales service.
While Honda's marketing the Accord V6 as a driver's car,the Teana claims itself to be(and is) a full blown luxo-barge!
So clientele should be a bit different for these two cars.
Accord V6 will outsell Teana in spite of being overpriced!
Old 17th September 2009, 09:21   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Dippy, nice report and pics. Did you ask them about their small car plans?
Nissan is planning a small car somewhere next year or early 2011. They are looking have a total of 9 models in the Indian Market by 2012 which include cars tailormade for the country. They plan to make India a hub for exports to other countries.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami
1) Can you give what output the 2.0 ltr. diesel gives ? The car has grown in size and with that engine I doubt it will give good performance. This is not Captive sort of vehicle that is more of crossover, but this is SUV.
The Xtrail has approx 150 BHP @ 4000rpm from 2.0 litre diesel and pumps out 320Nm of torque @ 2000rpm

Last edited by Dippy : 17th September 2009 at 10:01.
Old 17th September 2009, 09:37   #12
BHPian

That means Nissan is planning big and is committed.
Both Teana and X-Trail has exclusivity factor and their clientèle are indeed different.
Old 17th September 2009, 09:57   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dippy View Post
Nissan is planning a small car somewhere next year or early 2011. They are looking have a total of 9 models in the Indian Market by 2012 which include cars tailormade for the country. They plan to make India a hub for exports to other countries.
the new teana is a lot better than the outgoing bland looker.
on the other hand, the X Trail is confused. its horrible.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:14   #14
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Have seen the new nissan teana and it looks great, and is indeed a much better than the Camry and ill in all probably beat it in the CBU shoot out but the accord 1.8 pricing with honda setup plus skoda superb competetion will prevent significant numbers inspite of the great looks due to the absence of VFM factor.

The X Trail is an attrocious offering for the price and indian market user where one doesn't really use hill decent control etc for a soft roader tragetted at the lux market. If the Pajeros, Endys and fortuner were to offer these features it would make sense, in the softroader category is just a good drive, auto xmission and exclusive looks with luxary features that the customer looks out for.
Old 17th September 2009, 11:20   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

What Nissan really needs is to build the cars here (thus better pricing) and a wider service network. As things stand, the Teana is more expensive than the Accord and the Superb. Neither does Nissan command the brand premium to get away with charging premiums. They need to rework their Indian strategy if there are any hopes of having an impact in the market. What the Teana is good at is sheer backseat comfort and the smooth V6 (only 2.5 liters!). Still for the price, as Gogi posted, only Hotels will buy the Teana on EPCG schemes (same with the CBU Camry). The X-Trail : Well, no real USP.

Importantly, Nissan ought to work on more market relevant products. Read = hatchbacks & C segment sedans.

Most Viewed