Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th September 2009, 15:03   #31
BHPian

4 disk brakes are a necessity for performance cars - or even otherwise. Its a shame that in India even cars with pathetic braking performance (read Indian made SUVs) still insist on rear drums. And then Hyundai goes and replaces disks with drums , excellent move Hyundai - must be some head honcho with no clue about cars who is taking these decisions. Just because the competition gets away with it is not reason enough to ruin a great car. SHAME SHAME!
Old 19th September 2009, 17:28   #32
BANNED

It is in good or shall I say bad) company. The new City also has rear drums, even though all previous VTeCs had rear discs! This is not changed even in the upgrade.
Old 19th September 2009, 17:44   #33
Senior - BHPian

First and foremost priority in a car like Verna of for that matter any car should have ABS.
Good braking is really required in Verna where pickup is mindblowing when turbo kicks in. Added with ABS the rear Discs help a lot in my opinion in lessening the braking distance. Those who drive i20 crdi may know how good the brakes are. Hyundai removed discs from rear of Verna and put them in i20 crdi

People say that ABS isnt much of a problem and they are experienced enough to brake without locking the tyres. When you see a cycle or a man crossing the road at a speed of 80, the reflec action is to dab the brake pedal. Noone is that expert to press pedals repeatedly in such a instance and avoid locking.
ABS is a must, just spend 20-30k and get it, maybe someday it will save 1-1.5L on front end damage.

I have a non ABS scorpio and i know how tough i find it as i know my brakes will lock easily. At 80km/h if i see a truck moving 100-200m ahead in my adjacent lane, my foot is near the brake for the fear factor.
Bad move by Hyundai, Verna is not a car where one can compromise with braking. The initial Vernas sold didnt even had the ABS leave alone all 4 Discs.
Old 19th September 2009, 19:11   #34
Team-BHP Support

I thought about this.

Usually at the time of booking they do mention that some features may be added or deleted by the time the car is delivered.

When I booked my Lancer SFXi it was supposed to come with Ralliart Carbon Fibre gear knob. This was discontinued and replaced with the GLXi knob. I asked the dealer and he showed me the clause stating features may be removed at the time of delivery.

Now this is much more serious. Removing Disc brakes. I would say Hyundai would easily save 10K on this move.

But does this mean that they can remove ABS or remove ABS on a model and tell the customer the same clause??

While booking the Altis, I made it clear to the dealer that if any feature was removed in the new black colour, he should be ready to accept booking cancellation especially the xenons.
Old 20th September 2009, 00:19   #35
BHPian

In the current economic climate, all companies are doing their best to shore up their bottomline. Hyundai is no different.

I sincerely hope the powers that be at Hyundai motor see the move as short sighted and reverse this change from disk to drum at the earliest.
Old 20th September 2009, 03:30   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeepItSimple View Post
In the current economic climate, all companies are doing their best to shore up their bottomline. Hyundai is no different.

I sincerely hope the powers that be at Hyundai motor see the move as short sighted and reverse this change from disk to drum at the earliest.
Yes I hope for the same too. This is a very bad move. However, on the Verna diesel automatic that I test drove last weekend, the brakes were very good. Not sure whether the car had rear discs though.

I'd like to mention here that I've once again sent a long email to Hyundai India regarding missing/deleted features on the Getz, i10, i20, Verna etc (like I did a similar email before, but this one is far more detailed) but am not sure whether I should paste a copy of it on the forum. I did paste the earlier mail I sent.

If anyone has any contact details of some higher ups in Hyundai India, please do let me know. I would love to forward this email to them. I have 3-4 email IDs from the time when we escalated and got the "non receipt of exchange bonus of INR 10k" sorted out (2008, for purchase of Santro XO Ltd Edition in July 2007) so I have sent it to those email IDs. However it would be really helpful if we could get these viewpoints across to the higher ups in the company.

Warm regards,
Venkat
Old 20th September 2009, 03:44   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgiitk View Post
It is in good or shall I say bad) company. The new City also has rear drums, even though all previous VTeCs had rear discs! This is not changed even in the upgrade.
I dont think NHC and OHC Vtec's had rear discs

I may be wrong,someone please shed some light here.
Old 20th September 2009, 11:40   #38
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay4587 View Post
I dont think NHC and OHC Vtec's had rear discs

I may be wrong,someone please shed some light here.
NHC VTEC had rear disks for sure. Not sure about OHC VTEC.
Old 20th September 2009, 13:19   #39
Senior - BHPian

Yep the NHC VTEC definitely had rear discs. Not sure about the OHC but back then drums were the norm so I doubt if it had discs
Old 20th September 2009, 14:11   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Yep the NHC VTEC definitely had rear discs. Not sure about the OHC but back then drums were the norm so I doubt if it had discs
The discussion is not about OHC/NHC/ANHC variant having or not having the rear disc brakes. (For that matter the latest ANHC upgrade has only drum brakes in rear). It is not even about the requirement or the efficacy of the rear disc/drum brakes. It is about taking away an important feature in a vehicle on offer, without enough information on it to the customer, which IMHO is cheating.

BTW, the Hyundai Website describes only "Bigger front disc and booster sizes mean safer, faster braking". It does not mention rear disc brakes. So did the dealer pass-on any old brouchures or info to you?

Also, I noticed that under the tech. spec sheet of Verna, Hyundai does not give any details about the brakes, (While Honda/Fiat/Ford/Maruti clearly state the type of brakes). A convinient ommission, is it??
Old 20th September 2009, 14:23   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by psp62in View Post
The discussion is not about OHC/NHC/ANHC variant having or not having the rear disc brakes. (For that matter the latest ANHC upgrade has only drum brakes in rear). It is not even about the requirement or the efficacy of the rear disc/drum brakes. It is about taking away an important feature in a vehicle on offer, without enough information on it to the customer, which IMHO is cheating.
I was clarifying for akshay4578 who asked if the NHC had drums or discs at the back. By all means, continue with the discussion on the Verna.
Old 20th September 2009, 16:26   #42
BHPian

I came to know that Hyundai had omitted the rear disc brakes when I was finalizing my Verna SX (ABS) last week. Fortunately I found one with all 4 disc brakes at my local dealer's stockyard in the color I wanted, and have blocked the vehicle for myself. Although I may be getting a month or two older car, I would rather have the discs in the rear. And believe me, there is a lot more bite in the all 4 discs car, than the rear drums one; I have driven both recently and can confirm this.
Old 20th September 2009, 16:39   #43
BHPian

i'm feeling lucky

Hi all

I booked my CRDI SX ABS towards July, and got the car in August. It has got all the four wheels Disc brakes! After reading this story, like Google says, "I'm Feeling Lucky"
Old 20th September 2009, 23:16   #44
Senior - BHPian

This thread is getting more and more confusing. Newer variants of the Verna seem to be getting discovered, and some people have gone as far as to discuss strategies of Hyundai, or bad mouthing them, without knowing the facts.

Ok, lets get some things straight:

Truth 1: The SX ABS always came with rear discs, period. Hyundai offered, and still offers, rear discs with the ABS package. So SX ABS cars with rear drums never existed.

Truth 2: The standard SX (non ABS) always came with rear drums.. Hyundai never offered rear discs on the SX, and there is no question of feeling shortchanged as they discontinued it! I'm steadfast on this, and would like to see facts before believing the contrary.

Besides owning a Verna myself, I'm on good terms with a few Hyundai dealers, service guys, and current and past Verna owners. Since the last time I posted on this thread, I've talked to all of them, and confirmed the above 2 truths.

I dont intend to start a war here, but again, if you have to prove me wrong, do so with facts and logic.
Old 20th September 2009, 23:24   #45
Team-BHP Support

predatorwheelz,

So do you mean to say that the Verna SX with ABS still comes with all round discs?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks