Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th September 2009, 20:07   #1
Senior - BHPian

Silent and sad Omission on the new Verna - Now sports Drum brakes at rear on SX

I am taking a new Verna CRDI SX next week and my allotted car has arrived. True to TBHP tradition, on Tuesday, I went armed with my PDI checklist to check out the car. Everything was spot on. Clean Lines, Smooth engine, Good AC, Music system etc etc. Being an SX, it was a fully loaded car with everthing I wanted as standard including alloys. I just plan to upgrade to better tires on delivery. I selected the 3M tints and recerse parking sensors that they were offering as a freebie and asked them to get it fitted. Today I went to have a look after the fitment and it looked great. As I was about to leave (I am taking delivery only next week), I just glanced at the rear wheels and was shocked to see that it had drums and not disc's. Called the sales rep and he too was not aware. He made some calls and told me that the new Verna SX no longer comes with rear Disc's from this month even though it has ABS. Though the non-disc Verna's too have sufficientlly good stopping power, this omission was a letdown for me.

I feel it was bad on the part of Hyundai to make this move. Its clear that it was a move to cut costs, but doing this on the sly without informing the market probably was not a good thing. I agree very few of the C and C+ segment cars have rear disc's but taking out this feature which was previously existing in the Verna SX was sad. It seems they have added an engine immobiliser from this month. But a disc is a disc and I will miss it.

Did any of you know about this as I have not read any posts on this? I really hope my car is not an exception.

Otherwise happy with the progress. Waiting eagerly for the delivery date.

Last edited by dinu2506 : 17th September 2009 at 20:09.
Old 17th September 2009, 20:13   #2
Senior - BHPian

Shocking !!!

This is news to me. Very bad on Hyundai's part.

I checked on the site and it does NOT say anywhere now that the rear brakes are disc.
Old 17th September 2009, 21:51   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I am taking a new Verna CRDI SX next week and my allotted car has arrived. True to TBHP tradition, on Tuesday, I went armed with my PDI checklist to check out the car. Everything was spot on. Clean Lines, Smooth engine, Good AC, Music system etc etc. Being an SX, it was a fully loaded car with everthing I wanted as standard including alloys. I just plan to upgrade to better tires on delivery. I selected the 3M tints and recerse parking sensors that they were offering as a freebie and asked them to get it fitted. Today I went to have a look after the fitment and it looked great. As I was about to leave (I am taking delivery only next week), I just glanced at the rear wheels and was shocked to see that it had drums and not disc's. Called the sales rep and he too was not aware. He made some calls and told me that the new Verna SX no longer comes with rear Disc's from this month even though it has ABS. Though the non-disc Verna's too have sufficientlly good stopping power, this omission was a letdown for me.

I feel it was bad on the part of Hyundai to make this move. Its clear that it was a move to cut costs, but doing this on the sly without informing the market probably was not a good thing. I agree very few of the C and C+ segment cars have rear disc's but taking out this feature which was previously existing in the Verna SX was sad. It seems they have added an engine immobiliser from this month. But a disc is a disc and I will miss it.

Did any of you know about this as I have not read any posts on this? I really hope my car is not an exception.

My dealer informed me about the omission of the rear discs from Aug'09 models
Mentioned it in the thread
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/sedans...9-lakhs-6.html
Old 17th September 2009, 22:01   #4
Senior - BHPian

They sing about 'new grille' 'new bumpers' 'ALL NEW' with AMPEE3 system.
But they don't publicize the omission of ONE of the most important components of a car.
Shee! I just spat venom. I can't stand it when manufacturers (Indian ones, more so) take customers for a ride with their umpteen omissions in the name of cost cutting/brand revamp.
<pulls down Hyundai's pants and spanks them hard>
Old 17th September 2009, 22:06   #5
BHPian

Already the verna has a bad reputation in handling department.
I wonder if this omission is going to make it even worse/dangerous to drive.
Old 17th September 2009, 22:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinu2506 View Post
I am taking a new Verna CRDI SX next week and my allotted car has arrived. True to TBHP tradition, on Tuesday, I went armed with my PDI checklist to check out the car. Everything was spot on. Clean Lines, Smooth engine, Good AC, Music system etc etc. Though the non-disc Verna's too have sufficientlly good stopping power, this omission was a letdown for me.

oh dinu i really felt bad after reading this , and i i felt so angry at hyundai for doing this on the sly , the sales persons cannot feign ignorance to this downgrade.

Hyundai did it very wrong this time .
Old 17th September 2009, 22:49   #7
Senior - BHPian

How to make good cars, yet kill them?

Ask Hyundai.
Old 17th September 2009, 22:59   #8
Senior - BHPian

I ama huge HYUNDAI loyalist & fan. I have owned 6 Hyundai cars in the past and currently own 2.

BUT this time I have to hand it over to hyundai to act in such a greedy manner. Why ruin such a brilliant car by taking away the premium selling point.

I mean they could've taken away the Clima Control thing - I do not care !! But not the rear disc brakes for god's sake !

Bad Move - Already not offering airbags.

But to come think of it - I know this is a business move - Reason - There were no alloys offered previously BUT now they have offered alloys in the top model and taken away the rear disk brakes.

Most customers do not care for rear discs BUT care for alloys as it gives a better look. I agree BUT they should've kept the alloys optional.
Old 18th September 2009, 01:09   #9
BHPian

I thought the alloys were part of the fully loaded Verna SX before they made these changes to rear disk breaks.

Not sure how it will impact the sales. Got to wait and see the sales figure for next three months.
Old 18th September 2009, 07:09   #10
Senior - BHPian

Rear Discs no longer provided ? Atleast they still provided the ABS .
@pheonix , @hellstar : We dont have ABS nor rear disc in Getz CRDi, but still we wanted to have it and loved it right ?
Old 18th September 2009, 07:46   #11
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by undead View Post
@pheonix , @hellstar : We dont have ABS nor rear disc in Getz CRDi, but still we wanted to have it and loved it right ?
We'd love the getz crdi more if it had rear disc brakes
Stupid hyundai

Old 18th September 2009, 07:52   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aarman_008 View Post
I thought the alloys were part of the fully loaded Verna SX before they made these changes to rear disk breaks.

Not sure how it will impact the sales. Got to wait and see the sales figure for next three months.
You're right, they removed the disc's after the alloys were offered as standard. The omission happened just this month. It seems they have added an engine immobiliser as an extra. What a......

Anyway, I'm sure there are lot of Verna users with the drums, as the rear discs were offered earlier only with the ABS option. I have not anything bad about the braking ability, so I guess it must be fine even with the drums. Fingers crossed.
Old 18th September 2009, 08:04   #13
Senior - BHPian

Why???????
even entry level I20 Crdi has disc brakes all round
I doubt they can explain this.
Old 18th September 2009, 09:15   #14
Senior - BHPian

The real fact is that Hyundai stopped rear discs from february itself when this new 2009 verna was launched. And the dealers are telling you now?
Old 18th September 2009, 09:16   #15
BHPian

when all manufacturers are increasing the safety value of their cars-introducing airbags n abs in their older models hyundai is deleting the safety features.even the accent sold in Russia has airbags n abs.i have verna vgt and my friends abroad were shocked to know that i cant even buy it as n option with airbags when they have it standard.sorry to say but that is mean of hyundai.and that is from a hyundai fan-dont know for how much more long i am going to be one.

Most Viewed