Volkswagen Jetta 12 11.76%
Skoda laura 24 23.53%
Voters: 102. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2009, 14:28   #16
BHPian

Hi sid,

At the cost of re-iterating the obvious :

1. All the factors possibly enjoy the same weightage here but will be perceived and weighted differently by all the voters
2. It will be interesting to see the choices based on the head and those based on the heart
3. Chevy Cruze can't be judged so if you can remove it from our consideration, it'll be fair to the Cruze
4. I see that you have taken a broad range in price points( approx. on -road Bombay prices - Corolla - 12 l to Jetta 1.9 TDI Comfortline - about 18l+; also some people describe the Jetta to straddle both the upper end of the C and the entry level D ( entry level executive car) segments
5. Our choices will be subjective, possibly based on our intensive experience of the cars that we own and drive, coupled with limited experience ( at least true in my case!) of the cars that we don't own or drive.

Anyway, here goes my list, in descending order :

1. VW Jetta 1.9TDI ( overall extremely competent, rugged build, terrific torque, seamless gearshift, high speed stability & road manners, reasonable FE, understated looks, stiffness at low speeds, no impression about service levels and cost of spares as my car is new-although European cars will be more expensive than equivalent Japanese cars)
2. Honda Civic 1.8VTEC ( stylish looks, great engine, low seating at rear, not sure footed on bad surfaces at speeds, don't feel comfortable driving over long distances)
3. Toyota Corolla 1.8 VVTi ( very competent, great engine, build quality not good, don't like the looks, didn't feel stable at sustained high speeds - 150 kmph speeds for 15 mins plus on good roads)
4. Skoda Laura ( good looks, good engine, good performance, have been biased by stories about bad after sales service, have not driven so can't comment)
5. Chevy Cruze ( very loud looks, not a great admirer of American cars, will be unfair to judge a car which I haven't seen even in the metal)

Regards

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Simple: Irrespective of Diesel VS petrol debate, which sedan will you vote as "the best all rounder" in the upper C segment in:
  • looks, outside and inside
  • engine, gearbox and performance
  • ride, handling and braking
  • build quality, fit and finish
  • after sales service
  • purchase price
  • reliability and maintenance costs, both short term and long term
  • resale value
  • brand perception
The contenders:
  • VW jetta 1.6 P, 1.9 PD
  • skoda laura 1.8 TSI, 1.9/ 2.0 PD
  • Chevrolet Cruze 2.0 VCDi
  • toyota corolla 1.8 VVTi
  • Honda Civic 1.8 i-vtec
Sonata is not in the list since it competes with camry, accord, superb etc. and people wrongly compare with the lower segment cars. It is Hyundai's elantra that actually competes in this segment.

Cedia hardly sells, so again struck off.

I will pick my choice later, let the debates begin.
Old 18th September 2009, 14:31   #17
BHPian

My Vote goes to Skoda Laura anyday...
Old 18th September 2009, 14:32   #18
Senior - BHPian

My vote is for Altis and the preference list is like this:

1) Corolla Altis (The best all rounder, latest international model, experience as owner)
2) Laura (overpriced and poor A.S.S. otherwise good car)
3) Civic (low VFM plus not apt for Indian preferences due to low FE and low GC)
4) Cruze (because of parent company)
5) Jetta (I hate sedans which are made from Hatch plus much outdated)
Old 18th September 2009, 15:11   #19
BHPian

So much for the hatred against Skoda cars and it's dealers(since it's the car which breaks down) but still laura is getting the highest votes.

I guess we should wait untill cruze comes out and then see the results.
Atleast it's looks are assuring.
Old 18th September 2009, 18:12   #20
Senior - BHPian

Loved the debate and controversy created.
As far as cruze is concerned, this poll was held to gauge reaction prior to its launch and can GM leave its past optra baggage behind and make a fresh start or not.
Old 19th September 2009, 02:19   #21
BHPian

Laura, (Not considering A.S.S., reliability & maintenance, cost )
Altis
Jetta
Civic
Cruze
Old 19th September 2009, 09:08   #22
Senior - BHPian

i understand BHPians have a hatred towards skoda for their pathetic A.S.S, even i do. but i just love their cars, so my vote goes to the skoda.
Old 19th September 2009, 11:11   #23
Senior - BHPian

According to me, criteria for deciding which one is the all-rounder should also include how it scores on things like:
  1. Suitability for city driving (stop and go situations)
  2. Suitability for highway driving (cruising ability)
  3. ability to take on rough/broken roads/big road humps etc
  4. load carrying capacity (volume and weightwise)
  5. performamnce on slippery/wet conditions
  6. etc
Old 19th September 2009, 12:14   #24
Senior - BHPian

The best all rounder is obviously the Altis. Why is that even a question?
Old 19th September 2009, 12:29   #25
BHPian

I have voted for curze.I hope they will bring cruze as an good product.
Old 19th September 2009, 12:30   #26
Senior - BHPian

Best all rounder will depend on how important features are to each person. Someone may put more emphasis on looks, someone on engine, someone on suspension and someone on brand.

From the cars listed, the Cruze is not even launched so not a single member on this forum can comment on anything in that car except maybe looks. But, I am VERY interested in the car. It has the WOW factor and I would check the car out if I was buying one in this segment.

From the rest, for me:

Skoda - out due to reliablity and after sales service.
Jetta - Out due to old, outdated engines.
Altis - no WOW factor. Doesn't excite me and doesn't make want to go to the showroom to check it out. It's the Buick of India .
Civic - the best for me despite the fact that it doesn't have the best dealers, the 5K service intervals are a joke and the bottoming out is an issue that could be a deal breaker for me. (hopefully the 'new' Civic has had it's suspension worked on.)

Sad that the upper C segment is one that has no car worth buying today. Still, if I had a gun on my head and had to choose one, it would be the Honda Civic.
Old 19th September 2009, 12:48   #27
BHPian

#1 has to be Civic

1) Civic (it's a no brainer, it's the best car in this segment worldwide since launch in 2006, google it). Brilliant engine and great transmission in a modern car (cons - pricey and expensive to maintain in India).
2) Corolla (quality issues lately, terribly out dated in and out compared to others, but the peace of mind that comes with a Toyota gives it a 2nd place)
3) Jetta (hmm...ask any tow truck guy and this car would be one of his favorits)
4) Holden Cruze (don't know about its credentials, looks are great, but engine and transmission is going to be horrible, its in their genes and I own an Optra, I know.)
5) Octavia (hmm...then why not a Lada in India for 15 lakhs? you should definitely cut this off the list, what the heck?? a Skoda compact for 14-15 lakhs?????) Only in India!
Old 19th September 2009, 13:06   #28
BHPian

Poll is about Best all rounder, for this my choices are in declining order:-

1. Toyota Corolla Altis - Automatic for smoothest drive, Comfort, powerful engine with max. torque in low rpms, so great to drive in city, smoothest gearbox, low Fuel consumption, perhaps the lowest TCO, maximum reliability and Total peace of mind. No contest here as an overall package. I can say this after 6 months / 4500 kms of ownership experience.

My take on perceived down sides are average build quality - Build quality certainly not as per German standards but not flimsy either. But what good is a tank like build quality if it breaks down quite often. Cabin feels plush enough, so no issues here.

High speed stability - I have not gone over 120 so far so cant really comment. May be not so good for high speed racing but I value my and my family's life and feel that Indian road conditions are good enough for high speed driving. So I can live with this.

2. Laura Petrol - Fabulous engine, great build quality and dynamics, Very high TCO, poor back seat comfort, and perhaps the worst A.S.S. If only Skoda learns some lessons from Toyota service, this car will go places.

3. Cruze - Unknown entity so far but could prove to be a joker in the segment. Max features and knowing GM, should come at an attractive price with acceptable service standards.

4. Civic - Sitting on its high horse, Honda has lost an opportunity to upgrade this car substantially to keep up with the current competition. Past its prime, not VFM, poor for city driving, poor FE and what not. Plus points which I see are good engine and interior and trouble free ownership with very less TCO.

5 Jetta - Solidly built, nicely engineered with many good qualities. Let down by an average engine and not so great A.S.S. High TCO also. If VW removes these anomalies, this can rate above Civic.
Old 19th September 2009, 13:07   #29
BHPian

Nothing better than a german engineered car, and that too
from a German Automotive Giant VW.

My go is none other than JETTA.

Though i like GM cars as well.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks