Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th May 2010, 11:05   #61
mxx
BHPian

why is it that lot of people here equating x1 with Q5?
Q5 belongs to X3 segment.
X1 is below the X3.
Old 10th June 2010, 14:14   #62
BHPian

Based on the reviews from Australian and UK automobile reviews websites, I reckon, X1 as a lovely vehicle which probably ticks all the right boxes for an enthusiast. Various reports in media suggest INR25Lakhs price range and worth it. They have many engines (both petrol and diesel) mated to 6speed gear box and in 2wd & 4wd drive modes .

My choice would be a model named 23d while favourite that seemed be there was 20d which has reasonably good balance of power and FE. I also read that it could be brought to India 'CKD' route unlike what I have read in the earlier posts in this thread.
Will wait for the confirmed news from experts here. I am already pinning for it.

This car seems to meet the purpose of a car and a MUV/SUV and I wouldnt mind replacing my Laura and Scorpio 4wd with it.
Old 10th June 2010, 17:43   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
Being an SAV, will it be coming with the infamous run-flat tyres? I personally know people who went for Audi / Merc because they found the beemer ride quality too harsh over kerala roads.
Run-flat tyres, particularly for a semi off-roader, will be an obstacle in the way of X1. India is not yet ready for such tyres unless one does not move out of a city ever. Then why go in for an SUV? Saw the X1 at the Delhi auto show and was not very impressed by the looks. May be I didn't like the brown colour. And was it too low? Chandigarh dealer says the price could range from Rs 27 to 29 lakh. Besides, Nissan's X-trail will whip it if it is true that its prices are likely to drop sharply.

Last edited by ivar1951 : 10th June 2010 at 17:45.
Old 11th June 2010, 12:39   #64
Distinguished - BHPian

India is not yet ready???
We are talking about off-roading, so quality of roads is irrelevant.

So why blame India?
Offroader with no spare tyre is a joke on any planet - forget country...
Old 29th June 2010, 23:36   #65
BHPian

I read somewhere that Tata Motors plans to start assembling Freelander2 here in India at their Pimpri plant. If this happens, then I suspect that the Freelander2 might undercut the X1 on pricing. No good news for BMW.
Old 30th June 2010, 18:55   #66
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
We are talking about off-roading, so quality of roads is irrelevant.
Quote:
Offroader with no spare tyre is a joke on any planet - forget country...
What offroader? The X1? Hardly. Even BMW will admit that its not an offroader at all. A little bit of slush, muck and sand is all that the X1 can manage.
Old 30th June 2010, 20:56   #67
evo
BHPian

The X1 is more comparable to a Fiat Sienna Adventure in terms of its genre, a (slightly) raised estate.

However un appetizing this comparision maybe, I still love the idea of an X1!
Old 30th June 2010, 21:13   #68
BHPian

Cute little car. Guess it will appeal to women a lot more than guys. Overall, an excellent package I guess. It should make things worse for the CR-V and perhaps make life tougher for the Fortuner as well??
Old 30th June 2010, 22:06   #69
Team-BHP Support

Pricing a BMW under 30 lakhs and in the region of the CRV/Outlander in India would be sort of, politically incorrect! Although it would be fantastic to see a 'cheaper' BMW on our roads. If Audi/BMW do introduce the Q3/X1 respectively, it would bring about the birth of a whole new segment and possibly, broaden the prospect of catering to a larger crowd.

On the other hand, it might bomb badly as we all know that the BMW X3 hasn't sold very well.
Old 1st July 2010, 13:41   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjalihal View Post
Cute little car. Guess it will appeal to women a lot more than guys.
It might be little by American standards of an SUV, but here its definitely not a cute little car. You make it sound like the Fiat 500 or a Beetle.
Old 25th July 2010, 12:56   #71
BHPian

Guys ive been looking around the forums for weeks but i just cant find the pic that someone posted of an X1 in a BMW showroom in india. If anyone can point me to the thread or post the pic here i would be most grateful.

Im seriously considering the X1, has anyone sat in the backseat? Im 6.3 and found the back of both the C and the 3 series very cramped. Does the x1 have a decent amount of space in the back? Ive sat in the LR freelander at the back and the space was acceptable. Please advise?

Thanks and BR
Old 25th July 2010, 14:25   #72
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
Pricing a BMW under 30 lakhs and in the region of the CRV/Outlander in India would be sort of, politically incorrect! Although it would be fantastic to see a 'cheaper' BMW on our roads.
Why is it such a huge stretch of imagination given the current price of the entry level 320d corporate edition?
An OTR of 27-29L of the very basic model at least would hit the spot just right on the price vs volume graph.
Old 25th July 2010, 15:24   #73
Senior - BHPian

The X1 cannot be compared with the likes of Freelander or even the CRV as it is a much smaller car. The only positive is that its got a BMW badge and has decent ride and handling, that said no where near a 3 series SW.

Other than that its nothing special. It looks really cut price, devoid of any sort of detailing, not very tall, it has a cramped rear seat and very poor interior quality. The dashboard might look ok in pics, but it has terrible quality and honestly there are Korean cars with better interiors than the X1, let alone comparing it with the regular Bavarian line up. Keeping all this in mind it is really overpriced.

Buy it only if one insists on owning a BMW SUV (a jacked up station wagon rather), else a 3 series is a better bet anyday.
Old 25th July 2010, 23:25   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
Does the x1 have a decent amount of space in the back? Ive sat in the LR freelander at the back and the space was acceptable.
You should find the X1 alright. A little less in space than the Freelander.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The X1 cannot be compared with the likes of Freelander or even the CRV as it is a much smaller car.
It isn't much smaller. I would pick the X1 over the CR-V any day. The CR-V has NOTHING going for it at the inflated price tag. Atleast the Outlander, I can find a few things which make it a fantastic vehicle.

Quote:
It looks really cut price, devoid of any sort of detailing, not very tall, it has a cramped rear seat and very poor interior quality.
Really? Looks are subjective, and I found it (the interior) to be upto the task when I saw the display car a couple of months back at Infinity. I remember saying somewhere that I would have probably bought it over the CE, had we not made our decision and got delivery already.
Old 15th October 2010, 15:50   #75
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Not sure if the X1 has been officially launched in India, but here's one spotted out Navnit, Juhu by a friend.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1: Will it be BMW India's bestseller?!-bmwc1.jpg  

Closed Thread

Most Viewed