Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th October 2010, 16:24   #76
Senior - BHPian

Might look small but i liked the front look.
Any rear pics as well?
Also the color is really different and nice.
Old 16th October 2010, 09:32   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry10 View Post
Might look small but i liked the front look.
Hmm it IS small. Very very compact dimensions.IMO its much smaller than the CRV as well. It is supposed to be easy to maneuver around in heavy traffic so that speaks volumes about its size.
Old 16th October 2010, 09:56   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlatzdaTurbo View Post
Hmm it IS small. Very very compact dimensions.IMO its much smaller than the CRV as well. It is supposed to be easy to maneuver around in heavy traffic so that speaks volumes about its size.
i assume that you haven't seen the car in person?
honestly neither have i, but this picture comparo speaks volumes.
I like the 'size' of the old X3, and if the x1 is about its size then i think its perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
BMW X1: Will it be BMW India's bestseller?!-69543932_9ba92b80cf.jpg  

BMW X1: Will it be BMW India's bestseller?!-69543933_cc47665da7.jpg  

BMW X1: Will it be BMW India's bestseller?!-69543945_88639d45c9.jpg  

Old 16th October 2010, 11:23   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
i assume that you haven't seen the car in person?
honestly neither have i, but this picture comparo speaks volumes.
I like the 'size' of the old X3, and if the x1 is about its size then i think its perfect.

I have at the Auto Expo in Delhi earlier this year. Exactly my point >> The size is "perfect" in regards of being that urban SUV that can be taken almost anywhere. If you have read about the dimensions of the Skoda Yeti i would say it is bang in the same territory.

Last edited by PlatzdaTurbo : 16th October 2010 at 11:24.
Old 23rd October 2010, 08:19   #80
BHPian

If the India version of the X1 is the same as the Aussie release, i wouldn't say that it can be taken 'anywhere' it looks veryyyy much an urban softroader only to me but then again I've not driven one.
Old 24th October 2010, 19:31   #81
Senior - BHPian

Met the BMW Dealer in Ahmedabad today, for those of us wondering how well this car will sell? Guess what? They have 30 confirmed bookings already, not just that but they are no more accepting further payments until they get their allotment sometime in the end of the month and as of now the way things stand one can only get their car in April / May 2011 based on assumptions of further allotments.

Any data for other cities as well?
Old 24th October 2010, 22:15   #82
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
Met the BMW Dealer in Ahmedabad today, for those of us wondering how well this car will sell? Guess what? They have 30 confirmed bookings already, not just that but they are no more accepting further payments until they get their allotment sometime in the end of the month and as of now the way things stand one can only get their car in April / May 2011 based on assumptions of further allotments.

The 'honeymoon' period, i.e. the initial period after the launch of any car, it will sell in good numbers. Take a look at the Honda CRV for example. For a few months, it sold like as if people misread the price-tag! But now, it's barely managing double digits per month!
Old 25th October 2010, 10:40   #83
Senior - BHPian

Agreed about the honeymoon period, while it is applicable to certain cars and 'maybe' for the X1 too but in general what I feel is this car will only grow in numbers as time moves on, Also I think most cars sold by BMW in this country have only grown in numbers not only due to the brand but also fantastic products, dealers and of course the management being so active on most fronts.

Like I said it maybe an honeymoon period but based on the amount of interest this car is generating with the Ahmedabad dealer, it's safe to assume to momentum will only get better once launched.Which is why I'd like to know how's the interest for this car in other cities if anyone knows the dealers personally?

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
The 'honeymoon' period, i.e. the initial period after the launch of any car, it will sell in good numbers. Take a look at the Honda CRV for example. For a few months, it sold like as if people misread the price-tag! But now, it's barely managing double digits per month!

Last edited by S350L-E240 : 25th October 2010 at 10:42.
Old 25th October 2010, 11:04   #84
Senior - BHPian

Looks more like a wagon than an SUV. What happened to X3? Haven't seen much of those either.
Old 25th October 2010, 13:37   #85
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Agreed about the honeymoon period, while it is applicable to certain cars and 'maybe' for the X1 too but in general what I feel is this car will only grow in numbers as time moves on, Also I think most cars sold by BMW in this country have only grown in numbers not only due to the brand but also fantastic products, dealers and of course the management being so active on most fronts.

Like I said it maybe an honeymoon period but based on the amount of interest this car is generating with the Ahmedabad dealer, it's safe to assume to momentum will only get better once launched.

The sales might pick up for all we know and it might begin to sell better in time. After all, BMW is recognized as a big and a premium brand in India and just like how the early Laura gained momentum in terms of sales much later, the X1 might start to roll out of the showrooms much later.
Old 31st October 2010, 20:28   #86
BHPian

Given the brand value of BMW, this car should sell well. really well. It might get customers from the accord/superb to fortuner/santa fe/crv to even the segment above like 3series/c class/a4. Even though many of these cars might be better in almost every which way! The fulfilling of "buying a BMW" dream might make people think beyond practicality (considering some of much more practical cars mentioned above) but for a person going for a 3 series, this might be more practical with some extra space and high seating position.

I personally think the volvo S60 launching next year with 300 bhp petrol motor and fully loaded at around same price would be better option.
Old 1st November 2010, 07:33   #87
BHPian

I have a feeling if anything, this is going to make serious money for BMW. Forget about the car as such, the logo is the most important thing for customers buying the X1. If this takes off, Mercedes are in real trouble.
Old 1st November 2010, 10:55   #88
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by magikrider View Post

I personally think the volvo S60 launching next year with 300 bhp petrol motor and fully loaded at around same price would be better option.
The Volvo S60 is a proper sedan and not like the X1 which sits on stilts. Besides, I doubt if the '300 bhp petrol motor' would sell as well as a diesel. Think about it! Next time you catch a Mercedes or a BMW on the road, try and get a glimpse of the variant. It will invariably be a diesel! At least, most of them would be oil-burners.

The S80 should fall under the '3 Series - C Class - A4' price bracket. Which means that it will be more expensive than the X1.

And, Volvo will not be able to match the sheer snob-value that BMW enjoys in our market. Unless Volvo start assembling SKDs in India, I don't see them going anywhere. CBUs will not trouble BMW, Mercedes and Audi.
Old 1st November 2010, 11:44   #89
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
They have 30 confirmed bookings already.

I believe Infinity Mumbai has close to 150 bookings already. They are claiming delivery as April for bookings made now.
Navnit should have around the same number or bookings if not more.
Old 1st November 2010, 13:18   #90
Senior - BHPian

Sahil, 150 Units booked? Gulp, thats some serious sale for a car which most still have no clue about infact I was at the dealership few minutes back for some paperwork and they had a client who was trying to book the X1, and the sales manager was having a tough time telling him that please do not expect it to be an SUV in the size of a Fortuner or even the CR-V.

I personally think considering the 3 is now in it's last year the X1 makes a lot more sense until the new 3 comes out in the winter of 2011, and considering how quick BMW got the F10 to India, I am pretty sure they will launch the 3 too at a fast pace to begin the next set of benchmark numbers in terms of sales.

X1 I believe once launched and if BMW can manufacture enough cars will easily help BMW cross the figure of 7500+ units overall in the year 2011, or maybe a lot more... and the best part is it will be atleast another 24 months until they have a real rival coming as Mercedes-Benz BLK (Rumoured name) should arrive then, but by then just like the X3, the X1 will have made it's mark in the minds and hearts of quite a few motorists.

People from other cities if possible do update pre-sales data if available?

Regards,
Closed Thread

Most Viewed