Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2010, 12:06   #31
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

the badge value alone will drive sales if it is priced at 25-27 lacs.
while it may be smaller than a CRV etc and more like a large raised station wagon, it is still a good thing to get a piece of BMW at a more affordable price!
the same way that the Executive edition of the 320 highline is supposed to be available around the Rs 30 lac mark. - this in itself will woo away potential buyers from considering many other cars which are currently priced around that level.
Old 1st February 2010, 12:54   #32
Senior - BHPian

X1 is not CBU, it's CKD.

someone in one of the earliest posts mentioned CBU. But has now edited it.
Old 1st February 2010, 15:16   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
Why will anyone buy the x1 ? look at the proportions, its even smaller compared to the CRV.

Just because its got a BMW badge doesn't mean people will lap it up, IMHO this is a completely pointless car.

cheers,
ac
Why not? If it cost less than 3, C and A4 and it has more space inside that any of those, why not anyone will buy it. If feel most of 3, C and A4 buyers are young, either early achievers or from affluent families. A young heart will always yearn for a SUV type of vehicle and X1 absolutely provides it for them. Economy with badge is added bonus here. As someone said it might also cannibalize some sales from 3, but it might just get that much more from C and A4, which doesn't have alternative in their badge.
Old 1st February 2010, 15:33   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by entropy View Post
X1 at 25-27 Lakhs would be quite good a proposition.

1. Compact size - good for regular city use also.
2. Diesel - economical
3. Badge - Need not say any more
4. Performance - the best you would get in this segment.
5. SUV/SAV (whatever) - high GC ensures you don't have to worry much about the road conditions we have.

In all it would be quite a practical buy for folks wanting a combination of luxury, performance, handling and practicality for everyday usage. The euro-build and the badge you get as bonus. As a package it is quite tempting if 25-27 L band is met.
+1 My thoughts exactly. To those people who complain about the looks, its an SUV, its better off without the cute looks. And as for sales, Indians have bigger priority than looks when it comes to buying decisions, take the case of Xylo as an example, there are even people who claim they love its looks!

If X1 does come with similar drivability/performance as that of 3 series, it sure would do good sales. Not so sure of the pricing, 25-27 L is too sweet a deal. I would any day ditch the overpriced Toyota and Honda for an X1 if I have the moolah!
Old 9th February 2010, 10:15   #35
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Looks are fine,

Price will be the lowest among all BMW - 25L +- is a real possibility due to CKD.

It is not a true SUV, but if you like me find the Luxury seadans like the 3 Series etc to be too sissy vs an SUV. Then this is the vehicle for you, the drive is epxected to be typical BMW with the added height, it should drive better than the CRV, but it will remain just like the car a 5 seater with better visibility (between the SX4 and CRV) and a larger overall boot.
Old 9th February 2010, 21:08   #36
Senior - BHPian

BMW India have claimed the X1 is going to be the "lowest" priced BMW in India to date, which makes it cheaper than the 320i. So yes quite surely it should be below 28 lakhs.
Old 9th February 2010, 21:21   #37
Team-BHP Support

I think the proposition so far sounds absolutely fantastic. Takes away the downside of being in a cramped vehicle compared to the entry german sedans. More boot space, not too big to completely lose sedan like handling.

If I am shopping in that price point when the time comes to upgrade my existing ride, I would definitely give it a very serious thought.
Old 9th February 2010, 21:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
It will never be priced in the 20-25 lakh bracket!
Imagine the XI cheaper than the CR-V.Never!
The best we can hope for is 3 series equivalent pricing.
IN EUROPE X1 IS COMPARED WITH SKODA YETI.
Old 9th February 2010, 23:29   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montoo View Post
Not only the Yeti but also the VW Tiguan,but the X1 is obviously more expensive than the two.And rest assured it will be the same way in India too.But as though weird it may sound,it will still do better than the Tiguan,if its launched here anytime.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:36   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by montoo View Post

Surprise Surprise !!! Some initial reports state that inspite of the price difference the Skoda Yeti WILL be compared with the X1 in certain aspects if not all. Might go somewhat this way >> X1 vs CRV vs Captiva vs Fortuner vs Outlander vs Q5 vs Yeti ..... in India afcourse....inspite of the segment difference between these vehicles. ( this is what i read back in January in some article giving info about the Auto Expo held then )
Old 26th February 2010, 23:31   #41
BHPian

Just got back from the preview of the X1 and 5 series GT at the BMW Chennai dealership.

Must say, am really impressed with the X1; it is built on the 3 series platform and has just about the right size and equipment.

Will be launched around Aug/ Sep, starting at 28 lacs approx.

Also, spent a good 15 mins with Mr. Peter Kronschnabl; really smart man and there's no way BMW is going to let Mercedes/ Audi dethrone them from their No.1 spot.
Old 27th February 2010, 02:50   #42
BHPian

Why has someone not mentioned the outlander here?
IMO thats the best value for money in this particular segment.
It had not carved out a particularly successful story here, but that car has extreme potential. If a car like that does not sell well here, when even the pricing was perfect, I really do not expect the X1 to do well either. Just my 2 cents.
Old 27th February 2010, 03:50   #43
BHPian

I see no reason why it wouldn`t get the no.1 spot and also push other suv manufacturers to cut prices which should have happened long time back.
Old 13th May 2010, 23:58   #44
Senior - BHPian

Just saw it at the Infinity showroom. I love the looks, and like the interiors too. I think it's basically a 3-series SUV, and the pricing is similar to the 320d Highline. A very good buy, I'd say.
Old 14th May 2010, 01:28   #45
BHPian

sweettt..!!!! If it is priced well, it is gonna be a hit in India. 25 Lakhs is still acceptable for a small engined vehicle like that. 1.8 Liter engine is pretty puny for an SUV but the BMW tag is going to do rest of the talking.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed