Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2010, 02:30   #46
BANNED

on road prices ive got are 33 laks in bombay limits. there goes the cheapest car lol. so this car is for 15 laks in other countries. honda are you hearing this
Old 14th May 2010, 02:32   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyqed View Post
sweettt..!!!! If it is priced well, it is gonna be a hit in India. 25 Lakhs is still acceptable for a small engined vehicle like that. 1.8 Liter engine is pretty puny for an SUV but the BMW tag is going to do rest of the talking.
Eh? The 320d is 31 lac ex-showroom Mumbai, around 37 lac OTR. Nowhere close to the 25L figure. And it's got the same 2.0 diesel from the 320d / 520d. No electronic shifter. Other features similar to the 320d Highline (iDrive and other equipment). ALso, a few extra buttons usually reserved for the X-series, like Hill Descent Control etc. I think.
Old 14th May 2010, 10:41   #48
Senior - BHPian

oh, so is the X1 already in showrooms? When is the official launch?

btw, a couple of days back, Jeremy Clarkson reviewed the BMW X1.
His verdict: The X1 isn't just bad, it's 'rubbish'!

Read this: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/dri...cle7105825.ece
Old 14th May 2010, 15:37   #49
BHPian

If priced around 24 lacs it sure would be a hit
Old 14th May 2010, 21:33   #50
Senior - BHPian

Doesn't anyone read the previous posts before asking?
Old 14th May 2010, 22:39   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theragingbull View Post
btw, a couple of days back, Jeremy Clarkson reviewed the BMW X1.His his verdict: The X1 isn't just bad, it's 'rubbish'!
Who cares what Jeremy Clarkson says in India? Its a Beemer and if priced correctly this car will fly off showrooms. But BMW is planning to launch it as a CBU,so its expected to be priced north of 30 lakhs INR. Anything less,and I've got a feeling this xDrive20d's gonna cannibalize sales of the 320d CE. But I really hope that I'm wrong though,because the 320d is better any given day.The X1's just a silly poser.Neither here nor there.

Last edited by AyAn! : 14th May 2010 at 22:41.
Old 15th May 2010, 04:38   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyAn! View Post
Who cares what Jeremy Clarkson says in India? Its a Beemer and if priced correctly this car will fly off showrooms. But BMW is planning to launch it as a CBU,so its expected to be priced north of 30 lakhs INR. Anything less,and I've got a feeling this xDrive20d's gonna cannibalize sales of the 320d CE. But I really hope that I'm wrong though,because the 320d is better any given day.The X1's just a silly poser.Neither here nor there.
Yes and no.One major issue for me with the 320d was that i simply couldnt get into the back seat [im 6'3]....not even squeeze in.
Because of the body type of the x1, i imagine that you get a lot more room to work with. Secondly, the higher ride height will make life a lot less harsh on our pothole ridden roads.

I love clarkson to bits, and have watched EVERY episode of TG over the last 6+seasons but his reviews are...to be honest....more entertainment than anything else.

SUVs[/SAVs] definitely command a higher 'premium' in india and people will pay good $$$ for them...espelcially for something with the BMW badge upfront.
Its just the way we are wired as Indians. Very similar to how sedans are considered to be more premium to hatches and why no one will touch a station-wagon here.

Correct me if i am wrong but wouldnt the X1 be a ckd and not a cbu as you mentioned?
Old 15th May 2010, 07:38   #53
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
Secondly, the higher ride height will make life a lot less harsh on our pothole ridden roads.
Being an SAV, will it be coming with the infamous run-flat tyres? I personally know people who went for Audi / Merc because they found the beemer ride quality too harsh over kerala roads.
Old 15th May 2010, 08:38   #54
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
...because the 320d is better any given day.The X1's just a silly poser.Neither here nor there.
It's a good sensible buy though. To the extent that it makes me wonder if we would have gone for it instead of the CE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegman View Post
Yes and no.One major issue for me with the 320d was that i simply couldnt get into the back seat [im 6'3]....not even squeeze in.
Somehow, at 6' 1", I can manage. Although I hardly ever have to sit in the back

Quote:
Because of the body type of the x1, i imagine that you get a lot more room to work with.
Naah. Interior space just about the same as 320d, maybe more headroom and a little more legroom.

Quote:
Secondly, the higher ride height will make life a lot less harsh on our pothole ridden roads.
Main advantage over the low-slung 320d. RFT's will still spoil things though.
Old 15th May 2010, 12:22   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspur View Post
It's a good sensible buy though. To the extent that it makes me wonder if we would have gone for it instead of the CE.
If you prefer the back seat,then yes,its more sensible buy than the 320d.But only just because it has a higher GC and more room inside,although how much of it is usable I still have my doubts! Maybe it can swallow some extra luggage,that's it! And don't even think of taking it off the road!

On the other hand,if you prefer to be at the wheel,the 3 is more fun to drive and stays honest to what it claims to be:a sporty,compact sedan. Regarding the X1, I don't quite like its crossover idea. Its totally confused. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just because it has a kidney grille with a blue oval atop!
Old 15th May 2010, 13:52   #56
BHPian

if X1 looks like a crossover like forester, rather than a urban suv like crv or captiva (just looks), it actually may not find many takers.

however if it fits in the bill of a urban suv, looks and performance wise ....it may carve a whole new niche for itself and get BMW new customers who are looking at Montero and Prado till Pajero and CRV and likes.
Old 15th May 2010, 14:24   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you prefer the back seat,then yes,its more sensible buy than the 320d.But only just because it has a higher GC and more room inside,although how much of it is usable I still have my doubts! Maybe it can swallow some extra luggage,that's it! And don't even think of taking it off the road!
Of course not. No offroading and any such pretence. It's only from Dad's perspective that I'm wondering about the X1 because he complains about the CE being low, and doesn't quite like the seating position although he's comfortable. So from his point of view, the high GC or rather the high stance and seating, and a little more space makes all the difference

Me? Our CE any day !! It's only just run in and is really starting to fly by itself these days...hah. Too much fun.

Quote:
Its totally confused. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone just because it has a kidney grille with a blue oval atop!
Top notch interior quality, Highline equipment levels + some stuff unique to the X-range, and the badge. Good package IMO.
Old 15th May 2010, 16:59   #58
mxx
BHPian

Quote:
The X1's just a silly poser.Neither here nor there.
Not, true. might not be for everyone. But it has its advantages.
If I were to choose, I wud choose x1 over the 3 because I travel a lot. And there are a lot of places were a sedan wud be too limited. Yet I dont go off-roading, so I dont need a big suv. X1 is the best way to get that sporty car like feel of bmw on good roads, while being practical were roads are pathetic. If purely for city use, I wud prefer the 3.
Old 15th May 2010, 19:38   #59
Senior - BHPian

In india big cars always come at a premium,so even if the X1 was was not good on road,and no good off road it will still fly of the shelves cause its a big beemer at a small price.
Also with audi going for local assembly of the Q5,i am sure BMW will be looking at local assembly of the X1 also.
Old 15th May 2010, 21:00   #60
Senior - BHPian

X1 and Q5 do not really compete in the same segment. Also coming back to X1, I genuinely think when people see it in person they will realize it is quite a beautiful car but I found the interior plastics a little below par and so do a lot other people but otherwise if priced well this could be a nice alternative to the 3.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks