Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 15th July 2005, 08:31   #1
Senior - BHPian

Ford Ikon Shoulder room

Yesterday i happened to visit a Ford dealership with my friend who was planning to buy Fusion.
Since the Fusion test drive vehicle was not available we thought why not test drive Ikon 1.6 meanwhile..

I can tell you i am only slightly built, but when i sat in the driver seat it was like :WTF: .. i mean where is the shoulder room.. it was even more cramped than my 800! Lol.. Wagonr and Santro are way ahead in this area..

It only felt bigger when i sat at the rear.. the legroom is impressive .. but the driver's seat is toooooo cramped.. ofcourse the brighter side was the Engine and gearbox.. above 2500 rpm the car was almost flying..

any Ikon owners here..?.. Just wanted to know does the shoulder room cause any concerns..?..
Old 15th July 2005, 11:06   #2
BHPian

M800 vs Ikon???

[quote=dceite]..

I can tell you i am only slightly built, but when i sat in the driver seat it was like :WTF: .. i mean where is the shoulder room.. it was even more cramped than my 800! Lol.. Wagonr and Santro are way ahead in this area..

QUOTE]

Seriously, were you sober at that time???
Old 15th July 2005, 11:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan
Natty

I dont think that was very charitable. Everyone's entitled to their views, and he was asking for confirmation, for god sake.
Old 15th July 2005, 11:30   #4
Senior - BHPian

I've felt the same way, about the width. Seems kinda cramped. Nothing to beat apna pyaara Baleno.
Old 15th July 2005, 11:49   #5
Senior - BHPian

Absolutely my feeling too .. though 1'm 6'1" .. In the few occassions I have driven one, I have had difficulty in shifting to 5th. The gear shift invariably fouls with my knee which anyways is always resting on the centre console

To add to the poor leg space, one feels that the door/window is leaning on you ..
Old 15th July 2005, 12:04   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v_s_natarajan
Natrajan, sorry if I hurt your sentiments..

But i was comparing the driver shoulder room.. and not the Car itself..
Please dont take it to your heart... i was just surprised that a 6+lac car has such pathetic shoulder room.. nothing personal against Ikon owners like you..
Old 15th July 2005, 15:15   #7
BHPian

!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Natty

I dont think that was very charitable. Everyone's entitled to their views, and he was asking for confirmation, for god sake.
Hey, Hi.
It was not intended to hurt him.
only in a lighter vein.
Old 15th July 2005, 15:18   #8
BHPian

I am sorry i was rude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dceite
Natrajan, sorry if I hurt your sentiments..

But i was comparing the driver shoulder room.. and not the Car itself..
Please dont take it to your heart... i was just surprised that a 6+lac car has such pathetic shoulder room.. nothing personal against Ikon owners like you..
hi.
I am sorry i was rude.
Infact i do not have an Ikon.
I have driven long drives with it.
I thought except for its por brakes, it was fun and a driver's car.
Poor build quality though.
sorry again
Old 15th July 2005, 22:20   #9
BHPian

Hi Dceite....I own a Ford Ikon. Frankly I'm not that heavily built and hence find the Ikon's shoulder room pretty decent. Defenitely more that what you have compared (M800 & Santro). One of our members Ford Rocam (who also owns an Ikon) is heavily built (I hope Rocam takes this sportingly ) and I'm sure he would respond back more appropriately to this, but I've sat with him in my car and didn't feel there was any lack of shoulder room. Infact here's a pic of both of us together in my Ikon

Hope this helps!!!
Old 16th July 2005, 10:55   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
the swift has more shoulder room than the ikon here right ?

Quote:
but the driver's seat is toooooo cramped
what are you saying dude ? are you serious ?? the drivers seat in the ikon is one of the best around !!
Old 16th July 2005, 22:58   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Wierd,
Have sat in an we have owned quite a few Ikons.
Never ever felt there too be a shoulder problem.
And i love the positioniong of the gear box and everything except the P/W buttons.
Old 17th July 2005, 08:55   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by normally_crazy
the swift has more shoulder room than the ikon here right ?
what are you saying dude ? are you serious ?? the drivers seat in the ikon is one of the best around !!
hmm.. maybe the Swift HAS more shoulder room... (atleast the driver's right side)

See i repeat that though i am not huge, but i am tall (5,11).. and having lived with Wagonr and Santro for years i do have a feeling that the distance between the right door/shoulder support and the right hand is lesser in Ikon.. (ofcourse why i am saying this that it is a 6+lac car..)..
But yeah.. different people have different opinions, i have seen a many ppl complaining, and many are just happy with it... so i guess we must respect everybody's opnions...
peace.

Most Viewed