Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 01:14   #136
BHPian

The car design looks dated, i don't understand why companies insist of dumping this stuff in the Indian market, e.g. the logan (the car is actually more than a decade old).....

but they bring it to India as if it is a fresh new design, and it even sells, I strongly think the Indian consumer needs demand quality rather than settling for what is being made available. Ask for fresh and new models rather than being forced to buy old discontinued models from the European market.

If the Figo was actually designed for the Indian market a fresh, it is not a very good attempt, there are so many things that could have been done to make it better if it is a fresh design, why not make a good and interesting design rather than the boring and dated body lines and sections.
In short why the same old thing???

These are my personal views as a designer and I don't want or mean ill to anyone elses views or the company it self.
Design is very fluid and personal....

cheers
Old 25th September 2009, 05:00   #137
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shubhodeepdas@g View Post
The Ford powerplants deliver FE in a very driver oriented manner.

Have been driving a Fusion 1.6 for 4 years now, and it gives a standard 12 without AC in city, and 18 on the highway. Dips to 10 with AC and 16 on highway. But the same vehicle when driven hard can drop the FE to 12 on the highway. For its size, power, space and weight, IMO it's as economical as any other Maruti 800 CC. Cant really expect a 1.2 ton petrol hatch/car to do more, specially when it can burn rubber when needed.
OT: i have driven a 1.3Rocam Ikon for quite some time and i agree to the above statement.

Another thing i would like to point out is Ford cars in india have class best Handling and steering, Though figo is not aimed at enthusiasts but it shares the underpinings with the fiesta and fusion.
Old 25th September 2009, 09:17   #138
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRf1 View Post
It is not very exciting though looks are contemporary and stylish but it just dosent make you go like Wow , I need one . As always the TDCI Diet Diesel will win the most customers . A measly 1.2 petrol ? Give us some josh with a 1.6 version !
Ford is offering the 1.2 due to the benefit it will receive from the Govt. You know the 1200cc rule. This will help to price the car competitively. This was told to me by John Parker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2theMax View Post
Neat lines and sure going to give the Punto's and Polo's a run if they get the price band right.Why the secrecy with interiors ? Is ford still in the process of procuring Ch=CHEAP plastics for us ?

Was the dispaly a RHD or LHD ? any sneaks ?
No sneak peeks. Glasses black tinted on the display cars.

Last edited by Dippy : 25th September 2009 at 10:39.
Old 25th September 2009, 09:20   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladak.imran View Post

However, in terms of 'character,' Fusion kicks ***.
Just my opinion..
Sadly i dont see many on the road.
Old 25th September 2009, 11:21   #140
Senior - BHPian

I was told by a Ford dealer that the base price of the Figo starts at RS3.5lac approximately. At this price, Ford will find buyers and i think the Figo looks much better than, for e.g., the Ritz which looks like after the 'axe-man' had his way with it. When a two decade old Maruti Alto can be sold as latest technology for almost RS3lacs , i don't understand the indignation when Ford introduces a slightly older (less than 5 years) more spacious and powerful model for this market at a marginal price increase?. The only mistake Ford made was to ignore the A.S.S which i hope they will rectify.

Last edited by nickatnite : 25th September 2009 at 11:38.
Old 25th September 2009, 11:34   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
The only mistake Ford made was to ignore the A.S.S which i hope they will rectify.
There is a massive exercise undeway by Ford to streamline their A.S.S as well as to ramp up the number of dealers. In the short team, I was told that they are appointing nearly 60 new dealers and eventually may go upto 200 new dealers. Otherwise they will just not be able to handle FIGO sales and service.
Old 25th September 2009, 11:35   #142
BHPian

Loved the looks, looks like the car which is going to rake in the numbers for FORD

Last edited by athalaga : 25th September 2009 at 11:36.
Old 25th September 2009, 12:16   #143
BHPian

The Figo video, very catchy.
Old 25th September 2009, 12:47   #144
Senior - BHPian

chennai-indian, how many new dealers will be appointed in Chennai? I hope it's someone other than MPL.
Old 25th September 2009, 16:49   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Another thing i would like to point out is Ford cars in india have class best Handling and steering -

Ikon's braking is questionable. My Cousin's Ikon dragged and hit a Lorry at just a speed of 70 kmph.

And when I visited the Garage to check the Vehicle, I found almost all other Ikon's having a frontal impact. And when I enquired with one of the Engineers, he admitted that Ikon's braking is poor. High time Ikon gets ABS.

But the same (braking problem) will not apply for Fiesta, as we own one and experienced it.

Last edited by aah78 : 25th September 2009 at 23:42. Reason: Quote fixed.
Old 25th September 2009, 22:03   #146
Senior - BHPian

The designers have done a good job of hiding the old lines of the last gen Fiesta by adding curves here and there.But the profile and window line obviously still look dated.
Old 25th September 2009, 22:15   #147
BHPian

Ford has invested $500 million for coming out with this!
It might look all good and nice....but please this is infact the previous generation Ford Fiesta Hatchback with some facelifting!.

Ford still thinks that the Indian consumers are fools and they can sell any old to us. Hats off to Hyundai for providing with the latest cars.

Here is the old generation ford fiesta whose production has been stopped everywhere else to make way for the new generation.

Whats even more stupid is that they could have saved the money on all the facelifting ($500 million crap) by just selling the latest ford fiesta hatchback which to be honest is the best looking hatchback at the moment and is selling like hot cakes in Europe!.

If only Ford could think like Hyundai!
Old 25th September 2009, 22:54   #148
BHPian

Not a stunning design - but definitely a good one...Nowadays, auto gurus are not coming up with killer look design cars, rather they are trying to put their work in offering a good package..

hope Ford offers a good package overall...
Old 25th September 2009, 23:22   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Ikon's braking is questionable. My Cousin's Ikon dragged and hit a Lorry at just a speed of 70 kmph.

The brakes locked up, I suppose? I don't know how much of the accident can be attributed to brakes. This was fairly common in the days we did not have ABS. Perhaps better tires might have helped.

I have driven the 1.6 Ikon and really liked the way I could throw the car around in traffic.
Old 26th September 2009, 01:16   #150
Distinguished - BHPian

The car definitely looks good. And a mouth watering price mentioned in one of the posts! Lets wait and watch complete specs and pricing once it launches.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed