Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:56   #46
Senior - BHPian

Coming to size, it looks like a Fusion that got shrunk in a carwash. But still it may tilt the sales charts in its favour because Ford till date in India was only a middle segment player. Still in India the blue Ford logo to certain extent and the mini SUV (SUV lookalikes have dream fan following here) look could definitely make Figo a moderately successful story provided it sports an aggressive price tag.
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:01   #47
BHPian

The new one is called Ford Figo - MOD's Please change the Name of this thread.

Last edited by Jaggu : 23rd September 2009 at 15:29. Reason: Please use Report post to get in touch with Mod team. Thanks
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:23   #48
Senior - BHPian

Ford really knows how to make some mean muscular looking cars ! I LOVE the Figo !
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:23   #49
Senior - BHPian

From the press release:
- Today’s press conference in Delhi was the first public preview of the exterior design of the new Ford Figo. Ford is reserving further details about the vehicle until closer to its production launch early in 2010.
- Design-conscious Italy inspired the new Ford Figo’s name. Figo is colloquial Italian for “cool.”
- Ford Figo models will be produced at the plant (in India) for export to international markets. The plant is also being groomed to produce diesel and petrol engines for local vehicle production and export within Ford’s Asia Pacific and Africa region.

Hi-res pics here: Ford Image Search Results GRID (clicking on the link will not work, one will have to copy the link and paste it on the address bar).
A sketch of the interior from the official website (Ford Image Search Results GRID)
Attached Thumbnails
Report and First Pics: The Ford Figo is HERE !! More info - Pg19-fordfigo_07a.jpg  

Last edited by ashutoshb : 23rd September 2009 at 15:28.
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:23   #50
BHPian

Looks are good. Will it have the same TDCi engine which makes 64BHP? I wish it won't touch the base in every other bump like Fiesta..
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:46   #51
Senior - BHPian

What ACI says:

- The Figo is actually a re-skinned version of the previous-generation European Fiesta hatch (Code:B256) on which the Indian Fiesta saloon (Code: B376) is also based.

- The Figo will get a completely fresh interior package which means a brand new instrument panel, seats and trim. According to Ford insiders, the interiors are expected to set new standards for small hatchbacks combining class-leading aesthetics and functionality. Built on the same 2486mm wheelbase as the Indian Fiesta and Ikon, the Figo is expected to have a similar amount of passenger space as its saloon siblings.

- The Figo will initially be launched with two engine options — a petrol and a diesel.

- The 1.4 Duratorq 68bhp motor that powers the Ikon and Fiesta saloons.
The Figo also gets a new all-aluminium 1.2-litre petrol motor which is essentially a scaled-down version of the 1.4/1.6 Sigma petrol engines that power the Fiesta saloon. Belonging to the same engine family, it shares common architecture like double overhead cams, four valves per cylinder an aluminium block and is expected to develop max power between 70 and 75bhp.

- Prices will only be announced next year before the car goes on sale in March 2010.

- Ford has targeted the base Hyundai i10 (earlier it was the Santro) as its price benchmark for the 1.2 petrol Figo which equates to Rs 3.6 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).

- The 1.4 diesel Figo is aimed at the Indica Vista diesel and can be expected to retail at around Rs 4.6 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi).

Source: :: AUTOCAR INDIA - CAR AND BIKE MAGAZINE ::

One more pic from the launch:
Attached Thumbnails
Report and First Pics: The Ford Figo is HERE !! More info - Pg19-figo3.jpg  

Old 23rd September 2009, 15:51   #52
Senior - BHPian

Very nice looks & the rear is more rounded than the Fusion. Good going Ford, what about the pricing?

Last edited by suman : 23rd September 2009 at 15:52.
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:54   #53
BHPian

It's the same Fiesta without a boot and with some cosmetic Changes. Even the Diesel engine will also be borrowed from Fiesta. But the Petrol version will be below 1.2 litre to qualify for the benifit of Excise duty reduction.

Pricing will be a Focal point now. The Car looks modest. So if they can price it equal to Diesel Vista, then it should do well.

I hope it doesn't go like the FUSION with its over pricing.....

Last edited by jaaz : 23rd September 2009 at 16:00.
Old 23rd September 2009, 15:58   #54
BHPian

Man this is a great hatch - by the looks of it. Surely my next car if priced in the right category. Great going FORD...
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:02   #55
BHPian

Thanks Ashutoshb for that ACI article. 1.4Tdci at Indica Vista price point is very very aggressive pricing. This will easily be the best diesel hatchback. I hope the top end comes with ABS, Airbags and few gizmos to compete with Punto top end and I20.

Fiesta Diesel will now need a upgrade to 1.6 or 1.8Tdci, else it might hurt Fiesta D sales which sells at 8lakhs OTR. I dont know how will they maintain Fiesta numbers. This will also force Fiat to come out with 1.6MJD Linea pretty soon.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:04   #56
BHPian

actually the car doesnt look that bad. IMO the rear of the car could have been better.if they are launching this car during march expect the new fiesta before that which will be powered by a 1.6 tdci engine.

Last edited by brakehorsepower : 23rd September 2009 at 16:06.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:07   #57
Senior - BHPian

Great going Ford. Nice to see they have been working overtime to get some exciting new cars. I thing the name Figo might have been derived by the GO FIDA campaign
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:26   #58
BHPian

For me the excitement is not about a specific model but more in terms of increasing options available to small car buyers. Punto, i20 and the forthcoming Polo, Figo et al should forever move the small car market in a positive direction. Maybe Maruti will continue to rule in the 2.5 to 4L range, but beyond that is where all the action would lie. Future looks very promising
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:46   #59
BHPian

Fiesta MK5 it is. With some plastic surgery. It sure is dated, but a tried and tested product.

Ford should have done this years back when they launched the Fusion, would have made sense only if they manufactured it here, which they are thankfully doing now.

This car is clearly not pitted against the likes of i20 and Punto, its just a fraction below them and a fraction above the i10 gang. If the prices are to be believed, I am getting one. And going by Ford's reputation of creating "Driver's cars" and the popularity of the outgoing Fiesta hatch in Europe, this one would be a keeper.

Those who are wondering about the similarities to Fusion, well they are all based on the Basic Fiesta model, and they all look similar. This one would be a bit narrower, a lot shorter in length and a bit shorter in height when compared to the Fusion. It will definitely be a lot lighter as well, and the 1.4 diesel TDCi would make a lot of sense in it.

And the green sure does look hot.
Old 23rd September 2009, 16:52   #60
BHPian

Are we getting this 1.25L engine here? Its got great reviews here - 5stars for performance - Ford Fiesta 1.25 (2009) CAR review | Road Testing Reviews | Car Magazine Online Would be awesome if Ford gives us the same engine.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed