Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:52   #76
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
My sources say that it "may" come with ABS and airbags on the top end versions. Hope that is true.
It absolutely has to, if it has to have any respect in the Indian buyer's mind. No matter if he buys the base version with hardly any trim on :P

Just like many consider the Hyundai i20 a very safe car coz of the 6 airbags and 5 star NCAP rating. No matter if they buy a base version without ABS or even fog lamps or a rear wiper!
Old 23rd September 2009, 20:02   #77
BHPian

Ford is in the zone now, I think the neat and modest looks coupled with a insider report of the interiors being a class apart has brought this into my radar.
Ford is also increasing its capacity for this, which means they are serious on this and that is also a good news for us enthusiasts.
I am excited and waiting.
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:36   #78
Senior - BHPian

This is old generation Fiesta, generation 5. Bad from Ford. Even mercedes could not get much success and had to come up with new E as in international market. This is way too bad from Ford's side.

The car itself scores 4/5 in ENCAP which is below I20 and Punto. The motors are not exciting at all. What we need is new Fiesta sedan, Focus sedan and they can put the mazda 2 with a ford badge, price it just lower than new Fiesta.
This is not as good as I thought. IMHO, we are again taken for granted. Ford came out with Sixth gen fiesta in 2008, they could have brought this to India.
Old 24th September 2009, 00:01   #79
Distinguished - BHPian

@aaggoswami:
This is actually the international Fiesta MK6 hatch with a facelift and interior overhaul.
I think for this price, it is quite a good deal, specially since they are not going to be competing with the i20 and Punto.
What is the NCAP rating for i10, A-Star, Estilo, Vista? Those are the main competitors.
Also, the new fiesta sedan is expected in 2011, with the new Endeavour in 2012, and a new Fiesta (current version upgrade) in 2013.

For the price of the i10, this car offers more space, good engines, new interiors, good safety standards, and I am sure will be a goof drivers car in its segment. The only thing dated about this car are the looks, and Ford has done a good job making sure it still looks good. The all new Fiesta hatch, if launched in India would surely be in the Fusions price range and we all know how well the Fusion did (and it was futuristic at the time of launch).
I think Ford should first concentrate on this small car, get a good base and good perceptions from people, and only then will its more expensive models work. This small car is an excellent way of starting that process.
Old 24th September 2009, 00:10   #80
Senior - BHPian

I beleive the Figo is to compete in the i10, MSIL segment where its only the i10 which has a 4-star EuroNCAP rating. The rest might ask what EuroNCAP is all about!

Its quite funny when you actually ask Ford to do a Merc in India

Ford is targeting bigger volumes unlike the Mercedes in India and this car would practically appeal to the masses given the proven 1.4TDCi which would find its place in the Figo and the 3.5 - 4.8 Lakhs pricing expected! Its quite a good move by Ford IMHO...
Old 24th September 2009, 00:44   #81
Team-BHP Support

If one looks at the grill at the bottom covering the radiator I think it looks el-cheapo. Almost like a wire-grill. They should have done it better. Such big gaping holes in the grill may also be dangerous for the radiator if a largish stone kicks up and manages to shoot through one of those holes and hits the radiator.

Somehow, to me the rear still looks acceptable. It's the front that I do not care much for.
Old 24th September 2009, 01:10   #82
H2O
BHPian

If this car is right priced, it should do well in the price conscious indian market.
Old 24th September 2009, 01:21   #83
BHPian

Alan Mullaly CEO, launches Ford Figo at Chennai Trade Center today.He is at India since monday. He had a meeting with the regional dealers in New Delhi. After the launch he is visting the plant at Chennai for the first time.

<
Old 24th September 2009, 01:25   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

It is a Mk6 which is the Indian Fiesta. Mk5 is the Ikon/Flair. Mk7 is currently selling in Europe.
Wikipedia says otherwise, Figo is MK5 Fiesta, with minor updates on the front/bonnet.
Fiesta is based on MK5 and Ikon is based on MK4.
refer this page Ford Fiesta - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old 24th September 2009, 02:38   #85
Distinguished - BHPian

Raj,
that is because Wikipedia refers to the MK5 as the MK4 facelift, when it is actually known as the MK5.
Google the different variants and see for yourself.
Google Fiesta MK1 - MK7. MK7 is the newest one, MK6 the one on which the fiesta is based, MK5 is the one on which the Ikon is based.
Either ways, this version is 1 generation old and was selling in UK till about a year ago.
Old 24th September 2009, 06:18   #86
Senior - BHPian

couldnt they put some decent alloys and bigger tyres to make this car look good? they are such a bloody turn off
Old 24th September 2009, 07:29   #87
Team-BHP Support

Its now official. Its called Ford Figo !

Ford unveils much awaited small car, Figo - Automobiles-Auto-News By Industry-News-The Economic Times
Old 24th September 2009, 07:32   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chennai-indian View Post
As for pricing, I can positively confirm that it will be between 3.5L to 4.7L Ex showroom Delhi
Wow! Not bad pricing. Decent looks. I think this is serious competition to the i10 and ilk. Plonk a 1.4 TDCi
and I think this will sell decently.

Last edited by prince_pervez : 24th September 2009 at 07:36.
Old 24th September 2009, 07:59   #89
MAS
Senior - BHPian

Great Going Ford

I personally think that Ford would leave no stone unturned to make FIGO a success. I am sure they would price it sensibly as they would like to see volumes from FIGO.

Like many of us here, I also feel that the car is very similar to the FUSION with a slightly tapering bonnet and smaller wheels.

I own a Fusion 1.4 TDCI. It is a wonderful car. I have driven (read abused) the car (Speedo reads 65K) in all sorts of conditions in the past two years and (touchwood) it has never given up.

Ford builds fantastic cars and engines. I feel they are weak on the mareting side, particularly with their product positioning. Hope they got it right this time. The car would only be successful if Ford manages to upgrade their A.S.S network.

Even today, with low sales, the serive centres, atleast in Chennai, are full of cars and with the expected volume churner, FIGO, I'm sure the service centres will not have space to even park the cars. IMHO, the service centres are not competent to handle volumes and they blame part of the pathetic service on the high number of cars serviced on any particular day. A SA who resigned from MPL Ford Chennai, confided that he had to clean the cars himself before delivering and they are unable to cope up with volumes. With FIGO round the corner, the situation is only going to become worse.
Old 24th September 2009, 08:05   #90
Senior - BHPian

have they chopped off the ikons boot and stuck to it fusions tail??

cant they design something new for us?. why do we always revieve altered shirts?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed