Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th October 2009, 17:35   #151
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I The main competitors will be the Diesel models of Linea, Verna, Fiesta, DZire and the Petrol SX4 and ANHC!
You forgot the soon to be launched Manza
Old 8th October 2009, 19:44   #152
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikanths1 View Post
If SX4 comes with 1.3MJD what difference does it make from the Dezire.
I had mentioned first that "It would be a disaster in terms of performance if Maruti uses the 1.3MJD in SX4".

Anyway, let me point out some differences:

1. SX4 is in a segment above the DZire.

2. SX4 has an exclusivity factor when compared to Swift (not as common on the roads as Swift).

3. If the 1.3MJD is used in SX4, I hope it will be the VGT version with 90BHP. It has a good 15 BHP advantage over the regular 1.3, and the power-to-weight ratio of the Diesel SX4 will be higher when compared to DZire.

4. And the main advantage of going for an SX4 over DZire is aesthetics! How many on the earth likes the DZire shape? But SX4 is a much liked design than DZire, if not by all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRf1 View Post
You forgot the soon to be launched Manza
My mistake!
Old 8th October 2009, 23:40   #153
BHPian

its ironic that sx4 actually competes in the "compact sedan segment" with the likes of civic, corolla, and hyundai elantra in the USA. there they have the sx4 sport model with 2 litre petrol engine which has 140 hp. same as the honda civic and corolla. and sporty 17" alloys. and it gets curtain airbags, side airbags, auto trans, navigation etc. suzuki in the USA also offers the longest warranty of like 7 years for the engine i guess.

but here its a C segment car. and civic is considered D segment luxury car lolz. but the facts there to support that and the quality speaks for itself. it shows up in the materials and quality of the product when you sit down to compare it. they are miles apart.

but still if they make an effort in improving quality of plastics and just solid materials then i think it can sell in large numbers.

Last edited by Caramelo : 8th October 2009 at 23:44.
Old 9th October 2009, 14:31   #154
BHPian

news is new SX4 will be launched around the month end.
this one will come with a VVT engine (same tech. as is in the new 2.4 GV)
a lil' nip and tuck here / there - alloys / grills etc, but no shape change
interior color will be revamped
and - it'll get an auto trany
Old 9th October 2009, 16:21   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
but still if they make an effort in improving quality of plastics and just solid materials then i think it can sell in large numbers.
Its another Irony that all most of us in our country seem to notice is "Interiors". And that too "beige interiors" to be precise. Stuff like a powerful motor, Good ride and handling package and all are ignored most of the times. What better proof of it than the last gen city? It had good plastics in beige and fuel economy comparable to a small Hyundai (well, almost) and it sold like Hot cakes. This despite of the fact that it was priced on par with its rivals and even the GXi model had below average equipment levels,though the anniversary models provided some relief before it got discontinued.
Most of us probably have a tendency to associate beige interiors with 'luxury cars' and then we also give priority to fuel economy over anything else.

As for the plastic quality and stuff its nothing to complain about considering that the cars like corolla and civic cost close to 3 lakhs more.

Except for Linea no other C segment car that costs close the SX4 zxi has better/comparable equipment than it.
Also SX4 is one of the quickest cars in the segment and its handling and ride is just a notch below linea and fiesta.
The main area of concern is fuel economy and refinement at high revs. Also, it may seem unlikely but SX4 is doing okay if we compare it with other petrol cars in the segment. Majority of car-sales in its segment and a very high majority at that, comes from the diesel variant of other cars.
SX4 seems to be doing better numbers than the petrol variants of Verna, Fiesta,Aveo and Linea.

SX4 is a great all rounder and refinement is the only area it really lacks in.However a fuel efficient diesel from the Fiat is just what the doctor has ordered. That and the unbeatable after sales and support of Maruti will in all probability set the sales chart on fire.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 9th October 2009 at 16:23.
Old 9th October 2009, 18:16   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Its another Irony that all most of us in our country seem to notice is "Interiors". And that too "beige interiors" to be precise. Stuff like a powerful motor, Good ride and handling package and all are ignored most of the times. What better proof of it than the last gen city? It had good plastics in beige and fuel economy comparable to a small Hyundai (well, almost) and it sold like Hot cakes. This despite of the fact that it was priced on par with its rivals and even the GXi model had below average equipment levels,though the anniversary models provided some relief before it got discontinued.
Most of us probably have a tendency to associate beige interiors with 'luxury cars' and then we also give priority to fuel economy over anything else.

As for the plastic quality and stuff its nothing to complain about considering that the cars like corolla and civic cost close to 3 lakhs more.

Except for Linea no other C segment car that costs close the SX4 zxi has better/comparable equipment than it.
Also SX4 is one of the quickest cars in the segment and its handling and ride is just a notch below linea and fiesta.
The main area of concern is fuel economy and refinement at high revs. Also, it may seem unlikely but SX4 is doing okay if we compare it with other petrol cars in the segment. Majority of car-sales in its segment and a very high majority at that, comes from the diesel variant of other cars.
SX4 seems to be doing better numbers than the petrol variants of Verna, Fiesta,Aveo and Linea.

SX4 is a great all rounder and refinement is the only area it really lacks in.However a fuel efficient diesel from the Fiat is just what the doctor has ordered. That and the unbeatable after sales and support of Maruti will in all probability set the sales chart on fire.
Yes rightly mentioned, people tend to forget Sx4 is second best to ANHC in terms of sales volume (C segment petrol). ANHC has literally written off the future of rest of the lot (petrol avatar of Fiesta, Verna, Aveo etc). Sx4 being a crossover will continue to survive rivals onslaught coz of its some uncharacteristic sedan features.

High Seating position, highway cruising ability, high speed handling, high GC etc are the key characteristic add to that the rich equipment level in Zxi which made this car popular. Its sale will not have much impact with heart transformation with upcoming M16 VVT . Even with 1.6 MJD avatar I have my own reservation that Sx4 sales will conquer ANHC. My apprehensions are based on mysterious poor sales performance of fantastic Verna CRDI.

MSIL will some how need to rebrand itself for C segment and particularly will have to aggressively tighten up its quality issue. Thats where Honda scores over dudes.
Old 9th October 2009, 18:29   #157
BHPian

Couldnt agree more.

I bought the SX4 around 3 weeks back and I have really liked the hunky design and the 16" alloys.I am so much satisifed with it although have done just 700kms.

The VVT engine should be a bit smoother and more fuel efficient(not to say this one isnt,thats more of an opinion by non-SX4 owners).

Not sure what interior color will be revamped.
Old 9th October 2009, 21:13   #158
BHPian

my point is, maruti should just make it better in this revamp! good plastics(black/beige) don't care!! its loaded already! by indian standard!

its has different driving characteristics as mentioned by some folks here. with the new engine and auto box! and VFM pricing! i would go ahead and just get myself one.

honda city auto is like almost 10 lacs ex showroom!!
Old 9th October 2009, 22:23   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post

Personally I would choose black over Biege as it is easy to maintain.

But leaving that behind most small cars world wide are offered with three colors generally Black, Biege or Grey. Unfortunately we write off Black as nono and Greys have made big infusion in small cars and Biege a luxury color. Off late even white interiors are making a come back in Europe and US we too will get a shine of that.

And again personally I dont feel the Interiors of the SX4 as bad to write it off. Its definitely a level below the market but it doesnt break or bear scratch marks on them or for that matter doesnt rattle. I have an SX4 for over a year and has done over 20K over various terrains that I know no other sedan can go through.

THe only two areas of gripe are bad clutch and very bad low end torque. I recently bought the Ritz Diesel and found the hydraulic clutch much better than in the SX4. So it will make its way in and with VVT its low end should be good too.

I dont think many will like the CVT box. I have driven the Nissan Maxima with a 5/6 speeder CVT in US and trust me I feel its 3.5L V6 is wasted mating to a CVT its too rubbery. I also had a Pointiac G6 which was much better car to drive, with a similar sized engine and used to manage close to twice the miles per gallon even with a 4 speeder.
Old 10th October 2009, 12:26   #160
BHPian

I guess this confirms .. no 1.3MJD-90 for SX4.
Maruti has to look at other manufacturers for a diesel in SX4. Or maybe they can still release the 1.6 MJD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidgo7 View Post

just back from the FIAT plant!

heard it from horses mouth - fiat powertrain head- suzuki cant use mjd with vgt! no license!
so only manza and linea!
Old 10th October 2009, 13:01   #161
Senior - BHPian

Those who are hoping for a new SX4 with 1.6 MJD or for that matter, the 1.3 MJD (VGT) in India are only day-dreaming.. it won't happen, at least for 3-4 years, by which time, FIAT/GM would have flooded models with those engines
Old 12th October 2009, 10:36   #162
BHPian

Latest from R C Bhargava - Chairman Maruti Suzuki
“As a model gets older, its sales drop. The sales of the SX4 were further hit due to a few misleading reports in media about Maruti planning to discontinue the SX4. Hopefully sales would look brighter after the facelift. I am not sure what target has been set for the car, but we will supply what the market will demand”, Bhargava says.

"So what is the facelift all about? The engine will be upgraded to the Bharat Stage IV emission norms, which will kick in from April next year in 11 cities, and the power output will be scaled up to give it a higher pick-up. The car will now drive on the variable valve timing technology.
In addition, SX4 will have new bumpers, a ‘‘sophisticated-looking” grille and spruced-up interiors. The new car will also have an additional automatic variant — another first for any sedan from Maruti. The new car will of course be more expensive than the current top-end Zxi variant, which comes at Rs 7.5 lakh (ex-showroom Delhi)."

Source: The 'men' will be back soon

Lot of the people I talked too in the last couple of weeks were of the impression that SX4 had been discontinued. Despite me saying otherwise. I was quite surprised as to how come people got the feeling of the SX4 being discontinued.
Old 12th October 2009, 11:39   #163
BHPian

Instead of the OEM manufacturer deciding what interiors i need, can't they have an option for me to select the kind of interior i need? Let them have an option for Black, Grey and Beige interiors. I will select the kind of interiors i want.
For me, the criteria is contrast. So if i have a dark coloured car, i prefer a light coloured interior like Beige. If i have a light coloured car, i prefer a dark coloured interior like Black. So for a car which is priced about 8-9 lacs, i feel the customer must be given an option to select at least the colour of the interiors he wants.
Old 12th October 2009, 12:06   #164
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
Instead of the OEM manufacturer deciding what interiors i need, can't they have an option for me to select the kind of interior i need? Let them have an option for Black, Grey and Beige interiors. I will select the kind of interiors i want.
I like this idea. For me the criteria is not being contrast, but something called ergonomics. I like matt finish in front of me (dash) and in dark color because it doesn't reflect light and is pleasant to eyes while in the afternoon. I like little light color in the lower part because it gives an airy and fresh feeling. And last but not the least, the area where we keep our feet should be dark in color otherwise the car looks dirty always. Recently I entered my friends' i10 (sportz) model in the sunny afternoon and I just could not see anything beyond the windscreen! It was reflecting the sunlight directly to my eyes! I am not sure how people drive under such circumstances!
Old 13th October 2009, 10:00   #165
BHPian

Launch date?

I remember an earlier post stating that the car would be relaunched on the 13th. Is it happening today?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks