Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 18th January 2010, 12:13   #136
BANNED

I still don't understand why Maruti has not passed the excise duty benefit to the K-series Swift customer. If the cost of technology for new K-series engine nullify the excise benefit, then why the price of DZire is not increased after the engine upgrade? Because, even after engine upgrade, DZire doesn't enjoy the tax benefit, and now with K-Series engine, its price should go up because of the 'technology'.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:16   #137
BHPian

One of the appeal of Swift was its free revving G13BB engine. It was a delight to red line the engine. It is not just about power and torque but also how it is delivered.

From reviews of Ritz, the K series does not seem to be so free revving. So it may not appeal to performance enthusiasts. However with increased FE it might appeal to a new segment altogether.
Old 18th January 2010, 12:30   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
a. Low end torque in K12 - Does this new development kill the high end torque in prev 1.3L engine. Is this for certain or is there still some ambiguity around this ? Mods/folks who have driven both Swift 1.3L and Ritz 1.2 (K12) can opine better.
Haven't driven the Swift petrol with non K engine, but the low end torque in Ritz is awesome. Floor the throttle in any gear at low revs and the engine pulls cleanly. Coupled to the super slick gearbox, driving the car in bumper traffic does not become a chore.

Nikhil
Old 18th January 2010, 12:31   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I still don't understand why Maruti has not passed the excise duty benefit to the K-series Swift customer. If the cost of technology for new K-series engine nullify the excise benefit, then why the price of DZire is not increased after the engine upgrade? Because, even after engine upgrade, DZire doesn't enjoy the tax benefit, and now with K-Series engine, its price should go up because of the 'technology'.
Good point. I guess the benefit from excise duty on swift may be more than the additional cost of K series engine (since now the economies of scale will be built into the K series cost). This might offset whatever increase the Dzire might have in its engine cost. So they may have decided to keep the price of Dzire also intact. So I presume
Old 18th January 2010, 12:35   #140
BHPian

Has it reached to our Showrooms? Heard that it is launched only at delhi.. Any updates from our delhi bhpians?
Old 18th January 2010, 13:56   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
I think that should be pretty straight forward. Even at current prices they are struggling to meet demand for the Swift. Heck even the petrol engined Swift(G13B) has got a waiting period. Why kill a goose that lays golden eggs? I'm certain the increase in cost for the new tech K series engine is not sufficient to nullify the tax benefits associated with it. No way. If that were the case the would have brought out the Ritz with a downsized G series motor when it was launched. This is just a case of making hay while the sun shines.(milking the customer to the hilt) Wrong move Maruti. This might just backfire. Customers don't like to be taken for a ride. In this case its pretty damn obvious. Unless there is VVT or something like that to differentiate it from the Ritz, you are just converting the tax benefits which were supposed to be passed on to the customer to your profits. We might just not be willing to forgive you for that.

Last edited by longhorn : 18th January 2010 at 14:00.
Old 18th January 2010, 14:04   #142
BHPian

Maruti website is still not updated..
Old 18th January 2010, 14:15   #143
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

the current Swift 1.3 will continue to appeal strongly to driving enthusiasts, young at heart second car seekers and the young buyers.
the new K series with increased FE will open up a new segment completely for the Swift, possibly even in preference to the Ritz - because of the looks and the boot space which is certainly better in the Swift!
given the pricing policy indications as per this thread, it can mean that used Swifts should also be able to hold on to their residual values.
Old 18th January 2010, 17:50   #144
Senior - BHPian

for a common man, it doesnt matter 1.2 or 1.3L. He will just go by SWIFT name and its better mileage due to 1.2L engine. i know numerous people who have gone for siwft just becasue its SWIFT from Maruti. they dont care about engine. all they want is a Swift. So its good strategy by MSIL

OT:
I read that even DZIRE will be sold with 1.2L K-series engine! what next will they will launch SX4 in 1.2L engine?
Old 18th January 2010, 18:23   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Wonder if the aam-admi understands the J-K-L-M we are discussing here. His parameters are fixed no matter what you plonk under the hood.
1. Price
2. Mileage
3. Space
4. Looks

In that order i guess. Seriously, of all the cars that Maruti sells, how many people make their decision based on anything to do with the engine? At max, the only technical parameters considered for making the decision maybe bhp & torque.

For most outside of this forum, as long as maruti maintains the key parameters, they will buy any new swift avtaar. My take.
That's not entirely true my friend. If that would have been the case, the Swift itself was a BIT overpriced right from the begining before being such a rage and setting the market and pricing standard for its segment.
i10 was termed overpriced but still people took it/grabbed with both hands.
i20 initally being a non-perfomer has come up very well in numbers.
People now ARE WILLING to PAY THAT EXTRA to GET THAT EXTRA.
And regarding that Aam Aadmi thing, he is the one who is trying to move to that KHAS AADMI section by going that extra mile.
Old 18th January 2010, 18:56   #146
Senior - BHPian

Price list seems to be updated as on jan 16 2010.

Here are the mumbai prices.

Maruti Swift - Prices
Old 18th January 2010, 18:59   #147
BHPian

New Swift with 1.2 litre Engine is OK to some extent. I pity the Petrol Dzire buyers with 1.2, And that too with an additional load of 70-80kgs. ( I guess?)

And by plonking this Engine in Swift and not reducing the Price, Maruti is profiting an additional amount of atleast 30K from each Car.
Old 18th January 2010, 20:28   #148
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
New Swift with 1.2 litre Engine is OK to some extent. I pity the Petrol Dzire buyers with 1.2, And that too with an additional load of 70-80kgs. ( I guess?)
The DZire weighs just 30KG more than Swift, not 70-80 KG.

Eventhough the K-Series engine is smaller in CC and is less powered (84BHP instead 87BHP), it weighs much less than the G-Series engine. So the power-to-weight ratio may be maintained, and may nullify the drop in power.
Old 18th January 2010, 20:36   #149
Senior - BHPian

Does that mean a clean wipe out of G Series or are there any cars which will b still be using G series.

Firstly are all models of Swift going to be with K series? Or are they also going to have G Series, cos anyway the BS IV norms are only in 11 cities.
Old 18th January 2010, 20:37   #150
BHPian

The MUL website shows prices for BS -IV models across the country

Price

Means People who had booked petrol Swift will get K series engines.

Most Viewed