Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2010, 15:18   #346
BHPian

What would be the Cost of the Engine in a Car? Less than 20% (I guess).

What MSIL should've done and expected by many was to give much better interiors or package without affecting the price.

And Yes! Maruti is ethically wrong by not reducing the price OR increasing the features on the Petrol Version.

People were buying Maruti's because they think No other manufacturer can beat them, when it comes to pricing. But this particular model has beaten the purpose.

I guess, the pricing or the features will be tinkered once the FIGO and POLO are launched ( that too if both price them right ).
Old 6th February 2010, 16:00   #347
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by magnanimousdude View Post
Guys, any updates on the test drives of swift K series Engine?. eagerly waiting for the reviews... if not us, Mods! have you managed to try one drive?
I too hope GTO serves us with TD report for the swift k series just as he has done for so many other models.Can't wait to read about this one.
Old 6th February 2010, 16:56   #348
BHPian

Many K12 swift has been out for the owners it seems. many people had booked the vehicle. But no reviews as of now... . here in chennai i could see the advertisement for the K12 swift calling for test drive or rather you can even sms booking for the test drive... etc. but when i walk to the Showrooms, there are NO K12 swift available for testdrive. annoying!!. i have heard that few people got the delivery of the Swift as well. Below is the Quote

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranjitkodali View Post
I am taking delivery of my Swift VXI - ABS K-Series on Feb 15. Can't take it next week due to busy schedule. The showroom personnel has said that they have already delivered about 5 cars with K series under the hood so far.

Will post my review after I receive it. 13 days to go !
Seems a showroom has delivered 5 Cars also, but not even one chance we have got to test drive that motor.

MODS: we are eagerly waiting for your K12 Series Swift Test Drive Review...
Old 6th February 2010, 17:48   #349
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I beg to differ. Although my swift is just over 2 yrs old, I have put it through 56k km and some pretty rough terrain. There is nothing about the car which suggests a shoddy build. Apart from slight plastic rattles, it still feels pretty much the way it did when it was new.
Can you post a detailed report about your friend's swift? What exactly is 'falling apart' in his car?
Well, I hope your car stays that way even after 4-5 years. My friend's was one of the first swifts to be sold, he got it as a "gift" for his marriage.

The culprit is mostly the plastics.
1) There are rattles from the dash, the door panels, the seats, well, everywhere.
2) The plastics on the doors has is coming out, there are bulges, and there is discoloration.
3) The whole door panel bulges out when the you raise the power windows.
4) The power window switches are hard, sometimes do not work.
5) The seat fabric is ruined. I do not know how to describe the phenomenon, but the threads are coming out like what you see in cheap T-shirts.
6) Huge noise from the blower.
7) Steering has lost its precision. It is scary, when you point the steering somewhere and the car goes elsewhere (well, that is a bit of exaggeration).
8) Exterior is pretty much OK, except for the bumpers which came off a couple of times, and had to be fixed back.
Old 6th February 2010, 17:57   #350
BHPian

^ I've been in a few M800's (around 7 to 8 years old) and Alto's. They didn't have the problems you have mentioned. As a matter of fact, they had none. I guess it all lies in the way the car is maintained and used.
Old 6th February 2010, 18:15   #351
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rg_chn View Post
^ I've been in a few M800's (around 7 to 8 years old) and Alto's. They didn't have the problems you have mentioned. As a matter of fact, they had none. I guess it all lies in the way the car is maintained and used.
I cannot comment about M800 or Alto, as I have never driven either of the cars. I drive the said Swift occasionally. Well, the car has not run much (less than 20K on the ODO), as the owner is overseas most of the time, and has been driven around in the city (read, good roads) only.
Old 6th February 2010, 18:53   #352
BHPian

I don't think it is a question of ethics. How do we know other car manufacturers with 1.2 engine have actually passed the excise duty benefit? Just because there is a change in engine for swift, this debate is arising. Especially for a car like Jazz, there is no reason to believe that they have passed the excise duty benefit. Also MSIL is not forcing anyone to buy the swift. It is always a supply and demand equillibrium. Also it makes business sense for MSIL to price the Swift the same and maintain the difference with Ritz to ensure that sales of both the models are optimized
Old 6th February 2010, 19:18   #353
BHPian

[quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
My friend's was one of the first swifts to be sold, he got it as a "gift" for his marriage.

The culprit is mostly the plastics.
1) There are rattles from the dash, the door panels, the seats, well, everywhere.
2) The plastics on the doors has is coming out, there are bulges, and there is discoloration.
3) The whole door panel bulges out when the you raise the power windows.
4) The power window switches are hard, sometimes do not work.
5) The seat fabric is ruined. I do not know how to describe the phenomenon, but the threads are coming out like what you see in cheap T-shirts.
6) Huge noise from the blower.
7) Steering has lost its precision. It is scary, when you point the steering somewhere and the car goes elsewhere (well, that is a bit of exaggeration).
8) Exterior is pretty much OK, except for the bumpers which came off a couple of times, and had to be fixed back
Just one doubt, is it a reasonably maintained car?

If this is the situation even after periodic servicing & proper maintenance, you must bring it to the notice of the parent company, they are suposed to be serious about customer feedback.

May be the 'Dowry car' is showing its 'true colors'

Last edited by KITE RUNNER : 6th February 2010 at 19:22.
Old 7th February 2010, 00:02   #354
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KITE RUNNER View Post
Just one doubt, is it a reasonably maintained car?...
I was about to ask the same thing. I know i'm now going OT on this thread, but a few questions:
Is the car mostly parked outdoors?
Does the owner maintain it well?
Is it driven hard regularly?

The plastic door panel does get pushed out a bit if you keep the switch pulled up after the window is fully raised, but in my car I feel it only when my knee is against the panel. It is barely perceptible, but irritates me anyway.
Old 7th February 2010, 09:00   #355
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy.S View Post
I was about to ask the same thing. I know i'm now going OT on this thread, but a few questions:
Is the car mostly parked outdoors?
Does the owner maintain it well?
Is it driven hard regularly?

The plastic door panel does get pushed out a bit if you keep the switch pulled up after the window is fully raised, but in my car I feel it only when my knee is against the panel. It is barely perceptible, but irritates me anyway.
Car is always parked in a semi-covered garage. I guess all services were done. And I am sure the car was not driven hard, as the owner is not an enthusiast. But then, even if you really want to, how can you possibly ruin a car in 20K km. I think it is just the age showing up. Maybe somebody in this group with a similarly aged swift can tell us whether they are facing similar issues. Maybe, it is just because this was one of the first swifts to roll out. Just like the Punto/Linea, that had a lot of quality issues in the first few batches, which are being fixed in newer batches.

BTW, there are absolutely no issues with the engine, unless you want to consider the fact that the gear liver is a bit tight. And minus the steering feel, it is really fun to drive.

About the door panel bluging out, it is very much an irritant. Actually, there is a X shaped thing inside that pushes the window up. When the glass hits the top, the motor continues to apply pressure for a second or two, and this causes the X shaped thing to bend, pushing the plastic panel outwards.

The issues cannot be classified as "not working" and hence service centers are not keen on fixing these. You get a vague "there is no problem" answer from the service guys.
Old 7th February 2010, 11:16   #356
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by civic-sense View Post
...About the door panel bluging out, it is very much an irritant. Actually, there is a X shaped thing inside that pushes the window up.....
...The issues cannot be classified as "not working" and hence service centers are not keen on fixing these. You get a vague "there is no problem" answer from the service guys.
I just hope Maruti uses some part of the excise benefit to iron out this sort of issue. There are niggling minor issues which cannot really be ironed out unless you are a hardcore DIY guy.
Old 7th February 2010, 11:38   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Roy.S;1720219]I just hope Maruti uses some part of the excise benefit to iron out this sort of issue.
You are absolutely right, Maruti Suzuki should look into quality matters on a serious note, true that they make great VFM cars, but there are always niggles. Let them realise that people are no more willing to live with such issues, this is not the eighties, competitors are fast catching up.

Last edited by KITE RUNNER : 7th February 2010 at 11:40.
Old 7th February 2010, 19:17   #358
BHPian

Did anyone got the chance to test drive Dzire KB12 as well ? and is there any cosmetic changes for Dzire ?
Old 7th February 2010, 22:28   #359
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kashishd View Post
If I make it to the yard tomorrow, I will try my best to take pics and answer some of the questions everyone has viz. - Interiors (dashboard), Transmission etc.
Good luck! My prayers are with you
Old 8th February 2010, 10:02   #360
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The quality issues some of you are speaking about is not news to Suzuki. In fact, Suzuki is considered a bargain basement brand in N/A and Europe. It's at the bottom of the pile in pretty much most quality rankings.

Maruti needs to raise the bar when it comes to build quality. Competition is heating up; Hyundai overtook Maruti in sheer quality a long time back (i10 especially so). Today, even a cheaper Chevy Beat feels better built than a Maruti Swift. VFM is one thing, compromises entirely another.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks