Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2010, 19:48   #196
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
beleive me half the populations buying a maruti don't even look at engine specs. power in details. they look at the price. mileage looks and company. also A.S.S thats it!
If this is true, the why the Maruti 800 sales is a mere 2000 in number, while Swift sales are around 10000?

Common man do really look at the engine spec also - not only mileage, initial cost, maintenance cost, spare parts, service and comfort. But they are not street racers. They buy the car that has enough power for their use.
Old 21st January 2010, 22:13   #197
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
If this is true, the why the Maruti 800 sales is a mere 2000 in number, while Swift sales are around 10000?

Common man do really look at the engine spec also - not only mileage, initial cost, maintenance cost, spare parts, service and comfort. But they are not street racers. They buy the car that has enough power for their use.
Most people I know have little or no idea about engines and their capacities. If awareness on engines was really high, team-bhp would have millions of members instead of the select few who live to drive.
All that people care for is fuel efficiency, low initial cost and low cost of ownership. That also explains why the low-end variant of any particular car sell more than the top end one with all the goodies.
Old 22nd January 2010, 10:18   #198
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
Most people I know have little or no idea about engines and their capacities. If awareness on engines was really high, team-bhp would have millions of members instead of the select few who live to drive.
All that people care for is fuel efficiency, low initial cost and low cost of ownership. That also explains why the low-end variant of any particular car sell more than the top end one with all the goodies.
I agree the average Indian is worried about the initial cost, mileage and ownership cost. These are extremely important for any body not just a common man, but also for several Team BHPians. However the argument on low end variants selling more is entirely not right. Look at Swift Diesel. It is the VDi with Abs that is most in demand. Had there been a Zdi I am sure that would have been in demand as well. SX4 Zxi is more in demand than VXi. i10 1.2 Kappa is more in demand than the irde 1.1l one. Ritz Zxi is more in demand than the lower end variants. What is clear is that Indians are very smart. They will put their money where they see maximum value. Team BHP is a miniscule representation of the Indian car buyers and so cannot be taken as a benchmark for measuring the needs of average Indian buyers. A lot of us here probably are better off professionaly than an average Indian and thus are willing to pay for some Intangible benefits from cars as well.
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:34   #199
BHPian

Along with the FE, power, torque figures, a few deciding factors could also be: status symbol(even in lower end cars, say sub-4 lacs, because they will be compared with cars their friends and relatives have who are from the same economical and social background), the looks, the emotional angle. And the advertisements are making the best use of these factors in making the ads.
Old 22nd January 2010, 15:40   #200
BHPian

I went to Varun Motors yesterday to check the car. They said it would be coming next month. But one question is in my mind. Will this also have the long waiting periods as Swift D?
Old 22nd January 2010, 16:36   #201
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikramk View Post
Do you think all the people who buy a car (particularly, those with that much knowledge about engine, as you said) have internet access or even computer knowledge? Even if they have, are all of them aware of the Team-BHP site? I still don't get your point "If awareness on engines was really high, team-bhp would have millions of members"

Quote:
the low-end variant of any particular car sell more than the top end one with all the goodies.
Absolutely wrong. It's not the low-end, but mid and high end models are selling well in India.
Old 22nd January 2010, 23:16   #202
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
Will this also have the long waiting periods as Swift D?
The Swift D can now(whenever the K comes out)breathe easy and have a gut feeling that it may outsell the Swift D

@all-- keep this thread updated
Old 23rd January 2010, 00:52   #203
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnidumolu View Post
I went to Varun Motors yesterday to check the car. They said it would be coming next month. But one question is in my mind. Will this also have the long waiting periods as Swift D?
I don't think it will have waiting periods comparable to Swift D, the reason being Maruti has an agreement with Fiat according to which they can get only limited no. of engines over a period of time, where as this new engine is from Maruti's own stable.
Old 23rd January 2010, 11:57   #204
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_ View Post
I don't think it will have waiting periods comparable to Swift D, the reason being Maruti has an agreement with Fiat according to which they can get only limited no. of engines over a period of time, where as this new engine is from Maruti's own stable.
AFAIK, Maruti does not source the engines from Fiat. They source the technology. The DDIS engine is being manufactured at Maruti's very own plant. I suppose they have to pay royalty to Fiat for the engines they manufacture.
Old 23rd January 2010, 13:24   #205
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny_ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
AFAIK, Maruti does not source the engines from Fiat. They source the technology. The DDIS engine is being manufactured at Maruti's very own plant. I suppose they have to pay royalty to Fiat for the engines they manufacture.
Suzuki had paid money to Fiat for manufacturing the Fiat SDE ( Small Diesel Engine ) in India. So they could come up with SDE earlier in their cars than Fiat itself.
This manufacturing included source of tech. and deal was for more than one engine. But after Fiat saw what Suzuki did with their SDE, they have not given tech transfer for other engines. So suzuki went in to deal with VW.

Also Fiat would be very foolish to supply diesel engine for Suzuki cars in India. They would first plonk it in their cars and then supply engines to Suzuki.
After Fiat-Tata deal was signed, both of them went to Suzuki to procure the SDE as Suzuki was already producing the engine in India. But suzuki refused as it had paid a lot of money to fiat.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 23rd January 2010 at 13:25.
Old 23rd January 2010, 22:20   #206
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Suzuki had paid money to Fiat for manufacturing the Fiat SDE ( Small Diesel Engine ) in India. So they could come up with SDE earlier in their cars than Fiat itself.
This manufacturing included source of tech. and deal was for more than one engine. But after Fiat saw what Suzuki did with their SDE, they have not given tech transfer for other engines. So suzuki went in to deal with VW.

Also Fiat would be very foolish to supply diesel engine for Suzuki cars in India. They would first plonk it in their cars and then supply engines to Suzuki.
After Fiat-Tata deal was signed, both of them went to Suzuki to procure the SDE as Suzuki was already producing the engine in India. But suzuki refused as it had paid a lot of money to fiat.
Sounds more like a story from a TV serial. A bit of melodrama thrown in too. You seem to have great imagination. Please back your stories with some proof too. Not the usual "you can google and find out", please.

Last edited by civic-sense : 23rd January 2010 at 22:22.
Old 24th January 2010, 00:19   #207
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys,

I guess this thread is supposed to be a Swift launched with K series engine. Instead with all these arguments its turning out to be a I know Maruti better than you thread.
Old 24th January 2010, 01:44   #208
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post

From the knowledge I have gathered from this forum, I was under the impression that its Fiat-Tata that governs the sale of the 'engine'. Thanks for updating me Sir.
Old 24th January 2010, 01:44   #209
BHPian

Saw a top-end Swift K-Series at Spectra motors. Apart from the engine change, I noticed that it had Reverse Sensors & corner protection strips as part of the standard package.

One obvious question - with a 7.69% reduction in engine capacity, shouldn't the price be decreased too?
Old 24th January 2010, 01:55   #210
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fornax View Post
Saw a top-end Swift K-Series at Spectra motors. Apart from the engine change, I noticed that it had Reverse Sensors & corner protection strips as part of the standard package.

One obvious question - with a 7.69% reduction in engine capacity, shouldn't the price be decreased too?
I believe initially they won't decrease the price, since its a new car. And if it succeeds(which it definitely will), then there may not be any decrease.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks