Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 14th February 2010, 15:47   #391
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mail.jaiswal View Post
Request GTO to please post a detailed test drive for the Swift K-series! really want to know how much has the performance changed.
GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu
2) Build quality? I guess many, just like me, would be waiting to hear this. Maruti increased the quality in Ritz. Does the new Swift have a better or I must say 'solid' feel. Or Its just the same?
I too want to know about this as Ritz rattles less compared to Swift and feels better built
Old 14th February 2010, 23:11   #392
BHPian

Thanks much _raviShankar, adi99, CARDEEP, and to everyone at T-BHP.

As a matter of fact, and perhaps ironically, it is the Team-BHP reviews of Ritz, Beat, and Figo, where the virtues of K12M engine are highlighted, propelled my option toward K12M Swift ! Thanks to GTO for the excellent reviews.

Just as a ready reference to those who might want to be able to identify the new Swift from the old one, the engine bays of the old and new Swift, as seen in the following threads by Sidindica, respectively, are reproduced below:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1402179

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...unched-11.html
Attached Thumbnails
Swift with the K series engine? Update: Launched.-oldswiftenginebay.jpg  

Swift with the K series engine? Update: Launched.-newswiftenginebay.jpg  

Old 15th February 2010, 00:17   #393
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheel View Post
GTO

I too want to know about this as Ritz rattles less compared to Swift and feels better built

I doubt they would have made any changes to the build quality or the interior(except for the new fabric that is)

The all new swift is expected towards the end of this year or early next year and as such maruti probably will not invest any money to make changes in the current model
Old 15th February 2010, 00:44   #394
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiokidb View Post
The all new swift is expected towards the end of this year or early next year and as such maruti probably will not invest any money to make changes in the current model
All new? The new one is already launched. Whats left?!
Old 15th February 2010, 08:01   #395
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Next generation swift is coming.

2011 Suzuki Swift Spied in Most Revealing Shots Yet

check it out for yourself.
Old 15th February 2010, 11:00   #396
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevelle View Post
Next generation swift is coming.

2011 Suzuki Swift Spied in Most Revealing Shots Yet

For a 'Next GEN Swift' ..there isn't much radically different from the one that is available in the market ! From what one can gather from the shots, there seem to be minor changes to the front bumper, grill, possibly bonnet styling coupled with new tail lights..I'd say purely cosmetic in nature. Considering the engine has just been spruced up....all's thats left there to be fixed is the cramped interiors. Wonder if they can fix rear leg room problem ?
Old 15th February 2010, 14:02   #397
BHPian

I got delivery of my Swift (P) yesterday and when I reached the tyre dealer for an upgrade to Yoko 185/70/14, the first thing he said was the All New Swift is being launched in late April/May He also mentioned the new Swift will have R15 tyres and R14's will be discontinued!
Old 15th February 2010, 14:18   #398
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
I got delivery of my Swift (P) yesterday and when I reached the tyre dealer for an upgrade to Yoko 185/70/14, the first thing he said was the All New Swift is being launched in late April/May He also mentioned the new Swift will have R15 tyres and R14's will be discontinued!
No chance. I think he was referring to the K series Swift. Maruti would not have bothered to plonk the K12M in the current Swift if the all new Swift is just a couple of months away.
Old 15th February 2010, 15:52   #399
BHPian

The spied pics seems to have more length, may be the rear leg room is taken care of. MAy be there would only be some cosmetic and not any techs
Old 15th February 2010, 16:52   #400
BHPian

The next gen swift is gonna be a completely new platform guys. Sure there will be some similarities but it wont be just a cosmetic change. From the spy pics, the car looks bigger so the rear legroom might be better. And as for the launch all the current information points to a launch in early 2011

Keep in mind though that the swift is an international car. Abroad the target market is usually young people/single people for whom the front two seats are the most important. Hence the current swift was intentionally designed with less rear space in mind. As such im not expecting a drastic improvement in the new swift, legroom will improve but will probably not be class leading
Old 15th February 2010, 18:45   #401
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vibhanshu View Post
Suzuki is a International Player not an Indian Company. So every manufacturer goes back to the drawing board and starts afresh from the scratch designing the Car. Since Suzuki manufacture's only small cars, they may not go for complete change (Costs involved), but the Model will be a generation ahead. (In Car terminology generation means usually 4 - 5 years.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by better4worse View Post
For a 'Next GEN Swift' ..there isn't much radically different from the one that is available in the market ! From what one can gather from the shots, there seem to be minor changes to the front bumper, grill, possibly bonnet styling coupled with new tail lights..I'd say purely cosmetic in nature. Considering the engine has just been spruced up....all's thats left there to be fixed is the cramped interiors. Wonder if they can fix rear leg room problem ?
If you look at 1st generation Wagon R and 4th Generation Wagon R - there is not much externally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by heysac View Post
Don't worry - All new Swift will not be here in the Market atleast for the next 12 months.

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
No chance. I think he was referring to the K series Swift. Maruti would not have bothered to plonk the K12M in the current Swift if the all new Swift is just a couple of months away.
Yes, I too guessed the same.
Old 15th February 2010, 20:42   #402
BHPian

Off topic but TV advt. of K series Engine for swift and Dezire shows new set of alloys on Swift. Is there any change in alloys for ZXI?
Old 15th February 2010, 20:53   #403
BHPian

Highly unlikely that the Swift becomes the "All new" Swift in sometime soon.

But anyhow, I'll pull back the questions again:
Quote:
1) How is the suspension and the ride quality. Are there any changes you feel on the ride, handling, dynamics?
2) Build quality? I guess many, just like me, would be waiting to hear this. Maruti increased the quality in Ritz. Does the new Swift have a better or I must say 'solid' feel. Or Its just the same?
We already have owners here of the New K-Series Swift. Someone please comment on it.
Old 16th February 2010, 01:16   #404

Hey Vibhanshu,

1) The suspension seems to be the same, as I said earlier the engine feels more responsive and refined, I am not really an expert but the handling and dynamics do feel the same
2) Nope! although I love the way this car drives - I have started hearing a clicking rattle sound near the left orvm !! already..its just been 3 days, will take it to the service guys when I plan to get the anti-rust coat soon.
Old 16th February 2010, 01:55   #405
BHPian

Slight detour from the original topic on the thread ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
Suzuki is a International Player not an Indian Company. So every manufacturer goes back to the drawing board and starts afresh from the scratch designing the Car. Since Suzuki manufacture's only small cars, they may not go for complete change (Costs involved), but the Model will be a generation ahead. (In Car terminology generation means usually 4 - 5 years.)
I don't quite buy the .. "suzuki - small car manufacturer > may not go for a complete design change because of costs involved ".

Look up the link below and you would realize how suzuki has evolved the Alto(Kei car) concept radically over the years. Infact its amazing that at this point in time we have 3 different generations of the Alto (Kei car) being sold as three different cars by Maruti suzuki in India.

Suzuki Alto - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

2nd gen ALTO - MS 800
5th gen ALTO - Indian Alto
7th gen ALTO - A-star

IMHO 'generation' would vary with car companies, as for most its function of how well the product fares in the market and their perception of customers requirements in the years to come. Honda is an exception to this logic, I quite recently read in one of the Auto-Mags that henceforth Honda would follow a 3 year cycle, whereby they would update each of their segment models once every 3 yrs. Honda the kinda company they are (read pro-active towards change and improvement), I believe they spruce up even their hot selling models in the name of evolution (case in point..honda city (OHC>NHC>ANHC).

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaz View Post
If you look at 1st generation Wagon R and 4th Generation Wagon R - there is not much externally.
Interesting you say that...1st to fourth generation
I am attaching a wiki link to the Wagon R evolution, do check it out...

Suzuki Wagon R - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe whole lot has changed ..externally!

Probably, you meant 1st generation Wagon R (in the Indian context) and 4th Generation Wagon R (again Indian context )...where they would merely change the grill (square holes > colured louvres > Mesh grill > the Bow-tie grill with a dash of chrome) and declare a new Wagon R.

IMHO what Maruti suzuki offers in India is more focused towards having a car offering in every possible small car segment. I dont find much coherence in their model evolution philosophy either..case in point.. MS Zen (2nd gen) becomes Zen Estilo (tall boy.. which by the way is a Suzuki MR Wagon 1st generation model design) build a diverse portfolio of cars.

Most Viewed