Team-BHP - Nissan's Infiniti brand may debut in India
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   The Indian Car Scene (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/)
-   -   Nissan's Infiniti brand may debut in India (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian-car-scene/66403-nissans-infiniti-brand-may-debut-india.html)

Nissan's Infiniti brand may debut in India

Mumbai: Affluent Indian automobile buyers may get another brand to choose from. Nissan, Japan’s third largest car maker, is looking at the possibility of launching Infiniti, a luxury brand owned by it, in India.

Known for its luxurious features and power-packed driving characteristics, Infiniti is a premium brand which competes with benchmark ones globally such as Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Audi and Accura.

Kiminobu Tokuyama, managing director and CEO, Nissan Motor India, told Business Standard, "We have got a global Infiniti business unit, which is a separate unit from Nissan Motor Company. They have been studying all the opportunities and I am sure they will start studying the Indian market, as it is the best potential market in the world."

Nissan has been pushing for expansion of the Infiniti brand into newer markets across the globe -- Taiwan, South Korea, Russia, Ukraine, China and Western Europe over the years. The brand is popular in the very developed automotive markets of the US and Canada.

However, if launched in India, all Infiniti models would carry a hefty price tag, as they would not be locally made and will have to pay 100 per cent duty.

Infiniti's line-up includes sedans, coupes, convertibles, sports utility vehicles (SUV) and SUV coupes, falling in the range of $33,250 (Rs 16 lakh) - $56,050 (Rs 27 lakh) in the US market. These vehicles are propelled by engines of capacities ranging from 3.6 litre, V6, 328-bhp to 5.6 litre, V8, 320-bhp.

Upon a 100 per cent increase, the price of Infiniti models here would be in the range of Rs 34-57 lakh, putting it in direct comparison with the German car makers.

The surge in demand for luxury cars in India in the past couple of years has made many top auto manufacturers launch their products here. The list includes BMW X6 and the M series, Mercedes new C class, E class and S class, as well as the AMG series, Audi R8, the Porsche range of models, Land Rover and Jaguar, to name some.

"The recent entry of so many luxury car makers, with some more brands readying to enter, shows the potential of the luxury market in India. Although the volumes generated are far lower than some other overseas markets, it has been growing in very high double-digits recently," said a city-based auto analyst.

The launch of a luxury brand in India will bolster the brand image of Nissan in the domestic market; it has a recognition problem despite being in the market for over four years. The company currently sells just two models in India (X-Trail and Teana), both imported.

However, within the next nine months, the company will be launching its first locally produced car from its Chennai plant. It is also preparing to add two more products from the completely built unit (import) route, which will be the sports convertible 370Z and a premium SUV Murano.

Source: Business Standard
news.in.msn.com/

MODS: Please move this thread to appropriate section if it doesnt belong here.

Wow !! So what next. Maybe honda & toyota will bring in their 'Acura' & 'Lexus' into the market soon. Sure the indian car market is quiet heating up.

I wish they give enough importance to the A.S.S like they do in the western countries - else what is the point in bringing up such high end brands. The mass will still be happy with the corollas, civics, accords, city's & our own desi SX4's. You put in 50+L of your hard earned money and get what - **** of an A.S.S. Some may argue that they dont care since they have the dough but my point is this 5L or 5C its my hard earned money and i expect a nominal A.S.S for the investment. I think as of today only BMW is doing an decent job of choosing its dealers. Every other luxury car brand seem to being going south with their choise of dealership and A.S.S. Maybe Benz does a better job ?? i do not know.

I wish these companies gave enough importance to the A.S.S in addition to bringing in these luxury brands - else they will not go anywherereplease:

they should first ramp up their sales and service network properly or else there is no chance of success regardless of which fancy brands come in to India.

Agree 100% on this point. Nissan has some great cars - almost bought a 350Z a few years ago before finally purchasing an Eclipse - but poor dealer network and bad Aftr. Sales serv. means that the consumer will have to get over the "fear factor" before buying.

Quote:

Originally Posted by shankar.balan (Post 1506454)
they should first ramp up their sales and service network properly or else there is no chance of success regardless of which fancy brands come in to India.

Get the FX in India.. :)

One more news confirming this : Nissan to launch sports car Z370 in India in 2010

I think its better if they come up with Infinity brand and sedans. Lexus and Acura are not here, nissan could make a first entry.

Quote:

MOHALI: Nissan Motor will roll out its new sports car
'Z370' in India in 2010 as part of its strategy to offer more variants to the Indian customers.

"Nissan will launch its sports car Z370 in the Indian market and is expected to be rolled out in January 2010," Hover Automotive India (marketing partner of Nissan, India), vice-chairman, G M Singh told reporters today during the launch of new dealership here.

"Though the market for sports car in India
is limited now, but we think over a period of time, the market for such cars will increase," he said.

The company will also unveil its small car Micra hatchback on new platform in 2010 in the Indian market. "Micra will come out with three variants of petrol and diesel...moreover, it will be developed entirely on a new platform," he said.

The price range of Micra could be close to Rs 5 lakh, he informed. Nissan has planned to introduce nine new variants in India by 2012. "Out of the nine models, five of them will be manufactured in its facility that is coming up in Chennai, while, rest of them will be Completely Built Units (CBU)," he said.

At present, Nissan has two models 'Teana' and 'X-Trail' for the Indian market, priced between Rs 21 and 25 lakh.

I think Nissan should prove its mettle to Indian market first by selling X Trail and Teanna properly with better A.S.S. and dealer network

I simply love the G35 and the FX35 SUV. I suppose the latter is a more sensible choice for an Indian offering.

And since someone mentioned the L, Lexus should have been here long ago. Nothing more worthy than the LS to challenge the mighty S.

TOI says otherwise! They spoke to another Nissan official.. and he seems to be singing a different tune.

Quote:

On the company’s luxury brand Infiniti, Colin Dodge, global executive VP for Nissan, told TOI that the current import duty structures did not make it conducive to launch its products here. “The import duty in India is unbelievably unique. It is more than 100%, which is very high compared to other countries and regions. If you take western Europe, it is only 10% and in the US it is about 2.5%. The high import duty means that the luxury car segment cannot develop fully here and volumes remain small,” Dodge said.

India a critical market for us, says Nissan - India Business - Business - NEWS - The Times of India

I do hope Infiniti makes it to India. The cars have style & excellent performance to back up its claim to take on any other premium brand car maker. As for the roar of the engines, thats something I always love to hear!

to be frank i am not much informed about the infiniti cars. or acura models. but i like lexus if compared to these two japs high end brands.

they will be all CBUs and will not as desirable as the BMW, audi, and mercs. maybe lexus but i doubt if others will succeed here.

How about 350/370Z? I simply love that car

I think it will not happen until 2012.since they have many plans in pipeline to establish Nissan in 2012.Anyway Infinti is really good brand and surely will heat up the segement.

Quote:

Originally Posted by flyingspur (Post 1507349)
I simply love the G35 and the FX35 SUV. I suppose the latter is a more sensible choice for an Indian offering.

Yes and No Flyingspur. I think they should get the G35 here. Simply Awesome!

Had test driven the 2003 G35 back in '05 in Phoenix, AZ. Was helping a buddy pick between the 330i, G35, Accord v6 and the C-class. Once we drove the G35 there was no doubt about what we finally picked!
288 horses V6. Almost got a ticket and reached the showroom with the smell of burning rubber!lol:

Thats a very good news. They must hurry. Get the infinity G sedan and G37.
Now people would get even more choice if they are stuck between an audi, merc or a bmw.