Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 23rd February 2010, 11:07   #16
BHPian

By models they mean nine segments and not nine variants in single segment. They already have x-trail and teana. Is 370z already available in showrooms? then they are going to launch new mirca and small sedan. spyshots of an MPV have already surfaced. I am not aware of other vehicles.

edit: there are already few threads on this:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ia-2012-a.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ls-2012-a.html

Last edited by Comrade : 23rd February 2010 at 11:14.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:08   #17
BHPian

This is all fine but Nissan need to work on getting nine dealerships first rather than nine models. This is a good brand held back just because of lack of exposure and easy accessibility for potential customers.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:18   #18
Senior - BHPian

They have to do a lot of things before launching these. They should have a good A** or tie up with a good A**. They should have a good network or dealers or A** then only these superb cars can make a mark in India.
Old 23rd February 2010, 15:30   #19
BHPian

Nissan has the Teana, X-Trail, 370z and Micra (soon) in the market. They need a compact sedan in the Dzire/Manza bracket to make a mark. Besides, Nissan recently has a JV with Ashok Leyland to manufacture trucks. That could become their main priority. Just a hunch.
Old 15th September 2010, 09:01   #20
BHPian

Nissan plans to produce nine models by 2012

Nissan Motor India Pvt. Limited (NMIPL), on Tuesday said that they are planning to line-up a total of nine models of cars by 2012, a top official of the company said.
Speaking to media-persons here, Kiminobu Tokuyama, Managing Director and CEO, said ‘our product launch plan to India is aggressive, as we have planned to line-up nine models by 2012, of which five models will be produced in India and four models will be the imports from Japan’
He said their first major milestone was to achieve sales of 1 lakh units a year by 2013 with over 100 dealerships in place.
Tokuyama said they have plans to launch the diesel version of the Micra, which the company was hoping to introduce in the domestic markets by the end of the current year.
After the successful launch of Nissan’s first product Micra, it was gearing up for the start of exports, he said, adding a formal announcement in this regard will be made in the near future.
However, they have plans to export the cars from India to over 100 countries including Europe, Middle East, and Africa, he said.
Pointing that 2010 has been an action-packed year for Nissan India, he said, “After inaugurating the First Alliance Global Plant-Renault Nissan Automotive India Pvt. Limited in March this year, we started the production of four first made in India, global compact car, the Nissan Micra”
The Micra was launched in the domestic market on July 15 this year and there was good response from the people as the company was able to sell 2110 units of Micra in just 45 days, he said.
Tokuyama said their order book has been progressively increasing and till date they have received 4000 bookings, exceeding the company’s expectations.
The company today have 20 dealers in operation in the country and have plans to make to 100 dealers by 2013, he said.
Earlier, Tokuyama inaugurated dealership, EVM Nissan, here, the second one in Kerala, after the first one at Kochi.
Abhijeet Pandit, Vice President, Sales, Marketing and After Sales, Hovar Automotive India, said “We thanks EVM Group for their valued support and patronage. We have been aggressively ramping up our dealership network across the country and going forward”.

Source : The Hindu : Business / Companies : Nissan plans to produce nine models by 2012

Note from Team-BHP Support : Threads merged. Please use the search feature before creating a new thread on a topic that might already exist. This will keep all the relevant information in one place and make it easier for readers in the future.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 15th September 2010 at 09:10. Reason: Please use search function before starting new threads on topics which might already exist.
Old 15th September 2010, 09:15   #21
Senior - BHPian

I'm failing to understand something here as how could Nissan launch 9 models by 2012. No!!! I don't doubt their capability, but this is what I'm thinking...

Currently they've 4 models; Micra, X-Trail, Teanna & 370Z, which makes them to launch 5 more in 2 years & 3 months. Lets take that they complete all 9 model launch by Dec 2012 (provided we survive 21-Dec, which is a different story altogether).

This means, Nissan should provide 5 new models in 27 months; which means, they're launching one new model less than every 6 months!!! Is my interpretation incorrect?
Old 15th September 2010, 10:25   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Currently they've 4 models; Micra, X-Trail, Teanna & 370Z, which makes them to launch 5 more in 2 years & 3 months. Lets take that they complete all 9 model launch by Dec 2012 (provided we survive 21-Dec, which is a different story altogether).

This means, Nissan should provide 5 new models in 27 months; which means, they're launching one new model less than every 6 months!!! Is my interpretation incorrect?
Couldnt it be like a new engine variant of the existing model? Like Micra Diesel could be counted as 1 product?

If this is the case, it could be just 2 more models with different engine options. May be a petrol 1.2, 1.4 and a diesel 1.4 or something for the same car! Just my thoughts!

I am sure they can bring in as many as 1 model every 6 months -- the problem is with the A** support! I just dont understand how can they set up 100 dealers in like just 1.5 years?? thats way too aggressive and also if not handled well, can rip Nissan apart.

Offtopic: Whats this Dec 21,2012 funda? SOmething in lines of the movie 2012 -- end of world of something [ i didnt watch the movie anyway] ?
Old 15th September 2010, 10:37   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
I am sure they can bring in as many as 1 model every 6 months -- the problem is with the A** support! I just dont understand how can they set up 100 dealers in like just 1.5 years?? thats way too aggressive and also if not handled well, can rip Nissan apart.
Exactly my thoughts too!!!
Most importantly, if they were to focus only on 1.2/1.4 engines & Micra, what about other segments? So, is each variant being considered as one new model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Offtopic: Whats this Dec 21,2012 funda?
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/shifti...end-world.html
Old 15th September 2010, 14:36   #24
BHPian

The total model line-up will consist of 9 models is what I can understand. Micra, Teana, X-trail and 370Z are already here. So I guess 5 more new models will come.
Old 15th September 2010, 15:25   #25
BHPian

The 5 new models could be Nissan Patrol, GTR, Altima, Micra sedan and a new sedan to compete against Civic/Corolla. The Altima sedan can be a huge hit if priced in the 15-17 lac range.
Old 15th September 2010, 19:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
The 5 new models could be Nissan Patrol, GTR, Altima, Micra sedan and a new sedan to compete against Civic/Corolla. The Altima sedan can be a huge hit if priced in the 15-17 lac range.

If I'm not wrong Altima in International market is same as Teanna in India. what they need is something like Versa ( in U.S. ) and Sentra ( In U.S. again) in both Petrol and Diesel.
Old 15th September 2010, 19:52   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dieseled View Post
If I'm not wrong Altima in International market is same as Teanna in India. what they need is something like Versa ( in U.S. ) and Sentra ( In U.S. again) in both Petrol and Diesel.
Teanna, according to me, is more like Maxima in US. However I do believe that these two cars are positioned too close to each other and there is almost nil chance of both being present, together, in a market like India. I am sure Sentra will be launched to take on Corolla and Civic. Versa can do well the Manza segment.
Old 15th September 2010, 20:25   #28
BHPian

Maxima, Teanna and Altima are based on the same platform. Maxima and Teana competes against the Accord/Camry in the international market. Atleast in the middle-eastern markets, Altima is in a segment between Civic and Accord.

AFAIK the Sentra is not sold outside US. Tiida is the Asian version of the Sentra,the HB version is really good but the sedan looks ugly. So, at present Nissan doesn't have a vehicle good enough to compete against Civic/Corolla sedan versions in their international lineup, so we will have to wait until a new one is released.
Old 16th September 2010, 02:27   #29
Senior - BHPian

The US spec Maxima will be a hit if introduced here instead of the frumpy Teana. Who's in charge of Nissan marketing here?.
Old 16th September 2010, 15:30   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
Maxima, Teanna and Altima are based on the same platform. Maxima and Teana competes against the Accord/Camry in the international market. Atleast in the middle-eastern markets, Altima is in a segment between Civic and Accord.

AFAIK the Sentra is not sold outside US. Tiida is the Asian version of the Sentra,the HB version is really good but the sedan looks ugly. So, at present Nissan doesn't have a vehicle good enough to compete against Civic/Corolla sedan versions in their international lineup, so we will have to wait until a new one is released.
The Sentra and Tiida are sold alongside in USA. The Tiida sedan is a segment below the Corolla while the Altima is a half segment above like you said. So a new Corolla killer coming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickatnite View Post
The US spec Maxima will be a hit if introduced here instead of the frumpy Teana. Who's in charge of Nissan marketing here?.
US spec Maxima has a 3.5L V6 from the 350Z (and front wheel drive). I don't see it achieving anything in india although it looks great. I hope they do a CKD of the Teana and X-trail.

How about a CKD 370Z for something like 30 lakhs? Too tempting!

Most Viewed