Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd October 2009, 23:33   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
If I could buy and was buying a Porsche, it'd be the sports cars (911, Boxter, Cayman, Carrera GT, etc.).
It's be the new 911 Sport Classic for me!
The best looking Porsche in their present line-up.
The Panamera looks ugly,fat and confused..this thing pales when compared to a Rapide or Estoque.
Old 3rd October 2009, 23:53   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
I think its the Porsche DNA not going well on an SUV. Mind you, its a fantastic car. Its only the looks and the overall character where its a bit awkward. If I could buy and was buying a Porsche, it'd be the sports cars (911, Boxter, Cayman, Carrera GT, etc.).
+1. you see all the while, porsche has been seen as the sports car and the typical design has always belonged to a sports coupe. Porsche made it their design DNA. they suddenly saw the world hogging on SUV's and they had to dip their feet in. thats where the marriage of the SUV (actually a VW Toureg) with the porsche design DNA happened and the result is very evident.
Old 4th October 2009, 00:45   #48
Senior - BHPian

This car is an eyesore. What's the point?.
Old 5th October 2009, 01:12   #49
BHPian

Fortunately most interested buyers waiting for the car have not found as many criticisms.
Nevertheless the real story is, its a Porsche, they make what they feel is right to make. And it sells.

Its every inch a Porsche. The front and rear fenders are higher. The bumpers have no grills and the exhaust remains Porsche style. The best part is, it drives like none 4seaters. Its not a luxury car with more power. It is a Sports car with 4 doors and luxury never seen before on a Porsche.
Although keep criticising.
Old 5th October 2009, 09:05   #50
Senior - BHPian

At few instances it reminds me of Cayenne.
Pic of the side profile is missing,in spite of this being a 4 door sports car.
Pls add the pic.
Old 5th October 2009, 10:03   #51
Senior - BHPian

Car looks awesome, but for that price I am still wondering who would want to buy a familly car. I mean those who splurge would not but a four seater family car instead buy a more spacious bigger SUVs, so that kids can play around.
For me a sport cum family car seems to be too niche a market to target.

Things I liked about the car.
The interiors of course looks awesme. Including the strong looking gear shift.

Things I was turned off ( mind you not that I was planning to buy the car anyway)
Huge middle portion between the rear-seat passengers. Come on, when you are trying to make it a four passenger vehicle the only motive is to target family, you can make them sit this far with so much space wasted in the rear, between the passengers.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:10   #52
BHPian

If I were you smalhotra_93, I would frame that invitation!! It is definitely an honor to be invited personally for that event. I didnt like the car though. I feel it looks hideous. Porsche should stick to making wonderful sports cars like the 911 Turbo rather than SUV's and tanks like this one. There are others like Land rover, Toyota and Nissan who can make the SUV's.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:22   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If I had to buy a 4 seater Porsche (highly unlikely), it would be the Cayenne Turbo over the Panamera.
Likewise.

The Cayenne is more suited for our roads and one would be able to use all that power better with higher GC. The Panamera would probably have to be restricted to a few roads to bring on it's potential such as the sealink, worli seaface, marine drive(to an extent) etc. The Panamera would struggle to be your daily drive, the Cayanne would serve you well in the day runs as well as be your party truck at night.
Old 6th October 2009, 12:49   #54
Senior - BHPian

A four door saloon from a Porsche and it comes with navigation on the dials. Interesting. The interiors are plush and the entire console is mouth watering. Nice.
Old 12th October 2009, 09:27   #55
BHPian

Great coverage of the launch guys....and it is interesting to see that no matter which Porsche it is,it is always a topic for conversation...which may explain their decision to go in for a hatchback...when everyone was expecting a proper sedan to take on the 7series or A8's of the world...and from whatever I have heard from people who have driven it (abroad), it is a true blood Porsche...one gentleman said the Turbo almost does a wheelie with launch control

Even I was at the launch and there were enough Porsches outside...including 2 911 turbos...lucky valets!

I was expecting Mr Singhania to show up in one of his supercars and very discreetly tried to see which car he was in leaving in....and it was a City!..well,you can never predict the rich I guess.
Old 20th October 2009, 03:54   #56
BHPian

WOW Price is 3 times higher in India than in North America. Would be easy for an importer to make money off this car.
Old 20th October 2009, 04:53   #57
BHPian

OK so many prefer the Aston Martin Rapide. It's cooler, better looking and has been styled to perfection. But here's the thing, it's much more expensive and much more exclusive. After all James Bond's never driven a Porsche!

So where's the competition? Maserati? It looks great but it's too compromised for being too sporty and not enough of a luxury car. Merc? BMW? Both make great cars but they aren't sporty looking enough. So the Porsche wins by default right?

Nope because there's a reason Aston Martin didn't make the Rapide cheaper. It's because they were once part of the same company as Jaguar and they've just launched the Alumium Jaguar XJ, which is sleek, lighter, roomier and quite possibly faster! Space, pace and grace = Jaguar NOT Porsche.
Old 28th October 2009, 08:31   #58
BHPian

Porsche Panamera

Hey guys yesterday I went to the porshce dealership in delhi and saw a panamera 4S parked@ their showroom...People Believe me, its a wonderful car and such Nice interiors . I immidiately called my friend who wanted to by one and again got a big time surprise, He Has allready bought one, Infact he has called me today to his house for a test drive of the same ....Will check if i will get sometime, would click some pics and post you guyz here...

Note from Team BHP Support:

Please use proper english and punctuation to type out your posts. Avoid typing ...like....this...
Attached Thumbnails
Report & Pics: Porsche Panamera launched in India-27102009.jpg  

Report & Pics: Porsche Panamera launched in India-27102009001.jpg  

Report & Pics: Porsche Panamera launched in India-27102009002.jpg  

Report & Pics: Porsche Panamera launched in India-27102009003.jpg  

Report & Pics: Porsche Panamera launched in India-27102009004.jpg  

Last edited by Dippy : 28th October 2009 at 17:14.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:11   #59
Senior - BHPian

Those buttons along the gear shaft looks like they got idea from Nokia phones

Would love to see more pix with people sitting in the rear; read it sits 2 comfortably.
Old 28th October 2009, 09:59   #60
BHPian

That center console looks like the interpretation of an Audi interior by an American designer.

The front looks nice but the back looks horrible. Remember the old Chrysler Crossfire - this looks worse than that. Jezza from Top Gear once said about the rear end of the Chrysler - it's like a dog running with its tail between its legs.

Isn't the Rapide competing in the same price bracket? I think the Aston walks all over this.

Most Viewed