Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2009, 11:00   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
The Sumo is about 500kgs lighter than the Endy so leaf springs are a bigger ride spoiler for it than for the endy. Going coil springs the way it is with the Safari would be ideal but is not really expected.

Actually with a 140 BHP 2.2 Dicor and 250 kgs wt less than the Safari than the Scropio the new Sumo Grand would be the fastest SUV this side of the Fortuner/ Endy. Should be able to do the 0-100 dash in about 12-13 sec.

Actually this is a bit scary given the existing suspension and brakes on the Grande, hope they do something to improve upto it.
Grande engine is detuned to 120 BHP ( not 140 as in Safari)

I did extensive test ride of Grande ( 10 -12 ) times back to back with Scorpio and Safari before I purchased Safari on broken mud roads belive me or not Grande was a lot better then Scorpio ( Xylo was not launched at that time) but I decided against Grande because the price of GX was too close to Safari LX and it get beaten hands down with Safari.

It was case of bad positioning and bad branding.

Grande actually has best in class 3ed row seating as TML claims , I measured leg space with a tape and compared it to Innova , specification wise it betters but the visual experience is not good and I am sure wife of every potential grande customer will veto and ask to wait some more time to up the budget for Innova.

Tata's had experience of SUV buyers ( Safari ) in mind while designing this and this segment moved to Scorpio at similar price point and Safari for a Lakh more , Sumo Buyers kept away due to price tag and MUV buyers moved to Innova for approx 2 lakhs more.

I think they should have targeted Innova buyers by improving the interiors and then showing how the 8 seater Grande is more comfortable just as M&M did 6 months later with Xylo.

Sumo tag worsened the situation. Grande was put up against likes of Innova ( 8 seats) and could not entusise this category but the badge it carries.

The main shortcomings of grande

1. Thick C pillors restrict the rear visibility while this is OK for SUV drivers who are use Left OVRM properly it is a big no for people graduating from Sedans / Hatch to 8 seater for large family requirement.

2. Larger gear throw , It was just a matter of gear leaver design by increasing the curve in the gear leaver rod they could have decreased the gear throw to level of Innova comfirting the target segment.

3. Poor Plastics again comparison with Innova.

Last edited by amitk26 : 6th October 2009 at 11:02.
amitk26 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2009, 12:15   #47
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitk26 View Post
Grande engine is detuned to 120 BHP ( not 140 as in Safari)
If you were to relook at the thread a NEW PLANNED SUMO GRANDE variant with a most likely 140 BHP non detuned Safari version is being discussed, not the earlier 120 BHP. My comment was in that respect.

Also Interior Quality improvements and Exterior Look changes are planned.
Old 14th October 2009, 10:38   #48
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by condor View Post
@ACM, looks like you have mixed up the Kerb weights & the Gross Vehicle weight. The Sumo & the Endy are approximately 1850 kg's, while the Sumo Grande is about 1950 kg's. The Endy's figures are a surprised when you look at it's physical dimensions.

I will not be surprised with any one springing up in disagreement of this, but pls do go back & check : I know how much my truck weighs, and have compared the spec sheet of the Endy very recently.

TATA Motors - SUMO Grande - Specification
1940 sumo kerb wt.

Ford - Ford Endeavour Specification Data
Endy 3.0 - kerb wt. 2014
Endy 2.5 - kerb wt. 1879

Yep you are right, none the less the 140 BHP Safari engine dicor variant in the Sumo would see it come very close to at least the Endy 2.5 (both with leaf springs, both with front facing 7 seats, both without 4 wheel drive (in the endy 2.5) and possibly if the Grande ups the game both with ABS.)

Now only hoping for better interiors.

Last edited by ACM : 14th October 2009 at 10:39. Reason: typo

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks