Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

View Poll Results: Petra 1.6 ELX or Baleno LXi ?
Petra 1.6 ELX 64 47.06%
Baleno LXi 72 52.94%
Voters: 136. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2005, 12:38   #211
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Santosh, the prices look quite reasonable. The price for tubeless appears to be on higher side if this is exchange price. It should not exceed 7K. Check on that. For alloys, they would start from 16K to 20K depending on which type do you go for. Neo,Traxx, Aura are some good brands. About Tyres, depends on what you are looking for. Bridgestones are supposedly long lasting, Michelins more silent and offer better grip, while good year protenza's seem to be favourites of this forum. There was another thread on tyres, make sure you check it out.

P.S.: Make sure that you stay away from certain infamous Maruti dealers in Bangalore. Talk to other Baleno owners about their sales experience and then decide your dealer.

Hey rx135, good that you warned me.... I have never heard of bad maruti dealers here so far. and yes, I do need some serious reading through threads related to wheels and other accessories as well.... will do that as I find time over the weekend.
Old 28th October 2005, 14:57   #212
BHPian

BTW, what is Power Window Relay? Why do you need it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamborghini
5 multispoke BUSA alloys finished in hypersilver would be for 13K so 18.5K is a RIP OFF.
@lamborghini, where do you get these in Mumbai?

Thanks
Old 28th October 2005, 15:41   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer
BTW, what is Power Window Relay? Why do you need it?

Thanks
If you want power windows to be automatically rolled up whenever you lock doors, otherwise you have to do it yourself
Old 28th October 2005, 15:53   #214
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santosh.s
If you want power windows to be automatically rolled up whenever you lock doors, otherwise you have to do it yourself
You know even I was considering to get a power relay installed. Then with experience I saw that there is actually no need to open windows (atleast in NCR). In summers you switch on the AC so the windows are closed. In winters its cold outside so the windows are not open. In the mid-season (and also in summers and winters) you keep the windows closed anyhow to avoid dust, noise and pollution. I have actually never felt the need to get a power relay installed even though it sounds and looks great.
Old 28th October 2005, 16:50   #215
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By looking at your avatar, it seems you are the one who is refferred to as "the old man" in tbhp, aren't you ??
Umm...you goofed it up big time. Lambo is one of the youngest (but coming to cars, don't go by his age) around here.

There are few words to draw attention of "Old man of T-BHP", such as 'Camera','car care','lenses','Amby','Malt' et.al. Try that and you'll know him soon.
Old 28th October 2005, 17:41   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Umm...you goofed it up big time. Lambo is one of the youngest (but coming to cars, don't go by his age) around here.

There are few words to draw attention of "Old man of T-BHP", such as 'Camera','car care','lenses','Amby','Malt' et.al. Try that and you'll know him soon.

That was just a wild guess
Old 29th October 2005, 19:01   #217
Senior - BHPian

I Paid around 26 k for tyres and alloys + balancing + valves..in exchange of my original Rims and tyres...(Goodyear Eagle NCT5 185/65 R 14 and I am rather satisfied with their ride..though always remember,..stock 165/80 R 13 will provide the best ride).
for aloys, I usd LG 194 (League alloys..a taiwanese co) http://www.league.com.tw/passenger08.html I have the model LG 194.
Also got a Spoiler fitted for around 3.1 k (looks similar to Vxi spoiler).
I have not gone in for headlamp upgade yet...did that in my uno and it fades the reflector over time since there is too much heat produced
Old 11th November 2005, 20:37   #218
Senior - BHPian

Guys, booked silky-silver baleno LXI some time back!!!

Both myself and my better-half (so called ) were skeptical about tbhp favorite black.... the contrast created by shiny white/silver alloys looks excellent but, at times dark all around looks gloomy (our personal opinion!) Chose silky silver as opposed to pearl since it has more glaze... because baleno is knon to look dull or faded. Also silky shade (whitish) goes well with default interiors, upholstery and alloys or wheel-caps for that matter!

Intentionally kept the delivery date little late (after 1st week of dec) in view of the news about fiesta launch and signs of new lease of life to fiat india but its very unlikely that I will actually reconsider my choice....

Can somebody from bangalore suggest me some nice places for alloys/tyres and other accessories here? quotes from maruti dealers that I had mentioned earlier seem to be consistent among various other dealers, so I am planning to get a deal outside

Is there any risk in terms of warranty if I put non-MGA wheels ? A person in the accessaries dept. told that the warranty on the suspension will be under threat, whereas the sales guy said one need not worry about common things like wheels, tyres, music systems etc. But due to contradicting inputs, i am not convinced either way.... many baleno owners here have used non-MGA alloys, music systems etc. so I presume this should not be a serious issue with the warranty.
What is tbhp's view on this?? ... please
Old 11th November 2005, 23:05   #219
BHPian

Quote:
Chose silky silver as opposed to pearl since it has more glaze... because baleno is knon to look dull or faded.
Yeah, why does Baleno look dull? Is the due to some outdated color technology?

Thnx
Old 12th November 2005, 10:31   #220
BHPian

i went for the baleno as its a much better car over all then the petra (thats my opinion)
Old 14th November 2005, 01:21   #221
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Guys, booked silky-silver baleno LXI some time back!!!

Both myself and my better-half (so called ) were skeptical about tbhp favorite black.... the contrast created by shiny white/silver alloys looks excellent but, at times dark all around looks gloomy (our personal opinion!) Chose silky silver as opposed to pearl since it has more glaze... because baleno is knon to look dull or faded. Also silky shade (whitish) goes well with default interiors, upholstery and alloys or wheel-caps for that matter!

Intentionally kept the delivery date little late (after 1st week of dec) in view of the news about fiesta launch and signs of new lease of life to fiat india but its very unlikely that I will actually reconsider my choice....

Can somebody from bangalore suggest me some nice places for alloys/tyres and other accessories here? quotes from maruti dealers that I had mentioned earlier seem to be consistent among various other dealers, so I am planning to get a deal outside

Is there any risk in terms of warranty if I put non-MGA wheels ? A person in the accessaries dept. told that the warranty on the suspension will be under threat, whereas the sales guy said one need not worry about common things like wheels, tyres, music systems etc. But due to contradicting inputs, i am not convinced either way.... many baleno owners here have used non-MGA alloys, music systems etc. so I presume this should not be a serious issue with the warranty.
What is tbhp's view on this?? ... please
Sales guys told me the warrantly is void... ( I also have after market league alloys http://www.league.com.tw/passenger06.html and look at lg194 an Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 185/65 R 14 ) on my Baleno Lxi...suggest yuo fix up and excahnge date with some tyrewallah in advance so that you get maximum money for your OE tyres.)

However, now my Maruti service manager tells me it does not affect the warranty at all apart from the warranty on teh alloys per se since they did not sell them (which is fair)...

..so clearly...the sales persons want to make maximum money and talk about things like warranty....while they have little clue on waht they are actually talking about.
Old 14th November 2005, 12:53   #222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffetfan
Sales guys told me the warrantly is void... ( I also have after market league alloys http://www.league.com.tw/passenger06.html and look at lg194 an Goodyear Eagle NCT 5 185/65 R 14 ) on my Baleno Lxi...suggest yuo fix up and excahnge date with some tyrewallah in advance so that you get maximum money for your OE tyres.)

However, now my Maruti service manager tells me it does not affect the warranty at all apart from the warranty on teh alloys per se since they did not sell them (which is fair)...

..so clearly...the sales persons want to make maximum money and talk about things like warranty....while they have little clue on waht they are actually talking about.

I agree.... apart from persuading not-to-do regarding wheels, they also also did the opposite for putting power window relays.... they claimed that even those relays are non-MGA, they are compatible with the MGA security system and can be fitted WITOUT any cutting (through clamp fittings) ! I believe it should be safe then, if there is no cutting (of wiring) involved.

The price that you paid (24k) seems to be close to my quotes, and I feel getting it from MGA would be better in that case (they offered 5% discount on what I had mentioned). But I know that there are only a few choices of alloy designs.... your choice of design is great! and league seems to offer plenty of varieties, at least on the web-page Now, you had also mentioned about balancing + valve inclusive.... balancing must be for new wheels, and "valves" must not be referring to engine valves which have nothing to do with wheel modifications.... whats that? please elaborate (I am an illiterate here!!)

I think wheel caps or alloy design can drastically change any cars look and feel. This is especially apparent when I see an accent without wheel caps.... it doesn't look much better than stock baleno!! even half wheel covers common on small cars like indica make them look better. I wonder why can't MUL put a decent full-wheel cap on baleno.... even the one they provide for esteem doesn't look good.... too many spokes crowded together.... 5-8 spokes look good (IMHO!) Also their older baleno-VXI alloy wasn't good, the current 14" is much better....

@ headlights, from the knowledge I have gathered so far, I think super-eficient philips crystal-vision lamps is a better way to go as it shall give enough light (if not at par with 100/90W bulbs). Apart from saving the reflector from extra heat and original wiring from the extra load, I guess it can save us from relays... & traffic cops too since its wattage is within "legal" limits

I have more querries about wheel modification, but will find a suitable thread to post in accessories section.... this one is already tending to go little off-topic!!
Old 27th November 2005, 22:06   #223
Senior - BHPian

By valves I meant the ones used to fill air...you need them in tubelsee tyres as there is no tube to carry them...they get fitted on the rim and cost about Rs 120/piece or so...
Old 27th November 2005, 23:14   #224
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Topic has been discussed at length. This thread is closed
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks