Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 24th October 2009, 11:16   #241
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
IMO, a 3 cylinder motor is normally noisy with low refinement.
True, to a marginal extent.
A tad more noisy and lesser refined as compared to the 4 cyl K series engines. (Am speaking from the Fabia experience. However, windows rolled up, it is dead silent.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crank View Post
Any other disadvantages having a 3 cyclinder one in Polo when compared to the 4 cylinder multijet doing duty in other premium hatchbacks?
None actually.
It delivers far better torque (close to 110 Nm @ 3000 rpm) and a good FE. I easily get 12-13 kmpl in Mumbai city traffic.

I am guessing it is going to be the same 1.2 VW engine (as in the Fabia) plonked into the Polo with some ECM/ECU tweaks.
Old 24th October 2009, 16:13   #242
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajivn View Post
1) Base 1.2L Petrol : The base Polo will come with 3 cylinder 1.2Litre motor with an updated engine management system to offer better response and marginally more power. This engine will be BSIV complaint from the start. VW has pegged the base Polo at 4.34Lakhs (ex-showroom Delhi).

2) 1.2 L TDI - 1.2L TDI developing 74bhp is also expected for Rs 4.99 Lakhs. This all new 3 cylinder diesel motor promises class leading fuel economy and is likely to be the mainstay of the Polo range.

3) 1.6L Petrol - Range topper will be 1.6 petrol that develops a healthy 100bhp and is aimed at those looking for a fully loaded hot hatch. The Polo's 1.6 is futuristic and meets the latest emission standards.
1) I am sure this will not give adequate performance as compared to its competition. The European cars are known to be on the heavier side and I think Polo is also on the heavier side. This engine will not be sufficient for this car.

Internationally the 1.2 is available in two configurations : 60 bhp and 70 bhp.

2) A larger motor with more power would be better. The three cylinder engine = less refinement as compared to Swift/Rtiz range that have very good refinement ( at that price point ).

Internationally Polo is not available with 1.2 diesel.

3) VW is selling old 1.6 in Jetta. And they will bring a new 1.6 for Polo ? I wonder if this will actually happen.

Internationally, Polo is not available with 1.6 petrol.

I wonder if VW actually spent time to provide Polo with two engines that were not available in range internationally.
Just for reference, the 1.2 70PS polo weighs 1092 kg ( Source UK website ), the 1.6 TDI, 90PS weighs 1182 kg.
Compared to competition, IMO, more powerful setup in the under small petrol line up would be helpful.

What we need is a 1.2 TSI, this car can be a winner with this motor.

Last edited by aaggoswami : 24th October 2009 at 16:26.
Old 24th October 2009, 16:21   #243
Senior - BHPian

Wow I'm happy the 1.6 is making it. Seems like a good model line up. Good looks, build, ride and handling and an engine for every type of buyer.
Old 24th October 2009, 16:26   #244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
1) I am sure this will not give adequate performance as compared to its competition. The European cars are known to be on the heavier side and I think Polo is also on the heavier side. This engine will not be sufficient for this car.

What we need is a 1.2 TSI, this car can be a winner with this motor.

Absolutely spot on! Also VW cars are notoriously 'over-engineered' and even if they price it correct am not too optimistic about after sales and costs of spares,etc.

Yeah 1.2 TSI will be terrific.
But I guess it is going to be the diesel that will do good to the sales figures. A VW diesel in all probability will be perceived 'superior/prestigious' to an equivalent suzuki. People here do tend to dish out much more just for a 'supposedly more prestigious' badge.

Still, in all probability the POLO shall be seen as a 'premium' offering and won't affect the 'regular' hatchbacks much.

Regards.

Last edited by YC.BALENO.CHD : 24th October 2009 at 16:27.
Old 24th October 2009, 20:36   #245
Team-BHP Support

The VW Downtown showroom salesman was saying (fairly confidently) that the Polo will come with the 1.2 / 1.4 TSI engines for the petrols. While personally I find that difficult to believe, I really hope its true.

I guess we'll only know closer to the launch for sure ... unless anyone has definitive inside dope.
Old 24th October 2009, 21:10   #246
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by YC.BALENO.CHD View Post
Absolutely spot on! Also VW cars are notoriously 'over-engineered' and even if they price it correct am not too optimistic about after sales and costs of spares,etc.

Yeah 1.2 TSI will be terrific.
But I guess it is going to be the diesel that will do good to the sales figures. A VW diesel in all probability will be perceived 'superior/prestigious' to an equivalent suzuki. People here do tend to dish out much more just for a 'supposedly more prestigious' badge.

Still, in all probability the POLO shall be seen as a 'premium' offering and won't affect the 'regular' hatchbacks much.

Regards.
Couldn't have said it better myself! I sincerely hope they introduce the TSI motors in the Polos here. It would, in all probability, kill the sales of many other hatchbacks in India. However, they should price it competitively and offer excellent after sales/service backup, etc. Launching a good car in India would win you only half the battle! Or they might suffer the same fate Fiat had to deal with. I wouldn't like to see VW tie up with any company in India in a bid to bounce back. Fiat have bounced back IMO but what they went through could have been totally avoided.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 24th October 2009 at 21:13.
Old 24th October 2009, 21:48   #247
Senior - BHPian

aggoswami, there is a 1.6 petrol sold internationally. Apparently, it is sold in South Africa.

As for the TSI, it certainly isn't coming. That is probably because it is simply too expensive and not well suited to our conditions. The Polo may be a winner on the forum if it had the TSI but when it comes to the real buyers, the diesel and cheap petrols matter more.

Last edited by McLaren Rulez : 24th October 2009 at 21:50.
Old 25th October 2009, 02:43   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post
The VW Downtown showroom salesman was saying (fairly confidently) that the Polo will come with the 1.2 / 1.4 TSI engines for the petrols. While personally I find that difficult to believe, I really hope its true.

I guess we'll only know closer to the launch for sure ... unless anyone has definitive inside dope.
i am praying to god what he says would be true.. guys think about it. maybe they learned from the mistakes from the 1.4 petrol skoda fabia disaster.

maybe they can properly tune the engine according to the fuel quality. and can really bring out the direct injection TSI engines. take for example the skoda 1.8TSI. you have the variant here already! same engine is also being used for audi too. and the 2.0 TSI for audi is also available in india!!

i don't see any problems for the 1.2 TSI engines.
Old 25th October 2009, 09:48   #249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
i don't see any problems for the 1.2 TSI engines.
Does the TSI not need higher quality fuel (RON 95 or something - pardon my ignorance)? If so then such fuel stations may not be available everywhere thus either limiting sales or resulting in engine breakdowns.

We possibly need sidindica to clear the air on what's coming

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 25th October 2009 at 09:50.
Old 25th October 2009, 09:57   #250
BHPian

Hopefully VW will retune TSI engines to run on 91 Octane which is the standard fuel in India.

Also VW will have the best brand value among the small cars as the Japanese and Korean cars no match for German engineering. But Japanese and Korean cars will have the upper hand in their sales and service setup. Also VW maintenance costs will be higher.

But if I have to go for another car, I will go for VW.

By the way - Tera kya hoga Jazz?
Old 25th October 2009, 11:38   #251
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akj53 View Post
Hopefully VW will retune TSI engines to run on 91 Octane which is the standard fuel in India.

Also VW will have the best brand value among the small cars as the Japanese and Korean cars no match for German engineering. But Japanese and Korean cars will have the upper hand in their sales and service setup. Also VW maintenance costs will be higher.

But if I have to go for another car, I will go for VW.

By the way - Tera kya hoga Jazz?

The standard Octane rating is not 91 but 87. I'm not entirely sure but this is what I've read and heard from reliable sources. And Japanese technology and engineering is almost as good as German engineering IMO. I agree with you on everything else.
Old 25th October 2009, 14:05   #252
BHPian

What fuel does the Laura / Superb TSI engines run on ?

It shouldnt be a big deal to make it work here.
But if it does come, expect it to be a damn costly hatch ! Jazz will have competition here
Old 27th October 2009, 11:56   #253
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe77 View Post

If this happens then Polo will be a sure shot winner. Anything else, it may lose out to Maruti & Hyundai. VW should not do the same mistake it did with Fabia.
Old 27th October 2009, 12:35   #254
Senior - BHPian

• 1.2 3 cylinder petrol with 65ps
  • 1.4 TDi diesel (not sure if it is CRDi or PD) with 70 ps
  • 1.6 petrol expected after 5 months of launch
  • variants can be named trendline, comfortline and comfortline+
Old 27th October 2009, 13:01   #255
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
  • 1.2 3 cylinder petrol with 65ps
  • 1.4 TDi diesel (not sure if it is CRDi or PD) with 70 ps
With those engines, it will only work if priced as a budget car competing with Swift/Indica.

But it seems about right, it's completely unrealistic to expect a high tech engine with DSG box etc for 6 L, considering what kind of gear you get for high prices on the Fabia or Jetta.

Last edited by chncar : 27th October 2009 at 13:03.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks