Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd September 2009, 13:41   #106
BHPian

Thank you to all,

Forgot to mention, the guys were mentioning that the Launch is planned in the first quarter of the next year.
My take on the same is, it may be a bit earlier as they havent bothered to mask these cars & the teaser ads are out at Delhi airport...
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:08   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit View Post
EDIT: In the first two pictures, there is a co-passenger in the car. Where did he disappear in the rest of the pictures?
Amit, I think you missed Rossi's note that it was a convoy of 10 Polos.

Also the Polo on the 1st & 2nd photo [same car] is different from the other ones [notice the wheels; the 1st car (on photo 1 & 2] has wheel caps {or alloys} whereas the other one without co-passenger has blacked out steel wheels.
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:14   #108
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankmehta View Post
Got this information from a trusted source.
This car is being launched in The first quarter of next year. No chance of it comin this year.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossi View Post
Thank you to all,

Forgot to mention, the guys were mentioning that the Launch is planned in the first quarter of the next year.
My take on the same is, it may be a bit earlier as they havent bothered to mask these cars & the teaser ads are out at Delhi airport...
So thats couple of confirmations for first quarter now
Nice pics Rossi!

Honestly the car looks boring to me(maybe its the Punto and i20 effect).
Maybe the engine and features might attract me towards it but the styling is really boring(or i may say its lack of styling).
Old 22nd September 2009, 14:45   #109
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
But is it only me or is it that the car looks very ordinary and convectional without any stylistic details? It clearly looks like a no-nonsense practical car rather than a stylish urban hatchback like the punto or the i20.
The great multi-national short-change of the indian consumer continues.
Whatever (styling) details we have had by way of the international press and even our own so-called experts who do the rounds of foreign shores with cameras in tow have fed us a diet of expectation that somehow, yet again, does not seem to be matched on the ground.
At least in the international spec, bigger wheels, smoked lenses, fog lamps, chrome detailing et al do their bit to spruce up what is actually a fairly restrained styling job.
Out here, this looks worse than an indica (no offense), and I would not pay a premium of any kind for this. My Palio looks better than this right now, and its 6 years old, so what am I getting that is new and better?
All talk of a Highline version is bovine waste. Even the Jetta tops out at Comfortline, and they use Trendline plastics on the interiors to keep costs down. Only the Passats have a Highline in this country.
The Polo version here with alloys still have black OVRMs, and no visible fogs. So this cannot even be Comfortline in my estimation! I dread to think what horrors lurk inside the cabin. For example, I do not see a third (middle) head restraint on the back bench.
If you go back a couple of posts in this thread, you will notice certain observations I made with respect to the light clusters, especially. These pics are clearer and seem to bear those observations out.
The turn lamp in the front has moved up towards the grill. I think the dual parabolic lamps have given way to a single lens, with the other now accommodating the turn lamp. The styling elements inside with the smoked lens has disappeared. The rear cluster is similarly disappointing. There seems to be none of the styling elements seen on the international version barring overall shape. Even the height of the turn/reverse segment is higher in the Indian spec. Obviously, that meant modifying the brake lamp bit!
The sooner our ****** government does away with its ludicrous duty structure, the sooner we shall be able to get our money's worth.

Last edited by crackingride : 22nd September 2009 at 15:05.
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:25   #110
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Out here, this looks worse than an indica (no offense), and I would not pay a premium of any kind for this. My Palio looks better than this right now, and its 6 years old, so what am I getting that is new and better?
I agree with you on the above point. Was sharing these pics with my colleagues & they were of the opinion that the palio looks better, one went to the extent of saying that at certain angles this looks like an indica
Old 22nd September 2009, 15:29   #111
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

nice find and nice pictures

am sure this will do well if priced right and if they are generous with the OEM equipment levels.

with VW Im sure new benchmarks will be set in terms of quality (at least quality as we in India understand it).
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:07   #112
Senior - BHPian

I can forsee a poll coming up : Fiat Grande Punto 1.4 T-Jet V/s VW Polo 1.2 TSi.
Old 22nd September 2009, 17:53   #113
BHPian

I sure hope VW retains most of the nicer features in the 2009 European Polo in a top of the range variant for the Indian market. I would not buy this car if it did not have a turbocharged engine, the nicely detailed lights, climate control, high quality plastics and disc brakes for the front AND rear wheels. And if DSG is on offer in India I would buy this car instantly.

I don't think VW should be reluctant to price the top end variant a shade below 10L. We are smart enough to convert European prices into Indian Rupees. If that's how much a well specified Polo costs, there are many of us who will gladly pay the price. I want a real Volkswagen, not a dumbed-down, cheapened, Loganised version.

Last edited by theEnd : 22nd September 2009 at 17:55.
Old 22nd September 2009, 18:17   #114
Senior - BHPian

Initially, I was really excited to see the pics! Thanks a lot Rossi

but after reading the discussion about how its gonna be 'yet another Maruti/tata' I'm really disappointed.

I've been waiting sooo long for the perfect hatch, but it seems I'll die waiting! :(

Last edited by sohail99 : 22nd September 2009 at 18:19.
Old 22nd September 2009, 20:53   #115
Team-BHP Support

Have been reading about the Polo 1.6 D. The testers say the engine spoils the car. They all prefer the new Fiesta build quality apart
Old 22nd September 2009, 21:39   #116
Senior - BHPian

Even though the car looks ordinary, I think it has only two main changes. Alloys (smaller for our roads) and the white headlights.
Old 22nd September 2009, 22:49   #117
BHPian

Quote:
Great scoop Rossi, congrats!

But is it only me or is it that the car looks very ordinary and convectional without any stylistic details? It clearly looks like a no-nonsense practical car rather than a stylish urban hatchback like the punto or the i20.
+1. From the pics it does seem rather ordinary. Wonder if its cos of no wheel caps/alloys? The Punto would definitely stand out as a much better looking car IMO
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:06   #118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Even though the car looks ordinary, I think it has only two main changes. Alloys (smaller for our roads) and the white headlights.
taillamps are bit different too. international cars have more clear glass.
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:27   #119
Senior - BHPian

NDTV footage on youtube showed that Polo will also be available in 1.6 Petrol!?

(and no auto-transmission initially)
Old 22nd September 2009, 23:40   #120
BHPian

Why do they do this to us.

Quote:
Seeing the Polo in the pictures and its specifications make me pray/wish harder for the Punto with the 1.6JTD engine. When will FIAT wake up to Punto's true potential? Probably when the duty structure favouring diesel engines below 1.5 liters is withdrawn by Govt. of India.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks