Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 23rd September 2009, 05:34   #121
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Great scoop Rossi, congrats!

But is it only me or is it that the car looks very ordinary and convectional without any stylistic details? It clearly looks like a no-nonsense practical car rather than a stylish urban hatchback like the punto or the i20.
Quote:
Originally Posted by McLaren Rulez View Post
Just wish they'd retained the blacked headlamps.
fully agree.. only this one detail has made the polo look so plain! It looks like a distant cousin of the Indica.

Man, if I buy the polo sedan (which I'm planning to), the first thing I'll do is to get those blackened head lamps.
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:00   #122
Senior - BHPian

I somehow agree to the looks department {no way it looks indica but if you really take into consideration the design house, Indica might have been the scrapped draft of Punto}.

Polo is understated, it was supposed to be as its elder brother Golf was the preferred and distinguished son in the family. Polo was is meant to be shy, coy and obedient while Golf is the aggressive, maverick and loud.

But Polo's age better and Jetta is Golf with boot. Polo's boot version I have not seen in Germany or might have missed completely. The looks just changed with additional wheelbase nothing else. My friend had a new Polo in Denmark and it was almost same (slightly bigger) as the 8 year old Polo his wife had. They were happy with the design as this made them gel in the Scandinavian culture of being understated.

The headlamps were always meant to be clear with dual projector style and the latest one had chrome insets to make it lively. No body change was done and the rear lamps too had the LEDs and style that is now standard in complete VW family. Polo too gets nice angled highlight inside the age old lamp cluster.

Bad thing, not really. Old yes, the design of the car is ancient. But for India its new.

If you remember the Zen when it was launched was rejected as compared to Maruti 1000. But sales picked up once Esteem was made expensive. The looks that people initially called boring and rounded were tagged cute and jelly bean styling. Its all marketing and viral info that creates and impact. Then again if Maruti can sell 20 years old designs with minor changes then why cant VW.

Not many designs age well. Look at the Hyundai Sonata that was almost copy of Jag. Jag still aged gracefully while Sonata looks are simply awful at this day and age. Audi from that same era remains current [no disrespect meant for any owner]. Older versions of Corolla and Civics are nothing better than Esteem.

I agree that we as a car loving nation are coming out of the nascent stage, and so the government should think ahead of time.

IMHO VW with the new tech 1.2 TFI engine will be an instant hit.
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:15   #123
BHPian

Isnt the Polo smaller than a Indica and Swift? Going by the dimensions of the european version it is small.
Old 23rd September 2009, 13:26   #124
Senior - BHPian

I think the Polo will be easily more spacious than the Swift and at least on par with the Vista. The Polo is a great launch in India, but elsewhere the new Fiesta is easily the benchmark looks, quality and performance wise. That said if priced right the Polo has a lot of pros that the Indian consumers will love, one is VWs strength as a diesel engine maker, space and their ride quality. Here a link to the Autocar TD

Volkswagen Polo 1.2 SE - Autocar.co.uk
Old 23rd September 2009, 14:08   #125
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortbread View Post
The version they tested cost around 8.5 lac and i am not sure how they are going to make the starting price at 4.35.When i had look at Fabia it is priced similar to Polo so we can except a starting price may be at 5 and not less than this.
I wish they bring the interior similar to the UK spec. The boot looks bigger but i think its without the spare wheel.
Old 23rd September 2009, 22:45   #126
BHPian

Polo...a Indica? I doubt. The new version of the European Polo and the pictures posted here have strong resemblance except for few minor variations.

Bilder > Galleri > Nya Polo > Modeller > Volkswagen Personbilar
Old 23rd September 2009, 23:19   #127
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
The version they tested cost around 8.5 lac and i am not sure how they are going to make the starting price at 4.35.When i had look at Fabia it is priced similar to Polo so we can except a starting price may be at 5 and not less than this.
I wish they bring the interior similar to the UK spec. The boot looks bigger but i think its without the spare wheel.
Well - they will cut off a lot of bells and whistles. For starters the UK model is probably manufactured in South Africa and transportation costs have to be figured in. The car must have 6 airbags as standard - the Indian one will have 2. Besides almost all parts for the Indian version will be locally sourced which also drives down costs substantially.
Old 24th September 2009, 16:40   #128
Senior - BHPian

i think this is the base version. the tail lamp is also simple unlike international version
Attached Thumbnails
Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-24092009.jpg  

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-24092009002.jpg  

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-24092009004.jpg  

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-24092009001.jpg  

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-24092009003.jpg  

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-polo.jpg  

Old 24th September 2009, 16:58   #129
Senior - BHPian

Nice pics there tushky.
Seems like the Base version has dual tone interiors with rear spoilers.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:15   #130
BHPian

After shouting myself hoarse that the light clusters have changed for the worse on the India spec Polo, this is shattering confirmation of the con-job I was hoping to avoid, but still expecting.
The pathetic interiors are more in the same vein, with mismatched silver door release, "up market" beige interiors, and would you look at the instrument cluster and wheel? What are we supposed to do with the centre console, bring our own knobs and buttons??
Disappointed is too anemic a word to describe my feelings at the moment.
If the top end variant looks anything like this ( and I see no reason for the lights to be different for different variants), then I for one see more value in the Fabia Elegance.

Last edited by crackingride : 24th September 2009 at 17:23.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:28   #131
BHPian

Like the front and side profile of the car. But rear is sad and so are the interiors. Hope the engines are exciting atleast.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:31   #132
Senior - BHPian

i can see there is bucket on parcel tray. so the boot should be big.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:38   #133
BHPian

Thanks for the pics Tushky,

Dosen't the Dashboard & the Center console looks very much like the Grande Punto or is it only me feeling like that

The Headlamps are also different from the International Version.

Last edited by sharma_sanjeevi : 24th September 2009 at 17:41.
Old 24th September 2009, 17:38   #134
Senior - BHPian

Pathetic! Shoddy quality!
This is not a VW anymore.
Old 24th September 2009, 18:34   #135
Senior - BHPian

If you pretend this pic is not that of a VW, the interiors and plastics and fabric look like Maruti's! All of us expected a lot better from VW! But I guess this is what they can give when it's built to a price of 4.5.

Last edited by Gilead : 24th September 2009 at 18:35.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed