Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 25th September 2009, 13:10   #151
BHPian

You know what guys,the car is sold as the silent,conservative brother of the aggressive, flamboyant Golf in all other parts of the world.
This apart the problem with "new " cars is - lets face it ,we as a nation are way way under developed in the automotive field, big car giants are still pessimistic about India, when they launch a car the price plays a huge factor (only factor far 90%) so when a co. like VW, which is still felling its feet in India cant afford to place the Polo anywhere above the Ritz/Punto/Fabia because as far as i know they are its peers.
So i think they were in a fix and opted the "cost cut" strategy for the long term because, if the price the polo like the jazz, in future if they plan to bring the Golf,it would have to be absurdly priced!!

P.S Just speaking my mind.

Last edited by pusako : 25th September 2009 at 13:13.
Old 25th September 2009, 14:41   #152
Senior - BHPian

The exterior was a disappointment and now interiors too.
Its too damn bland.
Looks more like a Maruti product then a VW product.
If this really is been given here then god save them!
Old 25th September 2009, 23:58   #153
Senior - BHPian

Plain Jane is what it can be described in 2 words. The design looks quite dated as compared to the new gen curvy cars.
Looking at this car it looks like VW can launch this at a Sub 4.00 lac price tag.
Old 26th September 2009, 02:30   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusako View Post
You know what guys,the car is sold as the silent,conservative brother of the aggressive, flamboyant Golf in all other parts of the world.
I would hardly call the Golf "aggressive" or "flamboyant". The Golf, just like the Polo, is a "silent" and "conservative" car. If there's anything in the VW range that is aggressive and flamboyant, its the Scirocco.

I do agree with crackingride that there's no point in calling this a Polo, if its going to be launched with the same level of trim as suggested by these latest photographs. Might as well call it the Rabbit, or Tortoise or something along those lines.

I'm still keeping my fingers crossed for a high-end variant with none of these compromised features (i.e. same as the Euro-spec Polo).
Old 26th September 2009, 08:48   #155
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tushky View Post
i think this is the base version. the tail lamp is also simple unlike international version
typical german design. I'd say, don't judge too much on the interior quality as yet as this is a test mule and its common to see ill fitting parts etc coz the testing team removes all panels to fit gauges to check for NVH all over the car. My friend used to drive these test mule cars for VW for quite some time and hence, my source of info is trusted. However, as for the taillamps, well, the accountant came up with that idea for sure!! it looks like the lens cover on the laura.
Old 26th September 2009, 11:29   #156
BHPian

I saw this same model in the showroom here in stockholm. With a 1.4 engine. Not sure if it was petrol or diesel. The car is a typical VW and has a understated design. The fit and finish were excellent through VW had all black interiors here. May be it will change in India.

It is smaller than a Indica. On the looks front we cant compare this car to an Indica or any of the Hyundai. No way.
Old 26th September 2009, 13:23   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusako View Post
when they launch a car the price plays a huge factor (only factor far 90%) so when a co. like VW, which is still felling its feet in India cant afford to place the Polo anywhere above the Ritz/Punto/Fabia because as far as i know they are its peers.

But the interior of Ritz/punto/Fabia is far more better the what we are seeing the pic.

see the below pic there is big gap below the steering fit. and This what we are going to get for 4.5 lac

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-240920092800129.jpg
Old 26th September 2009, 16:21   #158
BHPian

This looks like the base model. Let's hope the top end ones have all the right things at the correct price. I am hopeful. No company is stupid enough to invest millions of greenback in a factory to produce a model that very few will buy.....but then on second thoughts.....we have just seen Honda do just that with the Jazz.....so you never know.....VW may be following in Honda's foot steps!

Edit: I just noticed that the rear wiper is missing as well...definitely base model.

Last edited by prashanthyr : 26th September 2009 at 16:23. Reason: second thoughts
Old 26th September 2009, 17:24   #159
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudan_NFS View Post
But the interior of Ritz/punto/Fabia is far more better the what we are seeing the pic.

see the below pic there is big gap below the steering fit. and This what we are going to get for 4.5 lac
A similar picture was there in ACI about interior quality of Punto. But I expect that this European car will have good ride and handling, like Punto and Fabia. They are really good in this department. This is a test sample and lower end variant IMHO by looking at the wheels. IMHO, this will a good competition to Punto and i10. Somebody has posted the engine details for this car. If they are the engines offered, then all three europeans are doing the same mistake : Offering weaker powertrains for fantastic chassis. Lets hope this VW does not commit same mistake. Another thing that Punto will have advantage is maintenance cost specially spare parts IMHO.
Old 28th September 2009, 11:36   #160
BHPian

The car WAS planned to be launched in the first quarter of 2010 but even VW was surprised at how fast they finished construction and got the assembly line moving. Apparently the problem now was not the plant itself but a lack of dealer network. Skoda has a bad name and they have VW to be a distinct brand from Skoda completely. After signing on a slew of new showrooms VW might very well begin sale as early as November. Having said that, it is a rather staid looking car. But it is "ze Germans" - clearly style was never their core competency - great engineering always was.
Old 28th September 2009, 12:21   #161
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by invidious View Post
But it is "ze Germans" - clearly style was never their core competency - great engineering always was.
True, but I wish they modify that to "great engineering with great reliability" for the Indian markets. I think in general we would go short on great engineering to get better reliability, esp looking at the experience of Fiat and Skoda. I also think great reliability does not always mean lower problems per thousand but a reliable way to address those problems honestly, competently, consistently and cost effectively.

I hope VW learns that if it wants to do better than the Koreans, the Japanese and the Indians in India
Old 28th September 2009, 16:12   #162
BHPian

Too early

I hope it is too early to comment on the interiors as the launch is only by 1st quarter of 2010 and the car is jus being test driven for so many other parameters rather than the interiors.
If the car is being mostly produced in India using Indian labour and material, it should be possible to launch the same European Polo at least at a 6L price. I would rather rely upon better engineering, better build, better ride and handling, better performance, better FE, better space, better comfort, rather than the top-notch contemporary styling. There is nothing wrong in having a conservative styling. But it is blatantly wrong to have a wrongly engineered product.
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:48   #163
Team-BHP Support

Production ready VW Polo spotted!

Hey guys,

The last thing that I thought I'd see was a Volkswagen convoy when I was holidaying at The Intercontinental 'The Lalit', Goa!

While parking my car, I saw from a distance, a white car that didn't seem 'Indian' to my eyes in any way. Yet, it was a small car. On closer inspection, it happened to be a Seat Ibiza, a popular European super-mini. And it had European plates too! This prompted me to take a walk in the parking-lot and I couldn't believe what I had stumbled upon! At least 10, what looked like production ready Polos, 1 Jetta with a petrol engine and black un-painted bumpers, a top-end yellow Fabia and one Euro-spec Polo!

The car, apparently, would be launched sooner than expected. The guy in-charge explained the purpose of these test-mules and the one-off imports.

Some of the Polos seemed to have Audi-esq day-time running lights. So I assumed that they would be the Euro-spec version where as the red one and this black one seemed more like the cars that VW would sell to the Indian audience. The cost cutting could be clearly seen in the black Polo.

The Jetta, he said, would be launched with a new petrol engine and the prices would be slashed as well. There would be a 'all-new' base version too!

Apparently, the Seat Ibiza (which looks brilliant) might be considered, depending on the response the Polo gets from the Indian audience.
Attached Thumbnails
Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-270920091198.jpg  

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-270920091194.jpg  

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-270920091195.jpg  

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-270920091197.jpg  

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-270920091199.jpg  

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-270920091200.jpg  

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-270920091193.jpg  

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-270920091196.jpg  

Last edited by suhaas307 : 2nd October 2009 at 17:57.
Old 2nd October 2009, 17:53   #164
Senior - BHPian

nice scoop suhaas! The POLO's rear lights look really good at night!
But, there's already a thread existing on this:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ad-tested.html

Mods, plz merge.
Old 2nd October 2009, 19:22   #165
BHPian

great scoop man!! very nice pics.

black door handles. and dull alloys. yup this might be the Indian version. i wan't those 17" 5 spoke alloys at least as options!!. and its great news for jetta. i guess VW is serious about india as they came in late but are hitting all the right notes now. i am so desperately waiting for this car to launch. i hope they give 1.2 TSI engine to india.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks