Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th December 2009, 15:19   #406
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselFan View Post
I am really surprised at why VW is not talking of its famed DSG AT for Polo. If AT is brought with Diesel it sure is going to be a killer combination. We will have a sure winner.
VW is not talking about any of their engines for India. It is our auto observants who are running full steam on the observations. (Like the Fabia 1.2l 70ps engine being replonked into Polo etc)

Anyways, all i know so far from the tv shows

- Nice Horn
Old 13th December 2009, 17:09   #407
BHPian

Guys, here's the Youtube link of the pre production Polo driven by Sirish of Overdrive!

Last edited by pusako : 13th December 2009 at 17:12.
Old 13th December 2009, 17:33   #408
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the link pusako.

Uggghhhh, small wheels and chrome grill
It seems to have lost all the aggressive flare I liked it for. Anyways I guess these smaller things can be dealt with afterwards. It's down to the engine now. Doesn't seem to be the car all of us enthusiasts want, which means it'll do well here in india.

Atleast it has a good horn
Old 13th December 2009, 17:35   #409
Senior - BHPian

So many details / Pictures can we just get 3 confirmations?

1. Will there be a variant with black interiors? I mean if they can have the Jetta why not this?

2. Will they have the smoked head light option?

3. Engines? Will they have a good TSI Engine? now or later?

Regards,
Old 13th December 2009, 19:02   #410
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
So many details / Pictures can we just get 3 confirmations?

1. Will there be a variant with black interiors? I mean if they can have the Jetta why not this?

2. Will they have the smoked head light option?

3. Engines? Will they have a good TSI Engine? now or later?

Regards,
1. The beige interiors will blacken over time, not to worry!!
2. Smoked headlights? If you go to the VW Germany website, you will see the headlights we are getting correspond to the lowest trim level. Ditto with front bumper, black handles and the like. So what have you been smoking??
3.TSI engine is not available everywhere yet. Germany itself sells it on the Comfortline onwards, starting prices at 11.22 lakh. So you do the math, and if you are observant, even if you haven't heard it officially from VW, you might guess this isn't coming here anytime soon.

My feel is SVP is disappointed because he has seen the level to which the Indian Polo has stooped. We have discussed it here, but I guess most will not believe until they hear it from the 'aarses mouth.

On the plus side, we have been given an extra horizontal slat on the grille ( duly chromed) not seen on any other international version, so that must be the extent of chrome on the front!

Last edited by crackingride : 13th December 2009 at 19:06.
Old 13th December 2009, 20:19   #411
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post

TSI engine is not available everywhere yet. Germany itself sells it on the Comfortline onwards, starting prices at 11.22 lakh. So you do the math, and if you are observant, even if you haven't heard it officially from VW, you might guess this isn't coming here anytime soon.

My feel is SVP is disappointed because he has seen the level to which the Indian Polo has stooped. We have discussed it here, but I guess most will not believe until they hear it from the 'aarses mouth.

SVP is disappointed because Overdrive got the scoop & was driven around in the pre-production car, and he didn't get it.

Even if he had got it knowing him he would've looked around the curves on the side profile and headlamp, as that is all his focus is on. Guess he didn't find enough curves to excite him

VW's focus is to keep the price under control. A TSI engine would've bumped the price upwards of 6L, so if at all they launch it, it will only be later after establishing the volume. They have the fuel quality also to deal with, so don't expect to see it anytime soon.
Old 13th December 2009, 21:39   #412
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pusako View Post
Guys, here's the Youtube link of the pre production Polo driven by Sirish of Overdrive!

YouTube - Dream Decade: Top 10 motoring moments

It was quite amusing and a bit sickening to see Sirish Chandran's demeanor during the interview, the way he was asking only 'nice and easy' convienent questions and coming across as being immensely grateful that a gora manager would give him a preview of a car himself. His expression was rather like a puppy about to be thrown a bone by his owner.

I bet it would have been quite a different story if he was interviewing an Indian manufacturer, probably would have the usual mix of patronizing and dismissive behavior.

Anyways there was very little useful information that could be gained from that interview other than there is a loud horn on it that is not sold in Europe. He tried to suggest that the space at the rear wasn't good when he sat in it at an autoshow, but the German guy simply contradicted him and said there was plenty of space.
Old 13th December 2009, 22:01   #413
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
It was quite amusing and a bit sickening to see Sirish Chandran's demeanor during the interview, the way he was asking only 'nice and easy' convienent questions and coming across as being immensely grateful that a gora manager would give him a preview of a car himself. His expression was rather like a puppy about to be thrown a bone by his owner.

I bet it would have been quite a different story if he was interviewing an Indian manufacturer, probably would have the usual mix of patronizing and dismissive behavior.

Anyways there was very little useful information that could be gained from that interview other than there is a loud horn on it that is not sold in Europe. He tried to suggest that the space at the rear wasn't good when he sat in it at an autoshow, but the German guy simply contradicted him and said there was plenty of space.
Ture; infact his body lanuguage was totally awkward. He seemed too submissive, and uncomfortable talking to a Gora. Bert would have handled it better i guess.

When Jorg said he was totally comfortable, our man just took it without uttering a word - funny it was
Old 13th December 2009, 22:04   #414
Senior - BHPian

Crackingride, Sorry have'nt really been following this thread and honestly did not really go through all the pages yet. Anyways I was hoping for black as an option, and about the Smoked headlights well I assumed they will have 2-3 variants and hoped for the high spec model to have it as standard but I believe no?

And TSI I guess if it costs so much one can absolutely forget it, but then a limited run of GTI's would not harm, I'm sure that would sell a lot more compared to that damn Beetle!

And since you know quite a lot about this car any idea on what engines are we expecting? Sorry I really have not followed this thread.

Regards,
Old 14th December 2009, 00:47   #415
Distinguished - BHPian

I wouldn't want to be driven by that German guy --- waving his hands (both hands) around as he talks. Even while talking about our potholes.

Yes... It was like a press release... not critical reporting at all.
Old 14th December 2009, 02:10   #416
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post

what i understand is that they cannot disclose a lot before the launch officially!

some things that got revealed!

1) unique horn
2) extreme testing has been done for india. they(in this case VW board members, GMs) themselves have tested in on indian intercity long drives. and when your boss does some testing things better be good!! and that dude can drive too. loled @ hey look MAA no hands moment..... heheheh.
3)beige interiors, (yes they will have black too a la trendline) are nice
4) foreigners are tall people! i can bet that the manager at the back was atleast 6 feet tall and seemed quite comfortable at the back! so he is not lying or anything this car is actually good!
5) they have acheived 75 % localisation! on this particular car!
6) the car which they were driving was pre- production model so it did not had painted mirrors and fog lamps! or even stereo system!

what suprised me today was that some reporter on tv some horny chick in late 20s (news x) was commenting on this car! and she said the car will be priced at 4-5 lacs. i can't beleive it .
what i am expecting from this car! some of it is wishful thinking and ain't gonna happen soon i know!

1) 1.2 TSi engine, i want this so bad!!
2) DSG, gearbox ,we need an auto gearbox for this car!
3) six airbags, esp (i know you guys are lauging, hey i20 has it) all models from VW has one thing comman. atleast SIX airbag and ESP on top models! built like tank quality!
4)touchscreen audio player, radio 510 from passat maybe? who knows!
5) good options for alloys!
6) and yeah sensible pricing! you have 1.2 ltr engines and 75% localisation of parts, now price it right VW!!

one last thing i want to say for diesel fans!! VW as a policy has moved away from the PD engines and if they are going to manufacture everything here i bet that they are manufacturing diesel engines for it too! (totally new plant) so i can bet they will have new CRDI engines for polo! dunno about the TSI thingy!

Last edited by Caramelo : 14th December 2009 at 02:25.
Old 14th December 2009, 08:51   #417
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caramelo View Post
loled @ hey look MAA no hands moment..... heheheh.

Caramelo, you just captured my wishlist as well. And that too in the right order.

Santa,
Old 14th December 2009, 09:04   #418
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

There are a lot of comments about the DSG Auto being a great option for the Polo to feature.

The DSG auto is very expensive and definately not something that you plok into a car that you wish to make price competitive, it would go out first infact.

A Laura DSG Auto control unit (Mechatronic control Unit) which is essentially the gearbox excluding the gears themselves, costs Rs. 1.3L as a spare part, the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) - which is normally used by the VW group in the Auto is also expensive at about 40K.

Even if the Polo components would be cheaper due to lesser power (only possibly) being required. Yet Auto is a sure shot way to add to cost.

Yep the Auto on a polo would be a much more refined component compared to that on the honda or toyota vehicle and we need not even mention maruti or hyundai which are old school. The gear shifts would be butter smooth and efficency drop would not exist, besides the auto for a change would be more fuel effecient than the manual. But there are expensive parts in the case of VW group and they do fail - adding to pointers that Indians do not want. It may be safer for them initially to just go with the auto till they have a fan following for their cars out here.

That said, i would love to have the DSG Auto.
Old 14th December 2009, 09:20   #419
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
T

A Laura DSG Auto control unit (Mechatronic control Unit) which is essentially the gearbox excluding the gears themselves, costs Rs. 1.3L as a spare part, the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) - which is normally used by the VW group in the Auto is also expensive at about 40K.
Thanks for the info. Aren't we giving too much stress on the "price" front? Let there be variants to Polo. Let the lowest model be priced @ 5Lacs and not have the "bells and whistles". So if we add better engines and DSG to it,

(1.2TSI = 1 lac
DSG = 1.3 Lac etc) let them give these as options. Price ending somewhere near to i20 top model.

I think Indian market is accepting AT as you can see Santro's and Scorpios going the route.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:11   #420
BHPian

After seeing the video all i can say that is that:
Thank god apprehensions about low quality interiors to price the car cheap are not true.

Last edited by rutvij : 14th December 2009 at 12:15. Reason: Removal of duplicate You Tube link
Closed Thread

Most Viewed