seem to be of very high quality
Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-4179908885_47227f07cd_b.jpg
Instrument console with MID
Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-4180670950_d07a918533_b.jpg
Zoom in a bit. It has DTE feature also
Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-4179917479_288b0818ea_o.jpg

PS:all credit to indian autos blog
Link to full gallery : http://www.flickr.com/photos/notjust...7622865336799/

Last edited by Rehaan : 15th December 2009 at 19:58. Reason: Link to full gallery added.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:30   #422
BHPian

Hope VW is better at pricing than Skoda, I think the premium business is being taken too far by car makers and some folks on boards like this even for the most basic cars and models, some people want to pay 12 lakhs for Polo, everything cannot be premium, that debases the whole basis for using that word.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:39   #423
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raul View Post
Hope VW is better at pricing than Skoda, I think the premium business is being taken too far by car makers and some folks on boards like this even for the most basic cars and models, some people want to pay 12 lakhs for Polo, everything cannot be premium, that debases the whole basis for using that word.
If they were better than the Jetta and Passat would not have been priced so different from the Laura and the Superb.

But there is hope in the case of the Fabia which they want to make their mainstay in the market. They may have learnt from the Fabia fiasco and may price in the 4.5 - 6L range.
Old 14th December 2009, 12:48   #424
Senior - BHPian

Pricing of the POLO seems to be the key for success in the Indian market. Any price over 4.5 lacs for Base version will not be accepted in the Indian market / should I say will not be a mass success like its counterparts like Swift/Ritz/ i10 etc…

VW is projecting Polo as a mass market car with high quality inputs and with over 75% localization to bring down the cost of car at launch. Hope VW set the new bench mark in offering quality cars at an affordable prices tag .
Old 14th December 2009, 13:22   #425
R17
BHPian

Here is the link for the images of the Indian Polo at Chakan. There are a ton of images of the exterior, interior and the plant. The interior looks pretty good in the pre-prod spec, I believe itll look a lot fancier once the bells and whistles are installed:-

VW Polo production begins in Chakan, Pune, India - a set on Flickr

Last edited by R17 : 14th December 2009 at 13:29. Reason: spelling error
Old 14th December 2009, 13:33   #426
Senior - BHPian

The car looks like a quality product. Interior panel gaps look fine and even. The exterior looks good too. Even the side mirror looks well crafted.

Couple of things:
1. The gear position is Reverse, 1, 2, 4 and 5. A bit difficult to get used to I guess.
2. No dead pedal.
Old 14th December 2009, 13:40   #427
BHPian

hey VULPINE101 , amezing scoop buddy!!! u deserve a loud appalause! nice pics .
it just reminds me of the original zen by maruti ! its so chunky , neatly laid out interiors and damm impressive!
Old 14th December 2009, 13:59   #428
BHPian

@vulpine101, you have mentioned 1.2 TDI 3-pot crdi engine. Is that a typo or is it a CRDI for real?
Old 14th December 2009, 14:07   #429
BHPian

Brilliant scoop fellow bhpians. Brilliant set of pictures. Well, now the question of interiors is crystal clear.

Bad thing is the 1.4 TDI PD/51 kW - with 70bHp. Now, this is the same one used by Fabia also. So we are getting the 3 cylinder stuff. But how is it?

I did not see any info on the Petrol variant. Any updates folks?
Yeah, the gears look odd. Will take some time to get used to it.
As far as body colored door handles, ORVM etc its good to see options provided. Base version not having any such options but higher variants having those.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:22   #430
BHPian

The interior looks good and we are getting dual tone interior in High end.
Is the dual tone interior present for basic model too.I think VW might price similar to i 20 or just below i 20 i.e from 4.5 lakh

The gear is similar to verna, but we have a button in the lever that needs to be pressed to engage the reverse gear.

Last edited by Sudan_NFS : 14th December 2009 at 14:24.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:28   #431
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
Brilliant scoop fellow bhpians. Brilliant set of pictures. Well, now the question of interiors is crystal clear.

Bad thing is the 1.4 TDI PD/51 kW - with 70bHp. Now, this is the same one used by Fabia also. So we are getting the 3 cylinder stuff. But how is it?

I did not see any info on the Petrol variant. Any updates folks?
Yeah, the gears look odd. Will take some time to get used to it.
As far as body colored door handles, ORVM etc its good to see options provided. Base version not having any such options but higher variants having those.

Looked at the pics myself, and if anything it corroborates what I've been saying all along.
This is trendline plastics in a cheaply specced car.

Start with the engine. Three pot TDI obviously. Not even the new 1.2 CRDI because that is not available internationally yet. For those thinking that pics don't tell a story, here is how observation bears one out.
Move to the headlamps and we can see that the Trendline treatment continues.
There are no fogs on this variant, and if you look at the light controls, there is no position for foglamps.
Moving inside, look at the steering wheel. No sign of anything saying "airbag" anywhere on it.
Instrument cluster is from the Fabia by the looks of things because internationally the centre LCD is backlit in white.
There is no electric ORVM control on the door handle above the central locking buttons.
No tweeter grill in the A-pillar.
No auto climate control.
No dead pedal!!
I dont see a cig lighter though i think on the polo it is set ahead of the cup holder on the center console bottom.
No buttons under the centre console air vents apart from a hazard light switch. What happened to ESP across all variants and passenger side airbag deactivation controls?
Of course we supply our own music systems.
Alloys look Ok, but the tyres are Apollo Acelere. Hmmm. The red car seems to have R 15's. Which is surprising since that means the silver car with the body colored handles and mirrors must be having the same. The alloys on those are different though.
Rear light cluster is a cluster-****.
No pics of the boot.

What's odd about the gears?? Looks like a regular pattern to me.. VW has a press down and push to left of first for reverse arrangement with a reverse lockout. Nothing new here.

So unless higher end variants are better specced, I'm going to pass on this.
One pic of a silver car has body colored mirrors so that is a possibility.

To 'refresh' our memory, here is the interior for the highline spec version =)
Attached Thumbnails
Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-volkswagen-polo-5.jpg  

Last edited by crackingride : 14th December 2009 at 14:45.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:31   #432
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
@vulpine101, you have mentioned 1.2 TDI 3-pot crdi engine. Is that a typo or is it a CRDI for real?
From the 3rd picture we can assume its a typo. The letters on the engine after the VW logo read "TDI". Seems to be a bolt on from the Fabia.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:37   #433
Senior - BHPian

I think we have got better cars in 4-5 lakhs segment. Ritz and Swift along with Hyundai and Tata have their products well placed in market. I dont find anything so good with this car unlike Vista ( lots of space ), ritz ( space utilization from small frame ) Swift ( fun to drive ).

Next is heart of the car. Here is where Polo is beaten badly if the motor is 70hp unit. You just cant keep up with 1.2 from Suzuki and Honda. This is the biggest loss to VW. They actually dont have NA small motors that can be called good. And making them work on Indian fuel is not an easy task.

The interiors look good, but red line at 6K ? I expected more from them after the way they advertised VW as simply the best.

Last, what will be maintenenace cost. ACI reported that Jetta had bill of Rs. 8K for 10K kms service. The spares cost must be lower than Maurti as VW is " DAS Auto ", but we will have to wait for this to happen. As of now I think maintenance in long term will be one thing to consider before buying this car. VW spares and service cost are higher than others. In small car market things are different.

What about dealer availability ?
Wait, Suzuki-VW deal will help VW ? Yes, and if this happens, Polo will gather more sales. But at the end of the day, Polo in current form is an unexciting product with not so good engine. A dull product in a sea of cars that have more talents than this car IMHO.
I am disappointed.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:39   #434
Senior - BHPian

excellent photos guys. The build quality but the equipment level looks low. I guess this is base/middle version? Engine is disappointing though.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:43   #435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Moving inside, look at the steering wheel. No sign of anything saying "airbag" anywhere on it.
Alloys look Ok, but the tyres are Apollos. Hmmm.
Brilliant observations. Its really great reading your observations.

I really missed out in the Airbag thingy. Gosh, no airbags. Well, i wish the photographer was as observant and knowledgeable on cars as "crackingride". He should have clicked pictures of the silver car which i think is top end. This red dude is a mid/low variant i think.

Man, i again overlooked Apollos. Was just gazing on the alloys. I prefer the 5 spoke one. This 7 spoke is not for me.

Keep on comments. crackingride.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed