Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 14:45   #436
BHPian

Interiors have a good finish although car looks poorly speced but we need to see on road versions to get a better idea . VW seems to have put in a lot of effort and it shows in the car , what we saw and heard on overdrive interview . Definitely worth considering in comparo to Punto / i20 and upcoming Micra not sure about Figo as they are aiming at a segment below .
Old 14th December 2009, 14:55   #437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
I think we have got better cars in 4-5 lakhs segment.
+1. I think even VW knows that the base model 1.2 petrol would'nt be the hottest seller. But from marketing point of view it might work if the base version is priced as per rumours, for eg. ranging from 4.5-6.5 lacs ex showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
Last, what will be maintenenace cost. ACI reported that Jetta had bill of Rs. 8K for 10K kms service. The spares cost must be lower than Maurti as VW is " DAS Auto ", but we will have to wait for this to happen.
Without a doubt the A.S.S. of VW might be a criteria here since they have only 25 dealers which would expand to atleast 40 in short term. And with localization expected to touch 80% in few months we can expect VW to prove us wrong here. Maruti and Hyundai will still be hard to compete in cheaper spares.

It does look like Polo will get Fabia engines , no special engine for Polo???Pl bring the 1.2TSI/1.2 TDI.
Old 14th December 2009, 14:56   #438
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anekho View Post
excellent photos guys. The build quality but the equipment level looks low. I guess this is base/middle version? Engine is disappointing though.
My thoughts too. The build and interiors reeks quality. Engines yeah disappointing. I atleast hope they have tuned the Fabia engines for slightly better performance. For us Bhpians Polo is not exciting.But for the general market, it should do decent numbers if its priced very competitively.

Figo Diesel sounds more exciting to me than this one.
Old 14th December 2009, 15:01   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

The silver colored car looks good. Seems spacious as well. But for the engines, 1.2 HTP and 1.4 TDI is below par when compared to the competition (the new breed of 1.2 petrols and the 1.3 MJD and 1.4 Crdi from Hyundai).

Will wait for the launch to look the features that the car offers.

VW better keep the prices in check, else Polo will go the Fabia way.
Old 14th December 2009, 15:03   #440
Senior - BHPian

Couple of things to note from the photos:
- Seems to have electric windows
- Several "dummy" buttons on the central console -> indicates a fully loaded top end version (maybe even gps?)
- Golf style, rear hatch release (handle is the vw logo)
- GC looks pretty high, will suit our conditions.
- Photo of the glove compartment has some smaller holes -> probably usb connectors etc for the audio system in higher versions
- Quality AC vents, I really like them!
- The central console is slightly angled towards the driver - nice!
- The central console has enough place to support a 2din audio system/touchscreen.
- The red polo seems to have 'eyelids' to make them look better
- Aluminium door handles look good and sporty
- grey/black console top, no problem with annoying reflections on the windscreen
- interior/exterior panel gaps are tiny, solid build I guess.
- Steering wheel looks thin and sporty. The gap on the bottom of it would look great with some aluminium

Last edited by anekho : 14th December 2009 at 15:20.
Old 14th December 2009, 15:32   #441
Senior - BHPian

Fabia’s 1.4 TDI motor is a lousy one ,during an interview VW’s Executive mentioned that they have worked on new electronics & have done tweeks to ward off the ill effects of poor quality fuel.

I know lot of Fabia owners had a real bad time managing this engine. I am sure by tweaking the ECU must have improved things but don’t know by how much. We have to wait and watch to experience it.

Beating the K-series equipped Ritz & upcoming Swift will be quit challenging for the POLO on price, FE & performance aspects.

I am sure the Polo designers must have given all these competitors a close thought before configuring the vehicle for the Indian market.
Let hope all of us are proven wrong & the power plant work as a charm, all the best VW.
Old 14th December 2009, 15:33   #442
BHPian

I think in the red car the head lamps looks smoky.

VW Polo production in India commences - 42 on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I think clear lense head lamps are there for the entry models.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:27   #443
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
From the 3rd picture we can assume its a typo. The letters on the engine after the VW logo read "TDI". Seems to be a bolt on from the Fabia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser_1982 View Post
@vulpine101, you have mentioned 1.2 TDI 3-pot crdi engine. Is that a typo or is it a CRDI for real?
It is indeed 1.2 CRDi engine. Polo also comes with 1.2 petrol from fabia though it has been re tuned.

I think only the engines can be deal-breakers for otherwise a very good car.
They should beg,borrow or steal that k series engine from Suzuki.
Even an all new 1.6 engine(not the Jetta's ) is also being speculated.
Lets wait and see till Auto Expo
Old 14th December 2009, 18:07   #444
Senior - BHPian

Looks just OK

went through photos posted in previous page. looks more like Indica-ish in front and Chevy U-VA-ish fron rear. interiors are just okay. not many gadgets too

Pricing is the key point. With news of VW Suzuki JV in india and rumoured 75% localization, better after sale service can be expected.

Keeping finger crossed fro GTO's detailed report once it it launched.
Old 14th December 2009, 18:52   #445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulpine101 View Post
It is indeed 1.2 CRDi engine. Polo also comes with 1.2 petrol from fabia though it has been re tuned.

I think only the engines can be deal-breakers for otherwise a very good car.
They should beg,borrow or steal that k series engine from Suzuki.
Even an all new 1.6 engine(not the Jetta's ) is also being speculated.
Lets wait and see till Auto Expo
The 1.2 TDI is available as a Bluemotion model in Germany, and will be available in the UK only from May 2010.
However, it must be said that the spec for that engine is 1199cc 12v, turbocharged triple, 74bhp, 144lb ft. Fuel efficiency rated at a combined 3,3 l/100km, or 30 kmpl on the VW.de website !!

Where it gets interesting is here: take a look at the pics below:
The top one is from carmagazine UK (an article on the 1.2 Bluemotion)

The bottom one is from the Chakan production launch. Look at what is says at the bottom of the job sheet, and compare the engine bay with the one above. Similar, i think, tending towards the very same?

What it says to me is Polo PQ25 (informally, the A05 platform) Comfortline (silver car with body colored wing mirrors and colored handles + different alloys) 55 KW (74 BHP- see above!) TDI engine.
So, we just might be seeing a triple with class leading FE (without the associated start-stop of the international versions this engine comes with) and average performance and (to quote Car Magazine):

"But you make a sacrifice as soon as you fire the turbocharged three-cylinder diesel –the regular Polo’s class-leading refinement. The common rail unit is a guttural engine, which growls under acceleration like Cerberus on a frustrating day at Hades’ gates. And it’s not as if VW has filleted some sound deadening to pin down weight to 1080kg – ear defenders as standard please chaps.

The other snag is the lack of low down torque in second and third gear.
There’s much huffing and puffing as a flatulent shockwave of vibration rumbles through the cabin, before the engine hauls itself ...back up to speed. It feels as if you’ve fumbled from second to fifth gear.
The secret is to time your gearchanges to keep the engine in its optimal power band, above 2000rpm. The 1.2 isn’t gutless: peak torque is around 144lb ft, and there’s sufficient mid-range grunt for sensibly timed overtaking manoeuvres, in a third gear which is longer than War and Peace. The sprint from zero to 62mph (100kmph) will last more than 12sec.."

So there you have it folks: 1.2 CRDI coming our way with not much to redeem itself from its sibling the Fabia apart from the move from PD to CRDi.

Shake, rattle and roll, all over again, with good mileage to boot.
Attached Thumbnails
Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-6vwbluemotion.jpg  

Production ready VW Polo spotted! Pg 11, 23-tdi3pot.jpg  

Old 14th December 2009, 20:10   #446
BHPian

Well, If the engine is the same as the Fabia then I am not going to consider this as a future buy for me at least.
the interiors and the suspension and everything may be top notch but if the engine 3 cylinder then ..its a no no for me .
Old 14th December 2009, 20:20   #447
BHPian

I am all confused. If i summarize the above posts

Petrol --> 1.2L 70 PS
Diesel --> 1.2 CRDi

Both are 3 cylinders. Whats the 3rd engine? VW said 2 Petrol and 1 Diesel?
Clarifications please
Old 14th December 2009, 20:21   #448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
A Laura DSG Auto control unit (Mechatronic control Unit) which is essentially the gearbox excluding the gears themselves, costs Rs. 1.3L as a spare part, the Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) - which is normally used by the VW group in the Auto is also expensive at about 40K.
i agree with your view, but i think we are forgetting the fact that everything is going to be manufactured here! well almost! and i think even the transmision, so they can do it cheaper!!

@Petrol --> 1.2L 70 PS, they have kept fuel efficiency in focus, and VW engines can last for ever and are highly fuel efficent, they are the best! IMO, i wouldn't mind if its a 3 cylinder, it will be refined and less noisy and as power full as other 1.2s petrol

Diesel --> 1.2 CRDi (75 ps i think is the power), 3 cylinder so it will be also more fuel efficent, and its CRDI so less noisy and refined!! this all sounds good to me!!

Last edited by Caramelo : 14th December 2009 at 20:35.
Old 14th December 2009, 20:55   #449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackingride View Post
Fuel efficiency rated at a combined 3,3 l/100km, or 30 kmpl on the VW.de website !!
If the mileage figures are anywhere close, this alone is good enough for the car to sell. A German fit and finish, not to mention the "thud", great ride + handling package and reasonable torque for a city drive and at Swift like pricing - what more do you need to make this a best seller? I just hope the A*S*S is not as disappointing as Skoda.
Old 14th December 2009, 21:23   #450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
I am all confused. If i summarize the above posts

Petrol --> 1.2L 70 PS
Diesel --> 1.2 CRDi
I had read somewhere that the 1.4 petrol which was doing duty on Fabia(it got discontinued) has been tuned and it might be plonked in the Polo. I hope its not the 1.4 TDI from Fabia and the 1.2 crdi !!!
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks