Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 16th December 2009, 19:00   #496
BHPian

First VW polo rolls out from Chakan plant. here is the link for latest news. so finally it is confirmed that polo will have 1.2 mpi and 1.2 crdi. 1.2mpi is same as Fabia.

Overdrive Magazine - First Volkswagen Polo rolls out in India
Old 16th December 2009, 19:01   #497
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrmanju1 View Post
The websites mentioned couple of things on the 1.2 CRDi

1) BlueMotion is to be released in may, 2010. So what will happen to the Jan/March launch?
Its a UK website so the launch date is for UK.

Quote:
2) Low gears/Low speeds are really sluggish.Especially second and third gear. Is it advisable for city driving?
In one of the reviews it says it does 0-to-62-mph run in 13.6 Sec so i guess you can not term it sluggish as per indian standards. And it has 133 lb-ft of torque so in gear acceleration should also not be a problem as per our standards.

Quote:
3) It has a START/STOP technology. Will we get this? I doubt.
I also doubt it.

Quote:
4) Looks more and more like a Fuel saver than Power and drivability.Fuel consumption is the decisive criteria for buying - then this would figure out in a nicer way.
With 0-100 figures under 14 seconds and fuel consumption of more than 20kmpl, in India it may work to their advantage.

Last edited by rutvij : 16th December 2009 at 19:04. Reason: Trying to figure out quote function.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:09   #498
BHPian

Some more information of Polo 1.2CRDi Engine from VW site in Germany.
Old 16th December 2009, 19:57   #499
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post
First VW polo rolls out from Chakan plant. here is the link for latest news. so finally it is confirmed that polo will have 1.2 mpi and 1.2 crdi. 1.2mpi is same as Fabia.
Polo with 1.2 mpi is sweet news for Fabia owners , as bulk of fabia cars sold are 1.2 mpi.
1.2 tsi polo would have killed Fabia 1.2 petrol instantly.

Polo 1.2 tdi is a smart move by VW , will end up as a good city car with milage around 20 kpl plus in city , should be cheapest in terms of fuel economy amoung hatchbacks.
Old 16th December 2009, 20:23   #500
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rutvij View Post
Its a UK website so the launch date is for UK.
So what you are saying is - India will have the FIRST official release of 1.2TDI in the world? Wow! Later on, i hope we dont hear the same story of Fabia of spurious diesel blah blah
Old 16th December 2009, 20:43   #501
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by throttleking View Post

Overdrive Magazine - First Volkswagen Polo rolls out in India

That was expected from VW!! Now one can expect them to launch Polo at base price of Rs. 4.5Lakh.

So with 3-pot 1.2 MPI or 1.2 CDRI under the hood, what will be the selling point of Polo? at least over fabia, just the brand name?
Old 16th December 2009, 22:57   #502
BHPian

In all the cars in this category available in India, this is the best car. It really rocks!
If all goes fine and an automatic transmission version is available, I am surely buying it. I was using this car in South Africa and its really a solid rock in its category and at the price that it is for offer. Hope it is not overpriced like the Fabia.
Old 16th December 2009, 23:25   #503
BHPian

^^^
Well, the Polo entering India is a real nice case study of "Mango People" vs "team-bhp" petrolheads. Price vs Drive. I am going to come up with a nice paper on this.

I was reading a lot on Polo and how team-bhp wanted its engines to be.
Parallely, i had started discussions among friends, family members alien to team-bhp among the requirement.

Its quite a heady mix for sure. I will start authoring my findings pretty soon.

Time only will tell if Polo will be a good threat to the VFM cars or it will end up as an "also ran".

Selling Point --> If it is CRDI --> FE. I have seen lots of folks talk about FE. Man, if Blue Motion is released - thats one helluva FE car. Of course, why do you think Beetel was released? VW is a "brand" now. And Polo coming from the same stable for 4.5 ex-showroom. It will race some pulses. My assumption.
Old 16th December 2009, 23:30   #504
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
^^^
Well, the Polo entering India is a real nice case study of "Mango People" vs "team-bhp" petrolheads. Price vs Drive. I am going to come up with a nice paper on this.

I was reading a lot on Polo and how team-bhp wanted its engines to be.
Parallely, i had started discussions among friends, family members alien to team-bhp among the requirement.

Its quite a heady mix for sure. I will start authoring my findings pretty soon.

Time only will tell if Polo will be a good threat to the VFM cars or it will end up as an "also ran".

Selling Point --> If it is CRDI --> FE. I have seen lots of folks talk about FE. Man, if Blue Motion is released - thats one helluva FE car. Of course, why do you think Beetel was released? VW is a "brand" now. And Polo coming from the same stable for 4.5 ex-showroom. It will race some pulses. My assumption.
The launch of the Beetle ahead of the Polo seemed to be more like a marketing gimmick to me. VW wanted people to understand that when they launch the Beetle, they wanted people to think, "Look, this is what we can do"

Much like what Fiat did by bringing in the 500 in limited numbers.
Old 17th December 2009, 00:44   #505
Distinguished - BHPian

They already have the Passat and the Jetta to show people what they can do.

Even though it is the bottom of the range little car, the Polo will also be judged against these two, and, from pics I've seen here, the interiors, at least, are not going to score highly on that scale.
Old 17th December 2009, 08:25   #506
BHPian

Quote:
Selling Point --> If it is CRDI --> FE. I have seen lots of folks talk about FE.
I agree completely. If VW can give the FE that we have seen in the German sites (about 30km / l of diesel claimed, let's say it will be 20 - 25 kmpl on road), it will be a scorcher. Take my own case, we spend about Rs 6,000 per month on fuel in one of our cars for mostly moving around in the city. With the above FE I can bring it down to Rs 3,000 or less - that's a whopping saving of Rs 36,000 per year and can fund education for my kid. I am not sure about repairs and maintenance charges, but purely on FE basis it is terrific value. A lot of small commercial cars will also see sense in moving to the Polo.

So while the Polo may disappoint the auto enthusiast it may make a lot of sense to the general public. That's what VW is addressing with the Polo anyway.
Old 17th December 2009, 10:00   #507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by diffsoft View Post
I am not sure about repairs and maintenance charges, but purely on FE basis it is terrific value.
Going by what is mentioned in the site one should forget about maintenance.
Link Google Translate

"Technological progress makes it possible to significantly reduce the maintenance requirements. The Long Life Service, Volkswagen uses a technology that needs only to be planning on taking a service if your vehicle needs it. The special thing is that in order to determine the service interval (within 2 years and the individual operating conditions and personal driving style) to be considered.
The first inspection service is at 3 years or 60,000 kilometers due and then every 2 years.

Man this is unbelievably long service interval .........
Old 17th December 2009, 10:03   #508
BHPian

if the base model price starts at 4.5 lacs or so, it will not only give healthy competition to Fabia and Jazz but also to GP.
Old 17th December 2009, 10:28   #509
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
They already have the Passat and the Jetta to show people what they can do.

Even though it is the bottom of the range little car, the Polo will also be judged against these two, and, from pics I've seen here, the interiors, at least, are not going to score highly on that scale.
The Passat and the Jetta are definitely great cars. But the Beetle shouts it out just like the 500 did for Fiat!

It is a small car and you can't really expect the interiors to be amazing! It should be like the Fabia's which is, honestly, fabulous! Nothing like German build quality. Yes it will be dull, and boring. But so is the interior of a few Skodas too. And they work!
Old 17th December 2009, 12:11   #510
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by suhaas307 View Post
... the Beetle shouts it out just like the 500 did for Fiat!
Golf with rounded top and less headroom. The new Beetle never did much for me/

Quote:
It is a small car and you can't really expect the interiors to be amazing! It should be like the Fabia's which is, honestly, fabulous!
I can! I do! I want! I want a small car with good interiors and a few gadgets to play with!

Whilst sitting in a Fabia made me sure I wanted one, being driven in one made me certain I did not. I wonder if the Polo can be much different?
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks