Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th February 2010, 11:32   #46
BHPian

Simple:
1. The avg indian customer doesn't mind old things as long as it comes cheap and provides proper 'paisa vasool'.
2. Unlike the westerners, the avg indian doesn't chase the sun and look forward to the newest, latest and greatest.
3. The slightly older cars suddenly fall in the radar of those customers who otherwise wouldn't have upgraded from their Chetaks and Splendors.

My colleague booked Santro GLS last week; he didn't bother with the i10. Why? Coz it was affordable and had everything he needed in a car.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:35   #47
BHPian

I hope that with the new emission coming into effect soon. Maruti will finally phase out the 800 & the Omni van. Which in my opinion are 2 extremely unsafe vehicles.

Some might say that these cater to the poor Indians who can't afford a car. I say to them that these individuals can easily pay a couple of thousands more and buy the Alto and Ecko instead. If not go in for the Nano.

It is high time Maruti retires these vehicles. Their sales have already fallen sharply and they hurt the Maruti brand as a whole.
Old 8th February 2010, 11:56   #48
BHPian

I beleive india is a country where the market is very wide for auto companies. Still the old HM ambasador, M800, Santro is selling. Though Upgraded versions are available in the market(except HM), companies still keep their old line up.
Old 8th February 2010, 12:29   #49
BHPian

Manufacturers are adopting the 'horses for courses' strategy since the Indian market supports it.
And hey, we should be rejoicing at the plethora of choices we have instead of cribbing
Old 8th February 2010, 12:42   #50
BHPian

Still HM is selling in a good number. Amby is a old design but the build and back seat comfort is the best. O.T
Old 8th February 2010, 13:01   #51
BHPian

Yep fits well with Indian scene. Also an old saying goes like
"Naya nau(9) din, Purana sau(100) din"
Old 8th February 2010, 14:28   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

1. We don't ignore these products cause of their low cost advantage.
  2. The Govt isn't too serious about Safety, Pollution Laws etc. Bring them on and we can have some relief of not seeing the unsafe tinboxes from Maruti for eg.
Because of this trend we see that each new version of a car seems to have a jacked up price. See how the Fiesta & Verna have been priced wrt the Ikon & Accent.
Old 8th February 2010, 16:39   #53
Senior - BHPian

Going by the latest trends,international replacement models are always bigger/faster/expensive than the model it replaces.

So what it boils down to India is both the outgoing(possibly successful) and the new model fall into two different segments.So its not feasible for manufactures to phase out an old but successful model and usher a new model but in a segment above it.So the best bet is to keep flogging the old one.Case in point:Octavia/Laura,Accent/Verna..

If it ain't broke why fix it?!
Old 8th February 2010, 17:13   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindRide View Post
Manufacturers are adopting the 'horses for courses' strategy since the Indian market supports it.
And hey, we should be rejoicing at the plethora of choices we have instead of cribbing
A big chunk of a automobile market is located in urban small towns and rural areas. Purchase decisions in these markets are through personal advices and mouth publicity. An advice is based on "old" experience and personal preference. Hence an advice from owner of santro can easily influence a potential I10 sale. Automobile manufacturing company has a win win situation here because new model has wide market at the same time old model also brings in contribution to profit with suburban sales.
Old 8th February 2010, 23:01   #55
Senior - BHPian

Ans: Indian consumers are extremely price sensitive. VFM is what matters most.
Old 9th February 2010, 14:09   #56
BHPian

Older models can handle the rough stuff unlike the newer/younger ones who are delicate!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks