Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2009, 13:57   #16
BHPian

Proud to be an Hyundai Owner..Service is great and at the most is Customer Service is the best in the industry.I think Hyundai customers are the most satisfied customers in the whole lot.

For Sure will go in for a Hyundai Sedan in the near future..

Last edited by bblost : 7th October 2009 at 14:15. Reason: please use edit instead of back2back posts
Old 7th October 2009, 14:31   #17
BHPian

Finally they are acknowledging the presence and threat of Hyundai.

Hyundai is the 4th largest car maker in the world and they offer some of the most brilliant warranties.

Their Cars are reliable and come with a lower cost of ownership, if only they could improve there quirky styling (Read: New Sonata, Tuscan, Verna).

They would become even more of a threat.
Old 7th October 2009, 14:59   #18
BHPian

Just so we don't confuse cause and effect; Honda perceives Hyundai a threat because Hyundai provides better value to its customers like us and not the other way around. So it is satisfied Hyundai customers that makes Honda take Hyundai seriously; Hyundai customers need not be satisfied because Honda takes Hyundai seriously

I own a Santro AT (4 years and 60,000 on the odo) and Verna ( 20 months and about 29,000 on the odo).

I got what I was promised when I bought those cars. And their service is nothing short of exemplary ( from Trident Hyundai in Bangalore). I keep reading that some owners have not had great experience though.

Both cars have never failed me in any feature, touch wood, even once and my only spends have been on consumables and repairing minor accidents.

I think two of the reasons they are able to price their cars well is (a) lower steel costs - sourcing from POSCO (?) and (b) lower labor costs, esp with India as a hub. Both of them constitute, if I am not mistaken about 50% of the costs.

Cheers,

Last edited by diffsoft : 7th October 2009 at 15:01.
Old 7th October 2009, 15:49   #19
BHPian

Atleast in India, Hyundai needs to some work before it can catch up with or "overtake" Honda! Except for Hatch segment where Honda has very little presence (Only Jazz, which is sold at a Premium compared to Hyundai's VFM Cars Santro, Getz, i10, i20) hyundai lags behind Honda in every other segment.
1. In Sedan Segment, Hyundai Sold a Total of 19287 cars (including Accent and Verna) where as Honda managed 30275 cars with just the City!
2. In Premium Sedan Segment, Hyundai sold a Total of 385 Cars (includes Sonata and Elantra) where as Honda sold a 5466 Cars (includes CIVIC, Accord).
3. In SUV Segment Honda CR-v sold a total of 608 cars where as Hyundai Tuscon sold a meagre 18.

Data has been compiled from Karpusv's Thread - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...es-2009-a.html
Data from Jan to August 2009 only. Purely my Opinion!
Attached Files
File Type: xls Honda vs Hyundai.xls (16.0 KB, 280 views)
Old 7th October 2009, 16:15   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RishiSuri View Post
Feels proud to be an owner of Hyundai vehicle. and also not 1 but 2
+1 to that. Same here, Proud owner of 2 existing and 1 past Hyundai cars.

I think their service response is one of the main criterias for where they are today. And, their quality is increasing steadily in each new product they release making the existing products look redundant.

If given the choice i will continue to buy Hyundai products in future as well
Old 7th October 2009, 17:26   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bond_bhai View Post
Atleast in India, Hyundai needs to some work before it can catch up with or "overtake" Honda! Except for Hatch segment where Honda has very little presence (Only Jazz, which is sold at a Premium compared to Hyundai's VFM Cars Santro, Getz, i10, i20)

The Honda Jazz was meant to be their Hatch offering, and India is a Hatch market by and large.If Honda can't offer value, so be it. They will slowly loose the other markets too. PERIOD

Last edited by alankarm@sancha : 7th October 2009 at 17:27.
Old 7th October 2009, 18:29   #22
Senior - BHPian

Inside Toyota, for a long time now, the belief has been that Hyundai will be the one to challenge them for global leadership in the auto industry - not any of the other Japanese makers, nor any of the European ones. By all accounts, Hyundai seem to be on track to do that.
Old 7th October 2009, 18:54   #23
BHPian

They Say the Big wont beat the small but the fast will beat the slow
Hyundai
Old 7th October 2009, 21:11   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alankarm@sancha View Post
The Honda Jazz was meant to be their Hatch offering, and India is a Hatch market by and large.If Honda can't offer value, so be it. They will slowly loose the other markets too. PERIOD
Well said.
The common notion such as "Honda is Honda" or "Toyota is Toyota" won't go for long even in India where people tend to be loyal with certain brands. Nothing against Japanese automakers in general but it's the others who are learning and implementing most of the things faster than their rivals. It does take some time to build a brand but once the quality becomes affordable in the eyes of Indians, Japs (if they carry themselves as per as current trend) would have tough time for sure.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:16   #25
GTO
Team-BHP Support

This news is hardly new; fact is, Honda and Toyota have been looking over their shoulders at Hyundai for a long time now. Hyundai went on to become a formidable thread since the turn of the millenium where they really starting making good cars and nearly matching Honyota's for fit, finish and sheer quality. In fact, Hyundai has been widely credited (by consumer forums) for keeping the prices of Toyotas & Hondas in check. Look up reviews of the Sonata worldwide, it's done pretty well and has a good customer following. The new Elantra is widely rated "best in class" and (Mpower stated) the "new Kia Soul is a total sellout in the State".

Some more points of interest:

1. Hyundai has a wider range of diesel engines than Honda. However, they need to work on the outright refinement of their petrols.

2. Their international warranties (upto 10 years!) are class-leading. Even in India, Hyundai has been the first to offer a 5 year (including extended option) warranty on some of its cars.

3. Quality? You bet. Compare the interiors of an i10 to a Swift and you'll know that I'm talking about. Not for nothing was the i10 the second best selling car in September (12,000 odd units).

4. Hyundai's quirky designs are a thing of the past (major turnoff). Their new cars have mass appeal styling. Anyone checked out the upcoming Sonata yet?

I deeply respect Hyundai for the fact that they aren't showing any signs of slowing down (worldwide). With each new model, they have made an improvement on quality, design and engineering. One only needs to drive the current Sonata and compare it to the previous gen....the proof is indeed in the pudding.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:29   #26
Senior - BHPian

1) Toyota admitted this a long time ago. PSA group is also getting too much worried by progress of Hyundai. Its not a news at all. Since last two years, all major automakers are worried about hyundai.

2) I feel that success of Hyundai is because of some luck and copying, not sheer engineering like toyota or Honda.
Look at their cars till now and almost all cars have some or the other copied designs. The latest X35 ( new Tucson ) is a copy from From Kuga. The new Sonata has many cues from S-class. The Getz prime front end was a copy from Peugeot, Verna has copied corolla ( earlier generation ).

Their originality of design is not there at all. The current Sonata is copied from Accord. I respect a car maker more if it has its own original designs like Suzuki, Toyota and Honda. In fact I respect even mitsubishi more than Hyundai. The recently shown to public new Tucson made my feeling even more stronger.

And they are not perfect when it comes to petrol motors, the latest and much hyped 1.2 Kappa is not in league of either honda or suzuki motors. Also, due to Global Automotive Alliance, Hyundai has somewhat good petrol engines.

Sorry for harsh words, but a copycat does not deserve a good place IMHO.
No offense meant to anyone.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:38   #27
BHPian

@ aaggoswami, Yes you are right that hyundai copied design. Their sonata model was a mix of merc and jaguar S-type, and they even had been sued and had to discontinue the model.

But now they are improving, look at the design of i20, its interiors, the quality has been improved alot.
Hyundai is not the best or better than honda as yet but they are improving.
Old 8th October 2009, 11:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Every Japanese company started as a copycat. And made the copies much better than the originals in time. As long as the latter is the intent and outcome, what's the issue?!
Old 8th October 2009, 12:09   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaggoswami View Post
A copycat does not deserve a good place IMHO.
No offense meant to anyone.
Read the article just yesterday and was thinking about it while i was driving on the sealink last night at 120kmph in my Hyundai i10 Automatic. The engine is buttery smooth & the gearshift does not give jerks. The fit and finish is top notch with no panel gaps and the dashboard feel and quality is excellent. All for a car worth 4.57L on-road. Tell me, is Suzuki or Honda giving a similar 4 speed automatic offering in the same price bracket? So where does the copycat tag come?

Sit in a swift and then in an i10, and feel the difference. 12,000 indian buyers must have found at least something good about the car before buying, isn't it?

I am not saying Hyundai is perfect or make the best cars, NO, far from it. But they are posing a serious threat to the Japs on the following factors:
1. Price (w.r.t. i10)
2. Fit & Finish (w.r.t. i10 & i20)
3. Range of engine and transmission options (1.1P, 1.2P & 1.2AT on i10, 1.2P, 1.4AT & 1.4CRDi on i20, 1.5CRDi on Getz & Verna and so on)
4. Good After Sales Service (2nd only to Maruti)
5. Good Warranties (3-5 year options offered recently)
6. Good rev-friendly comparably silent diesel engines
7. Good safety features across the range like ABS, EBD, Airbags (6 in i20), Disc brakes (all around in i20 CRDi)
8. Clutch footrest (small but significant feature which is absent in Maruti's)
9. Standard features (in cases like i20 which has more gizmo's than cars 2 segments above)
10. Sunroof options (neither Suzuki nor Honda provide them)

This is all i could think of at the moment. Though they have a long way to go in ride and handling departments, they are still very competent cars & pose a serious threat due to their presence in most of the global automobile markets.

My two cents.

Last edited by anilkalvani : 8th October 2009 at 12:14.
Old 8th October 2009, 12:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

My grandfather once told me that in the fifties and sixties, Japanese products, including automobiles were looked down upon, perceived as copycats and bad ones at that. It was derogatory to remark "that is a Japanese job" about any copycat work, not necessarily by the Japanese. ("Jappan Kaaran velai" in Tamil!). In time the copycats bettered the originals, to be much sought after.

Hyundai is in the same fork of the road now. No need to look down upon them.

Last edited by Gansan : 8th October 2009 at 12:20.

Most Viewed