Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2009, 14:41   #136
Senior - BHPian

Thanks for the car sales analysis and figures.

Just talking about the C segment, Honda is topping the list followed by Ford (more fiesta sales).
One is used to compare between ANHC, Fiesta, aveo, linea, verna and SX4.
The Forum discussion giving Fiesta priority/preferance other than aveo,linea,verna, sx4 reflects may also a reason to increase the sales of these model. So the result and opinion given by the BHPians are accurate?

Ford should give the credit to BHPians, those who already own fiesta's, for discussing about this car continuously and write positive remarks / good report about the car - which may also a reason for increasing sales during september 2009. Anyone from Ford listening?

The most selling models, as discussed/ reported in this forum, were zxi,sxi and s version and have not seen may exi or limited edition version sold (have not any report in this forum).

Thanks
Old 10th October 2009, 14:49   #137
BHPian

Awesome analysis and cheers to all who have commented so far with so many views. Guess the best of the sales thread so far?

Poor Cedia, what else can they do? Hire the ford guys to do some magic n learn how to sell the same Fiesta over n again?
Old 10th October 2009, 14:49   #138
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomzi View Post
Beg to differ. Read on the Manza thread that it will be named "Indigo Manza"
That will be the worst mistake Tata can committ. Hope they've learnt their lesson with Vista.
Old 10th October 2009, 17:33   #139
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyWalker View Post
So looks like Jazz is the first market dud from Honda. Just as well - hubris should get a setback - and hopefully this improves their pricing strategy. Toyota did an excellent job here with Fortuner and Alts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by malgudi View Post
Has the Mighty 'H' (Honda) started to blink on the Jazz front? I saw ads in the Times of India newspaper from one of the Honda dealer(Linkway Honda) offering GPS Navigation system free with Jazz.
H is feeling the heat now on Jazz for sure. I was told by Honda sales today that they are now offering free insurance with Jazz.
Old 11th October 2009, 05:51   #140
BHPian

As usual excellent work GTO.
I don't think there is going to be any improvement in the Honda Jazz numbers. Being a Honda they are not going to reduce the price anytime soon and this is going to hurt them badly.
Coming to the luxury segment, I think with the new E class, BMW is going to take a back seat atleast for a couple of months or more unless they come up with some facelift for the 5 series.
Old 11th October 2009, 07:15   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi View Post
Despite staying in south mumbai, i hardly see any puntos. i guess i have seen around 5 since the launch. When we go out, my kids ask me to show a punto on road. Never cd I show one to them. Quite embarrassing in front of wife/kids as i have tomtommed it as our next car :(
@Minardi - PM me. I just got my black Punto MJD E+ delivered.

I have 3 Punto's on my road but agreed, not much. But not many i20 either. The area community would always go for a Dzire over 6.5-8 lac hatch. Dont you agree?
Old 11th October 2009, 08:07   #142
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Indigo Marina sold a mere 68 units in September. This only reinforces the fact that Estates suffer from an image problem in India and simply won't sell.
I just took a Meru cab yesterday. And with the talk with the driver, Icame to know that every month atleast 30 new Marina is added to his fleet. And he mentioned that these are not "sold" by Tata. Something like Lease of laptops.

Tata gives the car to Meru cabs and Meru cabs is suppose to pay some amount every month. In the end of 3 years, will be taken back by TATA and repalced with a new car.

So, are these also included in the sales figure released by TATA?
Old 11th October 2009, 13:55   #143
Senior - BHPian

I think Dr.Z's Mercedes-Benz plans should work very well, consider this for the last few months, Gujarat did not have a dealer, The E was being phased out, The S is up for a facelift, and the new C is really doing wonders, keeping all this in mind I believe with the new E / S and the updated C (New engines) they should be back leading the pack. While the new E looks boxy and not pleasing to a few, sit in one and it is one gorgeous place to be in. I think the best fight with MB and BMW should begin next year when both have their new models (E & 5).

What is surprising is how well the X6 is doing, any data for CLS? and how is the AMG selling? or is the data for them merged into their relevant models?
Old 11th October 2009, 15:10   #144
Senior - BHPian

fantastic report, excellent analysis.

if in such a high month jazz could do only 500 units, i guess it will go down further. price reduction or new variant (engine/transmission) at same price can help salvage it.

wonder what helped CRV get 77 sales in Aug, sept was the usual.
Old 11th October 2009, 15:50   #145
Senior - BHPian

bolero sales

@GTO

That bolero is ruling the roost in the countryside is no doubt, but the sales number is directly related to the fiscal's budget allocation for a popular rural scheme and the corruption thereafter.
Old 12th October 2009, 08:59   #146
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Beg to differ. Read on the Manza thread that it will be named "Indigo Manza"
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post1524166
Ouch, that sucks. Tata can do better by simply calling the car "Tata Manza"!

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicvj View Post
Poor Cedia, what else can they do? Hire the ford guys to do some magic n learn how to sell the same Fiesta over n again?
Believe it or not, at the time of the original Lancer, HM was leading the segment for some months (outselling the Honda City + Baleno). However, while Honda & Maruti launched newer sedans, HM continues to sell the 10 year old Lancer and the discontinued-otherwise Cedia. Mitsu has already launched the new Lancer (Cedia replacement) worldwide. In the 10 lakh segment, one really can't get away with selling outdated products. It kills the brand.

But HM, it seems, cannot get out of its Ambassador days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Coming to the luxury segment, I think with the new E class, BMW is going to take a back seat atleast for a couple of months or more unless they come up with some facelift for the 5 series.
The new E will take a while to fly as Merc has initially launched only the E350s. It is the E220 / E250 diesel that will bring the numbers to the E.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjothi View Post
Tata gives the car to Meru cabs and Meru cabs is suppose to pay some amount every month. In the end of 3 years, will be taken back by TATA and repalced with a new car.

So, are these also included in the sales figure released by TATA?
Sure would. Even if the car is leased, it is sold from the factory to XYZ company (even if its a Tata group company) that will in turn lease cars to the end customer.

However, the information I have on Meru is different. Meru drivers pay 500 - 750 bucks per day as "rent" to Meru, the company. Anything they make over and above that is the drivers to keep. It is Meru that leases / owns the car, and no the driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
I think Dr.Z's Mercedes-Benz plans should work very well, consider this for the last few months, Gujarat did not have a dealer, The E was being phased out, The S is up for a facelift, and the new C is really doing wonders, keeping all this in mind I believe with the new E / S and the updated C (New engines) they should be back leading the pack. While the new E looks boxy and not pleasing to a few, sit in one and it is one gorgeous place to be in. I think the best fight with MB and BMW should begin next year when both have their new models (E & 5).
Mercedes overslept and paid the price. BMW started off on an extremely aggressive note, enjoyed the freshness of their brand and backed the cars up with outstanding service packages + service quality.

Where is Merc's 5 year complete coverage, I might ask?

Quote:
any data for CLS? and how is the AMG selling? or is the data for them merged into their relevant models?
Too small to report probably.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanwaramit View Post
wonder what helped CRV get 77 sales in Aug, sept was the usual.
CRVs are only imported against customer orders. Shipments arrive in batches, hence the fluctuation month on month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzsys View Post
That bolero is ruling the roost in the countryside is no doubt, but the sales number is directly related to the fiscal's budget allocation for a popular rural scheme and the corruption thereafter.
Thanks for the info. Could you please elaborate on the details of this popular rural scheme?
Old 12th October 2009, 09:35   #147
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
However, the information I have on Meru is different. Meru drivers pay 500 - 750 bucks per day as "rent" to Meru, the company. Anything they make over and above that is the drivers to keep. It is Meru that leases / owns the car, and no the driver.
yes yes. I meant the car is a leased one for 3 years and should be back to factory in next 3 years. Meru leases it from TATA (or may XYZ? not sure) And Meru is suppose to pay a portion of money to TATA or XYZ.

Drivers, right, some of them do rent it out from Meru. Same as any other call taxi concepts.
Old 12th October 2009, 17:55   #148
BHPian

Does the discounts vary across the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidindica View Post
Punto now comes with discount. As in Delhi NCR
  • free insurance
  • free 3rd and 4th year extended warranty
  • free 4 years roadside assistance (not a typo)
  • benefits upto 30,000 depending upon the variant.
  • scheme from 9th to 24th October.
I called up Concorde Bangalore they confirmed on these two but not on other two
free insurance -- Yes
free 3rd and 4th year extended warranty -- Yes
free 4 years roadside assistance (not a typo) -- not sure
benefits upto 30,000 depending upon the variant. -- not sure

Has anyone got more information about the the last two items?
Old 12th October 2009, 19:44   #149
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsan02 View Post
Has anyone got more information about the the last two items?
Look up the NEW car price check thread. I believe someone has posted there as well.

Will be interesting to see the markets response to the GP.

Quote:
Discounts so soon after launch?

The real discount they can give customers is by plonking in atleast the 90bhp VGT and pricing it the same . Now, that'll have me standing in line for it
Spoken like a true enthusiast! All I can say is

Last edited by GTO : 12th October 2009 at 19:47.
Old 12th October 2009, 20:47   #150
BHPian

i think its quite a hardwork put up by GM guys..
Spark is going strength to strength.. slow but steady.

i20 is creating waves.. It has become a benchmark in the segment.. Actually it is defining the segment. Koreans stand tall amidst the Czechs, Japs & Amercans.
I believe Hyundai understands the nerves of India !! Way to go !

Are you sure - CR - V just 1 unit in Sep 09.

Most Viewed