Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2009, 12:41   #166
Senior - BHPian

My uncle took delivery of a verna yesterday.
Old 17th October 2009, 12:53   #167
Distinguished - BHPian

Have Booked the CRUZE around the same time
Old 17th October 2009, 14:40   #168
BHPian

It seems the mood to splurge has come back this Diwali season.

Here is a extract from Telegraph Kolkata about the car sales of Major dealers (in Kolkata) in last few days. So I guess it will be much more in Delhi/Mumbai.

Quote:
"CARS SALES UP BY: 30%
The festive spirit revved up car sales across all segments after a dull year when several manufacturers launched new models in a futile bid to beat the downturn blues.
Mukesh Hyundai’s VIP Road showroom “delivered” 58 cars on Dhanteras and recorded 54 bookings.
Mohan Motors, the Maruti dealer on AJC Bose Road, rolled out 75 cars and received 64 bookings. “Alto was our pop pick, driving 40 per cent of our sales,” said a spokesperson for the showroom.
Dewar’s Garage, the Maruti dealer on Council House Street, also handed over 57 cars to their new owners on Thursday.
Chevrolet dealer Dhulichand Motors, on the EM Bypass, delivered 23 cars and took 22 bookings. Lexus Motors, the Tata Motors showroom on AJC Bose Road, sold 45 cars on Thursday.
Pinnacle Honda, on the EM Bypass, also did “great business” with 60 car deliveries in a single day, said a spokesperson. "
Old 18th October 2009, 10:41   #169
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by beejay View Post
On Dhanteras, over 25,000 cars were delivered; Maruti alone delivered 8,000 cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram_NP View Post
It seems the mood to splurge has come back this Diwali season.
Niiiiiiiceeeeeee! Auto sales, even before the actual month of Diwali, have been climbing unscaled heights. October will see loud fire crackers being set off at Indian car factories
Old 22nd October 2009, 00:17   #170
BHPian

And this leaves an important point to be considered by product launch managers of CRUZEs, MANZAs, SX4s and some more which may be launched in November... Are they not late by few weeks?
The festive buying kicks on by start of Navratras. Please give people some time to make up their mind and decide for your new car.
Old 23rd October 2009, 12:46   #171
GTO
Team-BHP Support

^ rove_drives : Good point. The Cruze made it well in time, as did the Fortuner. The Manza just about (bookings opened though deliveries will go longer). The updated SX4 has missed an opportunity (very unlike Maruti to do so), the sales meter revvs at high rpms over the festive season.

That's another reason why we've had a slew of launches in the recent past, and no significant car coming our way for another 3 months. The next important launch is in December / Jan (Chevrolet Beat).
Old 23rd October 2009, 15:17   #172
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Yep the Diwali month launches should actually happen a month prior to truly cash in.

Again the nest slot for Launches would be as 2010 model (with 2010 manufacturing) in period after Jan 15 but prior to feb end for the 31st March year end deperciation benefit.
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:38   #173
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
^^ The world on the street (rural that is, and as told to me by a Mahindra dealer) is that the Bolero is far more "robust" than the Xylo. Semi-urban and rural buyers seem to regard the Bolero more than they do the Xylo. Taxi companies prefer the Innova.
i second that. on my trip to himachal i saw more boleros than scorpios. and trust the villagemans judgement in buying a utility vehicle.

cheers,
ac
Old 23rd October 2009, 16:45   #174
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
i second that. on my trip to himachal i saw more boleros than scorpios. and trust the villagemans judgement in buying a utility vehicle.

cheers,
ac
But then isn't the bolero much more cheaper to buy, own and maintain than the Scorpio and Xylo. So it may not have that much to do with reliability.

A mahindra Xylo sales person once told me that they believe the only reason the Bolero continues to sell well (actually the best for them) is the price point.
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:17   #175
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post
But then isn't the bolero much more cheaper to buy, own and maintain than the Scorpio and Xylo. So it may not have that much to do with reliability.

A mahindra Xylo sales person once told me that they believe the only reason the Bolero continues to sell well (actually the best for them) is the price point.
yeah true. as the bolero does not come with all the creature comforts of the scorpio. and it is a fact that the bolero is way more reliable than the scorpio.
reliable might not be the right word, but tough may be the right word.

cheers,
ac
Old 23rd October 2009, 18:40   #176
Senior - BHPian

FIAT sales

Any idea how was FIAT sales during Diwali?
Old 23rd October 2009, 21:43   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac 427 View Post
and it is a fact that the bolero is way more reliable than the scorpio. reliable might not be the right word, but tough may be the right word.
Probably there is no right word
My relatives in a small village in Karwar district (karnataka), living a day to day life among the hills will vouch for a mahindra jeep (you can include bolero to that category) compared to any modern vehicle. Mind you there is no dealer within 30 kms and if you are stuck in a rainy night among creatures for your company, there is no place to hide except in your own vehicle! What is that they love in these old vehicles? Reliability to some extent but for sure ease of maintainance. You should be able to fix small to medium issues with no help from modern equipments. Hmm, for sure I don't know what to call that
Old 24th October 2009, 00:10   #178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by highsteem View Post
Reliability to some extent but for sure ease of maintainance. You should be able to fix small to medium issues with no help from modern equipments. Hmm, for sure I don't know what to call that
Perhaps "Open Architecture".. inspired by "Open Source" in the IT world. anyone anywhere anyhow can tinker with it.. no rights reserved.. no "but sir, your warranty would be null and void"!
Old 28th October 2009, 09:42   #179
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

The thread has gone off on a tangent about mahidra jeep reliability.

Yep the reliability is there (especially in the bolero class). but reliability due to lack of modern day creature features may serve a purpose for our rural masses, but should not be taken as a yard stick to call the bolero more reliable than the scropio.

It is cheaper than the scopio due to having lesser features and hence is more reliable and hence sells more in the interiors and that's all there is to it.
Old 28th October 2009, 12:21   #180
Senior - BHPian

Jazz and such Jazzy Price tags...!!!

Fortuner:

In the last month I have seen more Fortuners' than I see safari's or corolla's.
Why - Pricing and product positioning. Simple business rules.

----------------
Jazz:

Just like many of us here, I travel lots of KMS a week for work/life purposes and its in the niche area's of bangy which represents a good % of sales mix of the overall Indian Auto Scene.
I saw what may be the 2nd/3rd Jazz SINCE ITS LAUNCH in INDIA. I may be exxagerating, but it shows in the 1st page #s.

Looks like the bubble breaking car - Broke like a Bubble...!!

(I was specifically thinking of this thread today morning when i saw the white Jazz today)

GTO:
Why dont we make this a running thread for every month sales figures of Indian Auto Industry? This would be a semi-clear indicator of pricing strategy and products' reliability. Semi - Bcoz, there are still un-informed people and will bite that bad apple any day.

Most Viewed