Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:15   #241
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harishnair View Post
If you take Indian market in particular it is a very price conscious market. If they have no budget constrains every Indian aspires to own a sedan rather than a hatch.A sedan gives more prestige in owning than a hatch (atleast in india). Jazz qualifies to being a 2nd car and how many indians can afford that.

Also spec wise its inferior to the i20 which provides a diesel engine with curtain airbags and alloys for the price of the jazz.
The answer !

Eight lac OTR for a hatch with a petrol engine? They need to change the tea/coffee brand they us at their board meeting and/or maybe read more Indian auto mags and forums to realize what they are losing out. Look what did they did to CRV pricing!
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:20   #242
BHPian

Looked at the excel sheet on sales comparisons.

Jazz sold close to 800 in festivity.

I remember Honda people saying at launch of Jazz that they did not expect Jazz to drive numbers. But they were happy that Jazz is having healthy margins.
Basically, it all appeared as if they were making statements that Jazz is focussed at a specific group, which will give Honda owners and distinctive pride of ownership... something which everyone is not having.
This may be true because in one years time, there will be many i20s and Puntos but very less head turning Jazz.
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:25   #243
BHPian

'Bakvaas' is the word for it.. i mean sure the car is great with many talents but the pricing is idiotic to say the least. I would probably have digested the prices too if the features and the engine spec matched the asking price. Probably if they would've given the ANHC's 1.5 unit with some more features it wouldve been a better proposition, but i guess they feel better off fleecing their customers.
What a shame, i never thought i'd be so bitter about such a great automobile company.. Hats off to you Honda, keep up the effort and am sure i'd be joined by many more!!
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:37   #244
BHPian

There was a festive offer for Jazz - 4.99% loan. This could be one of the reasons for more Jazz being sold last month.
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:40   #245
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Eight lac OTR for a hatch with a petrol engine? They need to change the tea/coffee brand they us at their board meeting
Looks like they are actually a particular variety of herb.

As others have pointed, it is more about getting value for the moolah you pay - people having 8 megs will gun for a sedan rather than a hatch; that said, I think that the features will slowly catch on, it may take time and have some teething problems in terms of customer acceptability and perception (as in *8 lakh for a hatch") but it surely will catch on.
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:41   #246
PCS
BHPian

KARPUSV has confirmed that he will soon post the data !!!
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:44   #247
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by achinthg View Post
There was a festive offer for Jazz - 4.99% loan.
This could be one of the reasons for more Jazz being sold last month.
What festive Honda ? X'mas?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaCkSeAtDrIVeR View Post
Looks like they are actually a particular variety of herb.

As others have pointed, it is more about getting value for the moolah you pay - people having 8 megs will gun for a sedan rather than a hatch; that said, I think that the features will slowly catch on, it may take time and have some teething problems in terms of customer acceptability and perception (as in *8 lakh for a hatch") but it surely will catch on.
biju a Jazz owner says it got bad back seat comfort ( as per his family) and he got back ache coz of bad front seat design.

You don't pay 8lac for this!
Old 3rd November 2009, 20:51   #248
BHPian

You can never say that Jazz is City without boot because City has 1.5L engine and Jazz has 1.2 L. Honda priced it very high which lacks some a more powerful engine,Alloy wheel and some more features for this price. Either reduce the price or provide a more powerful engine+ features for same price (which will never happen ).
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:08   #249
DRC
BHPian

Honda guys here in India seem to thing they command better snob value than Merc and beemers. I agree they have good cars, but there are better cars in that segment and much cheaper too.
BTW, i do not see any innovative features in Jazz either. Tell me one feature which is new or worth paying so much money.
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:13   #250
Senior - BHPian

Maybe Jazz was launched merely to improve the sales of ANHC.. people come to showroom seeing the wacky jazz advertisements and stupefy listening the price and come to the conclusion that ANHC is not overpriced at all and book the sedan.
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:15   #251
BHPian

VFM the Jazz is NOT! But it does make up for it in a few other ways.

Lets look at my case. We, as a family walked into the Honda dealership looking to book the ANHC, and we had pretty much decided on it before we had even test driven it. However, this one look at the Jazz and we were hooked. As a second car it was just perfect. Great interiors, efficient engine and more importantly, nice dimensions. We got her a month ago (ownership report pending) and she's just what we need.

OTR, an i20d Asta with similar specs works out to the same amount as the Jazz ( 4 airbags short though). But we never wanted another diesel gaadi. Plus, we dont really want blistering performance from Jazz. We have our primary car for that. Look at it as a practical alternative to an ANHC rather than a rip-off compared to a Punto 1.4

Indians being the lot that we are can't get our minds around the prestige issue offered by a sedan, even if it makes more sense not to opt for one.

To sum up - what works against the Jazz is that it is not a diesel and it's a hatch.

Last edited by Nitronium : 3rd November 2009 at 21:17.
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:26   #252
BHPian

I think every market is price conscious and looks for value, most of these cars are cheaper in developed countries and if you take into account purchasing power parity even cheaper so the idea that India is particularly price conscious is imho not valid. Which car market is not price and value conscious?

Maybe if it was a 1.5 engine it would be value, but with a 1.2 only few folks will see the value prop to go ahead. But then by pricing it as it did I doubt Honda was looking at big numbers.
Old 3rd November 2009, 21:38   #253
BHPian

@Nitronium
This is exactly what i said earlier Jazz is a good second car. But when a customer is looking for a primary car he takes all the facts in to consideration and so the i20 diesel proves to be more VFM.The same customer will also consider buying a sedan if he has 8lakh to spend.
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:01   #254
BHPian

I think the issue with Jazz is not price as such but VFM. City is hot selling since it is genuinely a leader in it's segment, its really hard to find any big flaws in it, and it's resale value is also excellent for it's segment.

The Jazz has poor low-end torque, doesn't handle as well as the Punto, interior quality is inferior to i20 and isn't the most powerful or fuel efficient car in it's segment. If Honda was expecting people to ignore all that and buy it just because it is a Honda, perhaps there are only limited number of people who would buy like that and they have all gone out and got their's. Clearly if it had come with the 1.5 engine it would have been more successful, but Honda tried to maximize profit by taking advantage of the excise slab for sub 1.2 engines without really passing on much of the benefit to customers.
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:16   #255
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rove_drives View Post
This may be true because in one years time, there will be many i20s and Puntos but very less head turning Jazz.
'very less head turning' Jazz right?

But it is a head turner because people will get "which is that car" question in their mind when they see one. Honestly, I have seen only two Jazzs on road yet.

There will be many i20s on the road but it won't be the case for Puntos. They will be sold less in numbers as long as the Assophobia prevails.... and, isn't it more a head turner than Jazz?

Honda should either stop Jazz production or reduce its price.

Last edited by clevermax : 3rd November 2009 at 22:25.

Most Viewed