Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:36   #256
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post
interior quality is inferior to i20 and isn't the most powerful or fuel efficient car in it's segment.
I was looking forward to Jazz launch and dreaming of price tag of 6.5lacs OTR . I think interior quality is quite good ,heck its way way better than ANHC and surely not that inferior to i20 !!I think its got decent FE of 11-12km/l. If it had 1.5 i VTEC and alloys at present price maybe it would have been of decent value. I think Hyundai must thank Honda to make their expensive i20 look like VFM after Jazz launch. Had Honda priced it atleast a lac cheaper it would have sold almost double units!!
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:38   #257
Senior - BHPian

One of the problems with Jazz is that you get a more VFM Honda for a little more money which is also a sedan, the ANHC. A bigger engine at the same price would have been good.
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:54   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chncar View Post

(the Jazz) doesn't handle as well as the Punto, interior quality is inferior to i20 and isn't the most powerful or fuel efficient car in it's segment.
Therein lies the answer. The Jazz has reasonably good handling AND nice interiors. Best of both worlds don't you think?

The lack of low end torque is annoying at times, but nothing that you cant get used to. The Punto makes a strong case with its handling prowess but at 85% of the Jazz's price(top end) gives you substandard fit and finish (important to someone popping nearly 8L) and plus, the 1.2 ltr engine is barely comparable to the one in the Honda.

Last edited by Nitronium : 3rd November 2009 at 23:05.
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:56   #259
BHPian

1.5L in Jazz with Automatic gearing at current price would have been decent VFM considering its Honda. Anyother brand its still expensive.Take the case i20 1.4L Automatic. I hear Linea 1.4 Tjet with slightly spruced up interiors would be available for 8.5Lakhs and odd. I think Jazz more appeals to guys who already own a luxury branded car and looking for premiumish hatch for running errands,etc.
Old 3rd November 2009, 22:59   #260
Senior - BHPian

The Jazz is no doubt a good car and I loved the test drive very much.

However, when it comes to buying one, the typical calculative brain of the Indian customer kicks in. When one can spend a little over one lakh extra to get a sedan (ANHC) why would he go in for a hatch at 90% of the sedan's price?

Again, as stated by a lot others, it can be looked at as a second car in the family but not the primary one.
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:09   #261
BHPian

[quote=Nitronium;1564308]Therein lies the answer. The Jazz has reasonably good handling AND nice interiors. Best of both worlds don't you think?

The lack of low end torque is annoying at times, but nothing that you cant get used to. The Punto makes a strong case with its handling prowess but at 85% of the Jazz's price(top end) gives you substandard fit and finish (important to someone popping 8L) and plus, the 1.2 ltr engine is barely comparable to the one in the Honda.[/quote

Us guys want mostest bang for the leastest buck, man. The Jazz delivers a whimper for major money, and doesn't even have a trunk to boot! (pun intended)
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:25   #262
BANNED

basically they make the cars here and sell them at CBU prices. i am fedup with honda prices going up every 6 months. the jazz at 8 laks, the city at 11 laks, the civic at 16 laks the accord at 22 laks, the accord v6 at 30 laks and the crv at 30 laks. compare this to people of dubai or some other country they will laugh and say oh in our country you could buy a bmw 3 instead of a CRV
Old 3rd November 2009, 23:39   #263
BHPian

My take on the consumer behavior here.

Here, we are looking at two customer segments - the brand conscious (here, Honda - can be hatchback, or sedan, or whatever), and the price conscious. I'll call the first one as seg1, second as seg2. One factor common to both is getting VFM (either in term of brand or of price, respectively for seg1 and seg2).

Brand consciousness becomes a factor of brand positioning and the target customer perception. Here, the social background for seg1 (british and american exposure to the Indian society in car buying) makes us perceive the sedan as having VFM w.r.t. b brand. Hence for same brand, ANHC becomes better VFM.
For seg2, VFM being in terms of price, Jazz does not necessarily become VFM in this respect. Now the seg2 customers will target hatches due to price.
Hence looking at customer profile, it becomes something like this (for customers buying cars in 2 to 9 lakhs range ... not true figures, but representative only):
B segment cars (2 to 3.9 lakhs) - 45%
B segment cars (4 to 5.9 lakhs) - 20%
B segment cars (6 to 7.9 lakhs) - 5%
C segment cars (5.5 to 6.9 lakhs) - 20%
C segment cars (7 to 9 lakhs) - 10%
..... hence C segment gobbles up a lot of the supposed-to-be market share for high end B segment.
Old 4th November 2009, 00:50   #264
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesal View Post
basically they make the cars here and sell them at CBU prices. i am fedup with honda prices going up every 6 months. the jazz at 8 laks, the city at 11 laks, the civic at 16 laks the accord at 22 laks, the accord v6 at 30 laks and the crv at 30 laks. compare this to people of dubai or some other country they will laugh and say oh in our country you could buy a bmw 3 instead of a CRV
Obviously you have NO idea how much BMW rips off the people in the UAE. A new 335 in Dubai (250,000Dhs) costs more than an ///M3 in the US. Heck, you can buy a new Aston or slightly used R8 for the same price of an M3 (~360K-380K Dhs).

And it's not all hunky dory outside India. Take the Nissan Pico (Indian export of the Maruti Astar) - it sells for roughly 7000 quid in the UK which translates to 550,000 rupees which is a hell of a lot for a CBU import, if you go along that route.
Old 4th November 2009, 01:17   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post

Us guys want mostest bang for the leastest buck, man. The Jazz delivers a whimper for major money, and doesn't even have a trunk to boot! (pun intended)
windiesel. You exemplify the average Indian mindset. Have you ever ACTUALLY seen a Jazz's boot? What it lacks by means of a traditional boot is MORE than made up by the innovative and extremely useful fold up/down seats. And moreover, the boot is fairly spacious even with the seats up. Instigate not an argument you can't 'win' (pun definitely intended )
Old 4th November 2009, 07:20   #266
BHPian

Is it possible to know indica sales and vista sales separately, just wanna know how the vista is doing against swift
Old 4th November 2009, 07:34   #267
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitronium View Post
windiesel. You exemplify the average Indian mindset. Have you ever ACTUALLY seen a Jazz's boot? What it lacks by means of a traditional boot is MORE than made up by the innovative and extremely useful fold up/down seats. And moreover, the boot is fairly spacious even with the seats up. Instigate not an argument you can't 'win' (pun definitely intended )
Ha Ha, nice one, pal. You're right about the boot, and poor me's left out in the cold... and no indian is queing up outside the Jazz showroom!!
Old 4th November 2009, 07:45   #268
BHPian

By pricing the Jazz at 8L, Honda made it clear that they were going for a more sophisticated kind of buyer who wants quality over quantity.

By putting a mediocre 1.2L engine in the Jazz, they then tried to make a 'premium' car cheaper.

Since Honda couldn't make up their mind, they shot themselves in the foot.

I would have considered a Jazz 1.5 for 9L, but with the 1.2 engine its probably slower to 100 km/h than my 5-year old Swift. So what's the point?
Old 4th November 2009, 07:55   #269
BANNED

I more or less agree with the End. I may add one more point - the Indian car buyer has a bias against hatches! I think the only (partial) exception is the Swift v Dzire.
Old 4th November 2009, 09:21   #270
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

For I L more you get the city which is so much more of a car, and definately safer etc, even for those in the premium segment looking for a second car as a jazz (say for wife), it just makes more sense buying the city as the second car as it would be safer and more practical to have have a proper car with a boot.

Frankly the jazz is over priced by a clean Rs. 1L and a downward price revision on that front would sort out things and they could even beat the I20, but is may be too late.

Most Viewed