Team-BHP > The Indian Car Scene

Search this Thread
Old 6th October 2009, 16:31   #46
BHPian

For a hard core Ford fan like me, its heartening to see sales touch 3500 unit mark!!
Old 6th October 2009, 16:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

Good to see Spark is doing well. Wonder why the A-star is losing ground all the time. Looks like lack of space and high price are bringing its sales down.
Old 6th October 2009, 16:59   #48
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPARKled View Post
Wonder why the A-star is losing ground all the time. Looks like lack of space and high price are bringing its sales down.
A-Star lower end models are clearly overpriced. Their prices should be brought down to 2.75 - 3.25 Lakh range.

While Wagon-R and Estilo offer much better interior space than A-Star, Maruti can't expect good sales for A-Star just because of its good-looks or mileage.

Give it an extra length of 200mm. Or, attach a boot to it, fit the 1.2Ltr K-series engine and make a try! Will be a competition to Indigo CS sedan also.
Old 6th October 2009, 17:19   #49
oss
BHPian

Excellent work there karpusv.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveenvenkatesh View Post
The swift is doing really descent numbers. Sep was its highest with 9663 units. Its amazing for a car that was launched 4-5 years back to be doing such great numbers.
BTW, is the 1.3L petrol swift still being sold or the bookings stopped for that?

i20 is going like a rocket (4152 units)!!!!
Frankly i never expected i20 to do such large numbers. It's amazing to see how i20 has expanded this whole Premium Hatchback segment and established itself as a leader there - which Fabia has failed to do.

Honda should wake up from its dream now and start pricing realistically. Unlike the C-segment, they have plenty of competition in the Premium hatch segment, and they can't get away with ridiculous pricing, which shows up in Jazz's numbers.

Even the Fabia is outselling Jazz, not withstanding it's not so great engine and poor A.S.S. and costly spares. Lesson is if you want premium pricing, then give premium features and premium interiors.

Quote:
This festive season has been really phenomenal for auto companies. Almost all models have done well, with few exceptions like Jazz and A-star.
The Sep and Oct sales number will be quite high this year i think.
Absolutely; it is not just the YoY figures, but even the sequential growth has been really good.

Quote:
General public was liking the H badge because there is no other credible alternative in the C segment. Hence City rules there. But there are credible alternative in the segment that Jazz is present. So people are not seeing value at that price point.
Well said. Honda is able to milk the C-segment for lack of matching competition for ANHC. But why would anyone care to pay so much for the 'magic seats' in Jazz

Either Honda should bring in the 1.5 iVtec in Jazz without changing the price, or reduce the price of the 1.2 version by atleast a lakh. I am sure Honda will do neither, but increase the price by a lakh after putting in 1.5 engine, and increase the prices of City and Civic to maintain the pricing gap between them

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
i20 numbers have suddenly gone up for last 2-3 months. Is it a Diesel effect?

Punto has clocked over 5K in 3/4 months. I guess Punto should do 2K at least. Currently doing on an avg 1600. FIAT must be happy to sell 10K Linea and 5K Punto in last 9 months. I hope they will introduce new engines asap.
Think diesel is doing the trick there. Fiat better bring out the powerful diesel versions to improve their sales.

Last edited by oss : 6th October 2009 at 17:29. Reason: Typos
Old 6th October 2009, 17:20   #50
Senior - BHPian

Some vehicles that need to be put to rest are:
  • Ford Fusion (Hopefully by this year end) - only 683 units sold through out the year (Jan-Sep)
  • Fiat Palio - 600 units sold (Jan - Sep)
  1. Other question that comes to my mind is what was Honda's annual target for the Jazz? 10K Units? They have already achieved almost 5K units
  2. After hovering between 250-500 throughout the year, howcome Fabia suddenly sold 400 more units to reach the current level of 900?
  3. Indigo Marina is a nice car. Only utilized by Taxi services now.
  4. Aveo needs a diesel big time. only 2k units sold till date.
  5. I think Logan will die sooner or later. How many logans have they produced till date? Wasn't the contract limited to 50K units?
  6. Lancer-Cedia combined have sold only 629 units! how are they surviving?
  7. Only 1 CRV sold by Honda in September
  8. 1 Tuscon sold? who is the buyer? Was this a "Limited" edition production? Some very old stock I guess!
Will talk more later.
Old 6th October 2009, 17:30   #51
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

Good compilation,

Accord scored a reveral over the Superb,

Civic again generated more interest and got a reversal on the Altis.

Octavia going down, jetta waking up, laura gaining.

Fabia doing much better numbers in recent times, infact defeating the Jazz.
Old 6th October 2009, 17:30   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Market share

A – Segment
800 leads the pack with 79% market share. Though the Nano is very new, this segment will see a change in the due course of time

A + Segment
Alto leads the pack with 34% market share. Maruti (Alto, Wagon-R, A Star, Estilo) together has a share of 64%, Hyundai (i10 and Santro) has 30% and the rest taken by GM (Spark)

B – Segment
Indica leads the segment with 43% market share. Maruti (Swift and Ritz) together has a share of 51% and the rest of the cars form the remaining 6%

B + Segment (premium Hatch)
i20 leads the segment with 60% market share. Punto with 18% share, the rest shared between Jazz, Fabia.

However, i20 has been around from Jan 09, Punto and Jazz are the new entrants. These numbers are bound to change over the next couple of quarters

Entry Level Sedan (C-)
Dzire leads the segment with 44% market share. Indigo with 26% share. The rest of the share the remaining 30%

C – Segment
Honda City leads the segment with 44% market share. Followed by Verna with 16% and Linea with 13% market share. SX4 is down with at 12%, it needs a diesel engine desperately.

C + Segment
Altis leads the segment with 32% market share followed by Civic with 22 % market share.

D – Segment
Accord leads the segment with 43% share and Superb with 33% share. Toyota must assemble the Camry in India to take away the share from the competitors.

Luxury – Entry Level

C Series leads the segment with 47% share followed by 3 Series with 33%

Luxury - Mid

5 Series leads the segment with 54% share followed by E class with 29% share

Luxury - High End

S Class leads the segment with 51% and the 7 Series takes 41% share

UVs

Omni is the undisputed king in the UV segment with 37% share followed by Bolero with 28%

MUVs

Innova is still the leader with 38% share followed by the Xylo with 28%.

Entry Level SUVs

Scorpio is the leader with 72% share and the remaining share is taken by Safari

SUVs

Endeavour leads with 27% share followed by Fortuner with 21% share. Fortuner is all over the competition. The Fortuner is bound to take the crown here to be the segment leader.

Luxury SUVs

Q7 is the segment leader with 33% share followed by X5 with 25%

PS: Attached excel sheet with the calculations.
Attached Files
File Type: xls Jan-Sep-2009.xls (42.5 KB, 578 views)
Old 6th October 2009, 17:31   #53
Senior - BHPian

Great Work,

Thanks Karp I was eagerly waiting for this data from you. Infact started biting my nails even waiting for the data, not sure why I was excited as if I was waiting for exam results.
Old 6th October 2009, 17:41   #54
oss
BHPian

Quote:
The swift is doing really descent numbers. Sep was its highest with 9663 units. Its amazing for a car that was launched 4-5 years back to be doing such great numbers.
BTW, is the 1.3L petrol swift still being sold or the bookings stopped for that?
Swift is doing wonders to Maruti & Suzuki. Amazing numbers there even after 4yrs since launch and no major facelift. Even after the launch of Ritz, the numbers haven't come down. Imagine what will happen to competition when they bring in the 1.2 K-series engine and bring down the price further

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilead View Post
Fiesta has clocked decent numbers due to the 5.4L offer I guess. I wonder how the Accent moves a 1000 units consistently without any real marketing effort.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel_head View Post
For a hard core Ford fan like me, its heartening to see sales touch 3500 unit mark!!
Fiesta has finally overtaken Verna - Team-BHP effect?!

In the C-segment the growth has come entire on account of ANHC & Fiesta - both have grown 50% + over Aug09 sales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
  1. Other question that comes to my mind is what was Honda's annual target for the Jazz? 10K Units? They have already achieved almost 5K units
Whatever be the target, Honda will maintain their statement that "This is the volume we expected to sell"

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
  1. I think Logan will die sooner or later. How many logans have they produced till date? Wasn't the contract limited to 50K units?
At this rate they might never reach that number. Let them better bring in the facelifted version and price it sensibly.
Old 6th October 2009, 17:42   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Great Work,

Thanks Karp I was eagerly waiting for this data from you. Infact started biting my nails even waiting for the data, not sure why I was excited as if I was waiting for exam results.
Same here.. Even i was nervous before I started reading the sales numbers...I have not been like this even for my exam results!

Regards,
Sathya
Old 6th October 2009, 17:47   #56
BHPian

Fiat sold 10 Palios in Sep. I don't know why they are even selling such embarrassing number at all. They should discontinue it and put those recourses to better use!
Old 6th October 2009, 18:09   #57
BHPian

Wow! Honda City and Civic doubled/trippled in September. Anyways, in MOM percentiles Fiat 500 grew the most Good to see Linea moving up by another 11% from August, but bad number for Punto. Bad decision by Fiat not putting the VGT diesel. What happened to SX4? It is selling almost same as Aveo and less than Logan. Or is it competing with Jazz (same price anyway)? Maruti is anyway rocking with Swift+Ritz+DZire.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:10   #58
xPK
BHPian

@nkrishnap, that's some quality compalation (again).
Was really looking for that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by romeomidhun View Post
Give it an extra length of 200mm. Or, attach a boot to it, fit the 1.2Ltr K-series engine and make a try! Will be a competition to Indigo CS sedan also.
Never thought that way, but I guess it will definitely look better than dezire.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:10   #59
oss
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACM View Post

Civic again generated more interest and got a reversal on the Altis.
How did you infer that mate? Altis is still the segment leader and has been consistent with that number. Civic sales has gone up due to the launch of so called facelift, and should settle back in the earlier levels in the next couple of months.

Let us see if Jetta sales improves once they bring in the Turbo Petrol.

EDIT:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendro View Post
What happened to SX4? It is selling almost same as Aveo and less than Logan. Or is it competing with Jazz (same price anyway)?
I think it is due to reduced supply on account of product stop. Once they bring out the new SX4 with the new engine, it should be back in the reckoning. Hope they give a decent engine this time, with some decent milege figures.

Last edited by oss : 6th October 2009 at 18:29.
Old 6th October 2009, 18:42   #60
BHPian

Fiesta clocking in 2081 numbers in Sept compared to 1381 in Aug. Good jump. But one can attribute this to stock clearance of low end diesel model by selling it at 6.43 ex-showroom. For Ford I see this number going up a bit or atleast being maintained for the month of Oct as well.

Honda City doubled its numbers - wow. Come on other car makers, up the game to make it more competitive for Honda City. They are having a ball I shud say.

Linea has been consistent and good 100 cars more in Sept compared to Aug. I see them maintaining 1000 odd numbers or going up a bit mainly because Fiat has started advertising majorly for Linea now. Lots of Print and TV ads and minimal cash discounts as well. With the launch of Tata Indigo Manza things shud get interesting here.

SX4 - One can attribute this to the upgradation of the existing model. Once the new model rolls, this will clock excellent numbers.

Verna - Steady as ever.

What I would be interested is Diesel and Petrol breakups for Fiesta, Linea and Verna. One can do some interesting analysis on that.

Thanks karpusv for the numbers.

Most Viewed